Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2019 8:28:31 PM EDT
For those who have used it, is the FLIR Scout PK thermal monocular (the low resolution, ultra low priced model in the scout line) adequate for small game/varmint detection in eastern woodland areas at relatively short range (under 100yds)?
All of the videos I see online use large, relatively hot targets, and don't give a good indication of how it might perform with raccoon sized game animals.
I'm curious if it can be used to augment my existing white light back yard varmint system.

Any experience or testimonials of thermal spotting for trash pandas/ possums/skunks,etc are welcome.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure of that particular model OP, but I have the original FLIR Scout that I picked up about 5 or 6 years ago.  Works fine as a cheap scanner for me picking up coons, possums, fox, yotes, etc at 100 yards.  I've used it to detect large game out in Montana that were probably 1/4 or even 1/2 mile away.  Couldnt tell if it was an elk or a deer but detected it.  I use mine for scanning and have been able to see the difference between coons and yotes at about 60-70 yards in pitch black night conditions.  If something bigger comes in like a fox or yote I get on the gun for positive ID with ditial NV/IR illuminator before pulling the trigger.  Probably a lot better options out there these days but sometimes you can get by with less expensive things if you're willing to.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an old Flir PS32 that will definitely make out small critters at those distances. Resolution isn't great, but it lets me know something is out there. Not sure how the specs stack up to the Scout PK though. Probably somewhat similar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top