Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2018 11:16:18 AM EDT
I just purchased a FLIR PTS223 and I'm trying to understand the Standby mode.  The manual doesn't give much information.  What is the purpose of this mode and how do you use it?  Im assuming that it keeps the optic "warmed up" so that you dont have to wait as long for it to power on?  If thats the case, how do you switch it from standby to on?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems to work correctly after updating the firmware.

With the unit powered on, a quick turn all the way to standby will blank out the screen. And likewise a click turn back to on will instantly restore the screen.

Prior to update,  if I accidentally switched my unit to stand by it would generally hose the whole system up to the point where I had to remove the batteries to re-boot.

If you wish to update your firmware send an email to flir.

Edit:

https://www.flir.com/support-center/rma/return-or-repair-flir-outdoor--tactical-products/
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It seems to work correctly after updating the firmware.

With the unit powered on, a quick turn all the way to standby will blank out the screen. And likewise a click turn back to on will instantly restore the screen.

Prior to update,  if I accidentally switched my unit to stand by it would generally hose the whole system up to the point where I had to remove the batteries to re-boot.

If you wish to update your firmware send an email to flir.

Edit:

https://www.flir.com/support-center/rma/return-or-repair-flir-outdoor--tactical-products/
View Quote
Man you have just about figured out all of my issues that I currently have with my 233. I was beginning to kind of regret my purchase but I'm interested to see what the update does in real life.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Man you have just about figured out all of my issues that I currently have with my 233. I was beginning to kind of regret my purchase but I'm interested to see what the update does in real life.
View Quote
I'm glad to help with this. I think this is a great little scope for two grand that's capable of a lot of heavy lifting.

I've killed a bunch of shit with mine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm glad to help with this. I think this is a great little scope for two grand that's capable of a lot of heavy lifting.

I've killed a bunch of shit with mine.
View Quote
I really do appreciate it. Its been to hot here and I've been on 6 day rotations and worn smooth out. My wife did off a few armadillos with it though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I really do appreciate it. Its been to hot here and I've been on 6 day rotations and worn smooth out. My wife did off a few armadillos with it though.
View Quote
Cool wife!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cool wife!
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome, thanks so much for the help!  I was racking my brain trying to figure it out
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Im having the same issue, I got the invite just now and downloaded the zip file from flir.  Now, how to get the firmware on the unit?

ETA  nvm, i just disconnected the usb-c and it started the update.  All is good now.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure if this is psychsomatic( probably) or not, but after the firmware update, the PTS233 looks amazing.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 1:21:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if this is psychsomatic( probably) or not, but after the firmware update, the PTS233 looks amazing.
View Quote
I noticed that also.  I brought it to okinawa to play with.  On vacation.  Is that legal btw? Wanted to show it to my eagle driving son
 Downloaded the firmware today and wow...cant wait to get back to tx and smoke some hogs.  I use this as a handheld and a reap ir on my lwrc six8-a5.  Sentinels are awesome as well as the dbal d2 on my sbr 300blk.  Need to get back home.  16 hr flight
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 1:31:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I noticed that also.  I brought it to okinawa to play with.  On vacation.  Is that legal btw? Wanted to show it to my eagle driving son
 Downloaded the firmware today and wow...cant wait to get back to tx and smoke some hogs.  I use this as a handheld and a reap ir on my lwrc six8-a5.  Sentinels are awesome as well as the dbal d2 on my sbr 300blk.  Need to get back home.  16 hr flight
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'd be the guy to ask then, give me a rundown on the reap vs the pts. Obviously they are in a whole different class and shouldn't even be compared, but how is the range and clarity between them? I have a handful of nights behind a reap and its incredible, but now I'm spoiled. I'd love to get thermal and the pts is the most realistic price wise. So how useful is the pts along side the reap?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 2:56:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You'd be the guy to ask then, give me a rundown on the reap vs the pts. Obviously they are in a whole different class and shouldn't even be compared, but how is the range and clarity between them? I have a handful of nights behind a reap and its incredible, but now I'm spoiled. I'd love to get thermal and the pts is the most realistic price wise. So how useful is the pts along side the reap?
View Quote
Pts is nice.  I use it as a detection monocular.  It sees pigs 1000m away.  The reap is just incredible...its on my lwrc six8-a5.  The 233 is a great unit and great bang for the buck.  I have it saved on my 300 blk in one of the boresight locations.  I have it around my neck for the stalking.  Great when the moon is down since the wp sentinels struggle past 300m when there is crappy ilum.

I love the 233s. Even more with the new firmware.  Cant wait to get back to texas!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 3:50:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pts is nice.  I use it as a detection monocular.  It sees pigs 1000m away.  The reap is just incredible...its on my lwrc six8-a5.  The 233 is a great unit and great bang for the buck.  I have it saved on my 300 blk in one of the boresight locations.  I have it around my neck for the stalking.  Great when the moon is down since the wp sentinels struggle past 300m when there is crappy ilum.

I love the 233s. Even more with the new firmware.  Cant wait to get back to texas!!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right on, thanks for the info. I use a pvs14 now and it's great for driving around and general use, but I know I'm missing coyotes because they go undetected. I said this in another thread, but my minimum requirement for thermal would be being able to pick up an obvious signature on a coyote at 500yds. I dont need to identify, just need to be confident there is some animal there, identify at 250-300 would be great.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#14]
All, just a heads up, the email address found on the flir website link posted above does not hyperlink correctly.  If you click on the email link it is directed to [email protected] and they won't respond.  They email needs to go to [email protected] - you can copy and paste from the flir website or from here and they will get you set up
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
All, just a heads up, the email address found on the flir website link posted above does not hyperlink correctly.  If you click on the email link it is directed to [email protected] and they won't respond.  They email needs to go to [email protected] - you can copy and paste from the flir website or from here and they will get you set up
View Quote
That's weird. When you press the link to send an email on the above website link I posted it changes the email address.

I went back and checked my original email request for RMA to send my unit in which prompted the firmware update discussion and it is to the correct address.

I pressed that same link to initiate the return of my scope for repair.

Wonder why they changed it? Weird.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#16]
And a pic.  OP delivers!
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Not too shabby, any guesses on ranges?
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I’m assuming this is after the firmware update?
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm assuming this is after the firmware update?
View Quote
No, before.  I have some pics i took friday night but havn't downloaded them yet.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess I'm just going to have to call flir because they won't reply.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I guess I'm just going to have to call flir because they won't reply.
View Quote
Call Denise, email is worthless.

Denise Lopez +1 888-959-2259

[email protected]

Its hit or miss if she answers, just keep at it.  Flir customer support doesn't impress me.  but i did get my unit upgraded
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Call Denise, email is worthless.

Denise Lopez +1 888-959-2259

[email protected]

Its hit or miss if she answers, just keep at it.  Flir customer support doesn't impress me.  but i did get my unit upgraded
View Quote
Their customer support is awful.

To get the update I called their number that came in the box with the PTS233. I got no answer but left a message. No call back in a day so I did it two times the next day and left messages. No return calls. I called back the next day after that and finally got through to someone who told me they didn't do that and I would have to send my info to an email address and ask them for the update.

I sent in the request with all the info on the thermal and got a reply the next day that they did not handle that kind of stuff and that I would have to call the same number I have been calling the last 5 days.

I called the same number and this time got someone who knew what they were talking about and took my info and serial number from the thermal and in about an hour sent me the file.

Dealing with what should be an VERY easy fix has given me pause about buying from Flir in the future as their customer service seems to be very lacking.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn, that's definitely not fun to hear. I wish Trijicon would come out with some lower priced stuff, they seem to be easy to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I haven't got the update yet.... Sent an email to the export email address and no reply.  Sent an email to the support email address on friday i think and i got a reply at like 2am saturday asking where i was located and what firmware version my unit had.  I responded but haven't received a reply back
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder why they keep the firmware locked up like that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I wonder why they keep the firmware locked up like that.
View Quote
Export sensitivities is the it was explained to me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I haven't got the update yet.... Sent an email to the export email address and no reply.  Sent an email to the support email address on friday i think and i got a reply at like 2am saturday asking where i was located and what firmware version my unit had.  I responded but haven't received a reply back
View Quote
This is the person who eventually picked up the phone.  Email her direct.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Damn, that's definitely not fun to hear. I wish Trijicon would come out with some lower priced stuff, they seem to be easy to deal with.
View Quote
I know these reports are disconcerting and I am not a flir cheerleader by any means.

Before the boson line came out I thought the flir RS series was one of the worst thermals available. (As far as the image is concerned)

Anyway, I recently shipped my PTS233 back to the factory to have the sensor cleaned because it had something visible in the display and my total turnaround time from my first email contact, which included three days of hearing nothing from them until I got my shipping label, mailed it off, and received my scope was less than 3 weeks.

Persistence is the key to dealing with any customer service issues.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I emailed [email protected] so I guess we will see.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Can someone for the love of God send me the fucking file? Lopez sent me the file in a "box" collaboration which made me install some fucked up app on my computer and it only pulls up a fucking PDF which wont open because it says the file is corrupted or not decoded right from the emailer.

Fuck you FLIR!
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I emailed [email protected] so I guess we will see.
View Quote
At least you got a response... I emailed yesterday and still nothing.  I'm about to start calling every day until someone responds to me.  This is pretty much my first FLIR product and the CS is disheartening to say the least
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I called several times and got her on the phone.  She emailed me the box link and i just finished the update.  The standby mode works now.  I haven't taken it outside yet to see if the performance is different as ive seen a few state.

@bullf-16 thanks so much for your help
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I was able to take it out and use it some last night.  The good:  The standby setting works now and I do believe the visual performance of the unit is improved.  The bad: About 50% of the time when I turn it on the screen goes blue and the unit freezes up.  I have to turn it off and then turn it back on to get it to work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top