Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2018 5:44:47 PM EDT
So I'm working on getting my FFL and I have a quick question. I searched on the net and ATF website and can't find the answer.

If I was to buy a firearm(s) from unlicensed person, do face to face transactions have to take place at my place of business? Example: I go to look at a collection that someone inherited and I decide to buy some or all of it for resale. Can I preform the transaction at their site? I did see the section and laws pertaining to selling a firearm, but I could not find any thing related to acquisition.

Thanks in advance, Im sure I'll have more questions in the future.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If I was to buy a firearm(s) from unlicensed person, do face to face transactions have to take place at my place of business?    
View Quote

Your FFL allows you to acquire firearms anywhere, from anyone.
Dispositions on the other hand are only from your licensed premises or a gun show/special event.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
You can buy all the estates and collections you want to, but if you sell to a non-licensed person, you must run the 4473 unless they have a concealed license that is recognized or you can sell to another FFL holder without the BG check.  I have purchased a few estate collections over the years and depending on what you get, you can make some money doing it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feed back guys. Im in the process of jumping through the hoops with my city to get a business license. once I find out if my plan will work I'm going to drop the ATF and state paperwork.

My Brother-in-Law owns a antique store and often buys estates or is asked to go through "grandma/Grandpas" house and see if there is anything of value that the heirs can sell. He deals mainly in furniture and small household items. He is often approached or asked about buying or what to do with gun collections and he doesn't obviously have the ability to deal in firearms.

He has bought some accessories in the past and I've helped him price them to sell on Ebay or sell in the shop. My goal is to establish a small part-time business at first where I can buy items for cash, clean them up, work on them if needed and sell them through gunbroker or other Auction sites. MY BIL has been pestering me to get moving as he is quite often approached and is unable to help the seller.

My guess is I could be buying and selling somewhere in the range of 30-50 guns/year. He is hit up 2-3 times a month constantly, he could refer them to me and should I buy something I offered to kick him back 10% of the profit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top