Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2018 10:45:29 PM EDT
How many have been to a Ducks unlimited banquet or the like and have has an FFL doing transfers at the banquet?
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 12:52:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Ours are handled in-store on the next business day. Though theoretically it could be done easily with a camera phone and a 4473 as long as the buyer has a pistol permit. AL doesn't require NICS if the buyer has a pistol permit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Does the "banquet' meets the conditions of a qualifying event?  (Question 17 on page 2 & 5 of the 4473).

I seem to recall this getting asked previously.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.. it could be done easily with a camera phone and a 4473 as long as the buyer has a pistol permit....
View Quote
HUH?
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does the "banquet' meets the conditions of a qualifying event?  (Question 17 on page 2 & 5 of the 4473).

I seem to recall this getting asked previously.
View Quote
The ones I have been to do. It is a broad definition:

A gun show or an event is a function sponsored by any national, State, or local organization, devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms, or an organization or association that sponsors functions devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms in the community.

I have a group of friends that meet for pizza that meets that definition.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
HUH?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.. it could be done easily with a camera phone and a 4473 as long as the buyer has a pistol permit....
HUH?
When working gun shows we take pictures of pistol permits and d/l with a camera phone and email them to the shop email to later print out and keep with the 4473.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When working gun shows we take pictures of pistol permits and d/l with a camera phone and email them to the shop email to later print out and keep with the 4473.
View Quote
ROFL - fail on so many levels. You should really better protect your clients personal data.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/21/2018 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How many have been to a Ducks unlimited banquet or the like and have has an FFL doing transfers at the banquet?
View Quote
We've provided this service at several Ducks Unlimited and Friends of NRA events.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We've provided this service at several Ducks Unlimited and Friends of NRA events.
View Quote
I've done the same with FFLs I've worked at, but we ended up switching to claim tickets (with a list of winners' names and phone numbers), as it was much better than trying to do it there at the event.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You should really better protect your clients personal data.
View Quote
You're assuming his phone isn't encrypted and protected with a good password/policy, and that his email server has poor security.
There are plenty of government and corporate places which likely have the same PII data and are far less secure. Think of all the places you've provided similar data to. Any single employee there could've collected and sold it.

Hopefully he's deleting it after he's done.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You're assuming his phone isn't encrypted and protected with a good password/policy, and that his email server has poor security.
View Quote
Since 99.999% of internet traffic is not encrypted, and the huge cost for applications that provide end to end encryption, I think that is a reasonable assumption.

Perhaps he can share with us his encryption application stack.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#13]
While it's a good idea, there is no legal requirement for a private entity to protect PII.

I actually brought this up at an ATF seminar not long ago - do they have any guidance for FFL's on protecting the data on the 4473's, because selling copies of pages 1 and 2 would net more money with a lot less risk of prosecution for a criminal than selling guns out the back door does.  Answer I got "NOT OUR PROBLEM".
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
While it's a good idea, there is no legal requirement for a private entity to protect PII.

I actually brought this up at an ATF seminar not long ago - do they have any guidance for FFL's on protecting the data on the 4473's, because selling copies of pages 1 and 2 would net more money with a lot less risk of prosecution for a criminal than selling guns out the back door does.  Answer I got "NOT OUR PROBLEM".
View Quote
This.
What I find ridiculous is the idea that a licensee feels the need to photograph anything.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.
What I find ridiculous is the idea that a licensee feels the need to photograph anything.
View Quote
Licensee (and gun owner in general) belief's of what is a "best practice" is very bizarre, and almost never takes negative consequences into the thought process.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Licensee (and gun owner in general) belief's of what is a "best practice" is very bizarre, and almost never takes negative consequences into the thought process.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
True. Now if he had said they take a photo of the buyers DL, CHL, the bill of sale, the buyers truck, dog & wife..........I can understand that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top