Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2023 9:45:08 PM EDT
So, I know a 5320.20 is not necessary for FFLs.

Does that apply only to sole prop FFLs, or do partnership FFLs allow both partners to bypass the 5320.20?

Does it only apply to guns on the books, or is their personal collection also exempt?

I can't find any concrete details on this.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Only guns in your books.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
So, I know a 5320.20 is not necessary for FFLs.

Does that apply only to sole prop FFLs, or do partnership FFLs allow both partners to bypass the 5320.20?

Does it only apply to guns on the books, or is their personal collection also exempt?

I can't find any concrete details on this.
View Quote

only guns currently registered to the FFL.

as long as your partners or whomever are RPs or whatever the term is on the FFL, it applies to all persons on the FFL.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IHTFP08:

only guns currently registered to the FFL.

as long as your partners or whomever are RPs or whatever the term is on the FFL, it applies to all persons on the FFL.

View Quote

So they need to be "on the books" - got it.

So putting my personal firearms in the A&D covers them. Any downside to doing this? I can just log them back out as I see fit, can I not?

Anything I'm not thinking of?
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:39:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IHTFP08] [#4]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

So they need to be "on the books" - got it.

So putting my personal firearms in the A&D covers them. Any downside to doing this? I can just log them back out as I see fit, can I not?

View Quote

Considering the .20 is only needed for certain NFA items, you'd need to pay $200 to transfer them to your business (and another form 4, $200, and year wait to transfer back to yourself). I've kept my personal SBRs/Silencers I had before my FFL out of my books. Anything new since SOT has remained on form 3.

Non NFA items don't need anything special to be transported interstate.

Each time you transfer a firearm from your business to yourself, make sure to do the 4473 and NICS if required. I'd minimize the amount you do this, mainly just for the paperwork of it. Each 4473 is a chance to mess up, so don't do it unnecessarily.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:  So they need to be "on the books" - got it.

View Quote

If you're a sole proprietorship, you can just log Title 1s back out.

If your FFL is held by an LLC or other corporate structure that helps protect you from personal liability, then you have to do a 4473 every time a Title 1 firearm is transferred to you.

Title 2 firearms don't transfer willy nilly, they transfer on Forms through NFA Branch with taxes and tax stamps and multi-month delays.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Gotcha, so it needs to actually be registered to the FFL, not just on the books of the FFL. Clear.

I'll just fill out the stupid form.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top