Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2022 9:18:42 PM EDT
I’m thinking hard about becoming a FFL, but keep getting stuck on this issue-

I work full time away from home, as does my significant other. - I solved that easily enough- open an account with UPS store and use them for my mailing address. However… I live on/in a state line area, and the UPS stores would be across state lines. Is that an issue? I’d be restricting transfers appropriately to handguns/others on my side of the border etc, but will shipping to another state cause problems? This is the only hurdle I’m having trouble solving. Thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You cannot use UPS Stores or PO Boxes as official FFL Locations (Addresses), so it's a moot point. It was one of the first questions the IOI asked me when getting mine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You cannot use UPS Stores or PO Boxes as official FFL Locations (Addresses), so it's a moot point. It was one of the first questions the IOI asked me when getting mine.
View Quote

Really? I was pretty confident I could use a UPS store mailing address so long as I wasn’t using it as my premise address.

Example of most of this forum saying that’s ok:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Using-the-UPS-store-as-a-shipping-address-/44-513323/
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh I see what you're saying, only for shipping but still have your home address as the FFL location. Got it.

Disregard my previous comment then.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Bear in mind that even with a separate shipping/mailing address there are FFL's who will only ship to your premises, or they'll screw up and not realize there is a separate shipping address on your license.  So, expect to have packages arriving at your premises during the day, and even with signature required the drivers are still dropping and running.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bear in mind that even with a separate shipping/mailing address there are FFL's who will only ship to your premises, or they'll screw up and not realize there is a separate shipping address on your license.  So, expect to have packages arriving at your premises during the day, and even with signature required the drivers are still dropping and running.

View Quote

Yeah, I get, and expect that, but want to try to get most of them first go, as I know most ffl customers are hawking their tracking data and want it asap, and feel this could work well. I just don’t know if being on opposite sides of a state line is an issue or not.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, I get, and expect that, but want to try to get most of them first go, as I know most ffl customers are hawking their tracking data and want it asap, and feel this could work well. I just don’t know if being on opposite sides of a state line is an issue or not.
View Quote

Only one way to find out and that's mail in your application. Or email the FFL branch of the ATF. But it sounds like your premise address would be the state laws you'd be following.

If it was approved, I'd make a copy that you send to other FFLs and Use a large marker, big arrows etc "SEND FIREARMS TO THE MAILING ADDRESS!!!!!!"

Receiving packages at my home while away can sometimes be an issue, and I'm think of adding a mailing address of the local CVS or something.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Only one way to find out and that's mail in your application. Or email the FFL branch of the ATF. But it sounds like your premise address would be the state laws you'd be following.

If it was approved, I'd make a copy that you send to other FFLs and Use a large marker, big arrows etc "SEND FIREARMS TO THE MAILING ADDRESS!!!!!!"

Receiving packages at my home while away can sometimes be an issue, and I'm think of adding a mailing address of the local CVS or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be surprised how little people in a paperwork central business tend to read important stuff. USPS is the only carrier who considers our premises address to be (example) "1234 Firearms Access Drive", whereas every other carrier, and the ATF consider the address to be "1234 Firearms Drive".

Because of this, we've got 1" tall red letters printed diagonally on every FFL we send out that state "USPS SHIPMENTS MUST BE ADDRESSED TO "1234 FIREARMS ACCESS DRIVE".

I'd bet every day we still get a call from somebody that says "Uh, the USPS website says your address doesn't exist, do you want me to mail it somewhere else?"
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You'd be surprised how little people in a paperwork central business tend to read important stuff. USPS is the only carrier who considers our premises address to be (example) "1234 Firearms Access Drive", whereas every other carrier, and the ATF consider the address to be "1234 Firearms Drive".

Because of this, we've got 1" tall red letters printed diagonally on every FFL we send out that state "USPS SHIPMENTS MUST BE ADDRESSED TO "1234 FIREARMS ACCESS DRIVE".

I'd bet every day we still get a call from somebody that says "Uh, the USPS website says your address doesn't exist, do you want me to mail it somewhere else?"
View Quote
I've had a few instances when the USPS site(click and ship) won't let me enter the shipping address as written on the license. I even called the FFL and they told me the address was what's on the FFL. I ended up googling it and found the correct address to be different than the license.

Example, the license said 1234 highway 73 SR West Nowhere OH 35478. The address that worked and was the exact same location and what worked for USPS was 1234 w. main st  Nowhere OH 35478.

I called back and they were like, oh yeah thats us. "Why the fuck didn't you write that on the license?" And further more when I called I asked about the address they popped off on me like I was the first one who ever had that issue.

Fucking maddening!
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]
The state line is irrelevant. We have an FFL in IL with a KY mailing address because that location is seasonal and open for 3 weeks out of the year.

It's no different than having a PO box mailing address and a physical premises address. They don't care where the mailing address is. Your biggest problem will be confusion from anyone who ships to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top