Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2018 10:09:11 AM EDT
I have been reading and it looks like the Type 07 can do the the same as Type 01 and before submitting my application I would like to know:

- What are the I need to have when the ATF comes to inspect my home?

Safe?
Locks?
Alarm?

thanks
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been reading and it looks like the Type 07 can do the the same as Type 01 and before submitting my application I would like to know:

- What are the I need to have when the ATF comes to inspect my home?

Safe?
Locks?
Alarm?

thanks
View Quote

You don't even need a front door.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You don't even need a front door.
View Quote

I just want to know if its a "requirement". I am not planning on storing guns, and transfers that I will be doing, will be with the seller bringing the firearm and buyer present.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I just want to know if its a "requirement"...
View Quote
If you don't even need a front door, why would you think it was a requirement to have a lock, safe alarm, etc?
What's required
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am not planning on storing guns, and transfers that I will be doing, will be with the seller bringing the firearm and buyer present.
View Quote
How many of these types of deals does your Business Plan forecast?
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just want to know if its a "requirement". I am not planning on storing guns, and transfers that I will be doing, will be with the seller bringing the firearm and buyer present.
View Quote
You may need the front door. You don't need the rest, according to a lot of guys, they were not asked anything about that during interviews. Some mentioned being asked about locks, I believe.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are the I need to have when the ATF comes to inspect my home?
View Quote

Any business licenses required by your locality or state to hold an FFL.
A copy of your incorporation or LLC agreement if you are not running as a sole proprietor.
Zoning variance, if ordinances prohibit a home-based business.
Permission from HOA, if you have one that regulates businesses (some do).
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You may need the front door. You don't need the rest, according to a lot of guys, they were not asked anything about that during interviews. Some mentioned being asked about locks, I believe.
View Quote
Every FFL applicant should be aware of the Safe Storage requirement. It has nothing to do with locks on your doors, alarms or safes.
It is the requirement to have child resistant gun locks or other safe storage devices available at your premises.

Again, there is no ATF regulation that requires any physical security measures. If the IOI asks, a "no" does not disqualify the applicant.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How many of these types of deals does your Business Plan forecast?
View Quote
its mostly for friends that work with in the police dept.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
thanks for the tips
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Every FFL applicant should be aware of the Safe Storage requirement. It has nothing to do with locks on your doors, alarms or safes.
It is the requirement to have child resistant gun locks or other safe storage devices available at your premises.

Again, there is no ATF regulation that requires any physical security measures. If the IOI asks, a "no" does not disqualify the applicant.
View Quote
Thank you for that. I am planning using the basement of my property that has its own entrance to do business. definitely the best way to keep it separate and from kids coming down.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
So it is a hobby not a business.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
If they know that you have an FFL they will inevitably ask you to order in guns for them.
Expecting to limit your business activity to being the middle man for private transfers isn't a good plan
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thank you for that. I am planning using the basement of my property that has its own entrance to do business. definitely the best way to keep it separate and from kids coming down.
View Quote
You mentioned having kids, they will then ask about locks and safes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
FFS, NO REQUIREMENT TO HAVE A SAFE, LOCK, OR FRONT DOOR.
The IOI can ask you if you voted for Hillary, it won't stop you from getting your FFL.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The IOI can ask you if you voted for Hillary, it won't stop you from getting your FFL.
View Quote
I never said you HAVE to have it, but they WILL ask about it and suggest you get one depending on the circumstance (ie kids)

We have a local FFL that was forced to buy a safe for their handguns after three consecutive break ins and thefts.... they didn't secure their guns the fourth time and their license was pulled (they never put any effort into securing anything).

As long as you meet the legal requirements they can not prevent you from getting an FFL, but things will be a lot smoother if you follow their advice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I never said you HAVE to have it, but they WILL ask about it and suggest you get one depending on the circumstance (ie kids)  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP asked about what is REQUIRED, not what meets the IOI's personal checklist.
Yet right below you say ATF will pull a license for not having a safe and the licensee "was forced to buy a safe".......AGAIN ATF cannot force a licensee to do anything of the sort.

We have a local FFL that was forced to buy a safe for their handguns after three consecutive break ins and thefts.... they didn't secure their guns the fourth time and their license was pulled (they never put any effort into securing anything).  
Yet WalMart doesn't use a safe on their guns and doesn't lock their doors either.
Do you know for a fact that the FFL was pulled for not securing firearms?
I have never heard of a dealer losing his FFL due to solely to theft.

As long as you meet the legal requirements they can not prevent you from getting an FFL, but things will be a lot smoother if you follow their advice.  
If your IOI says to install cameras would you do it? How about an armed guard on premises? See where "advice" that isn't required by regulations can go?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Based on my experience, his FFL was pulled for something other than you think it was.

On my inspections, suggestions were made, but I was not required to get anything, I live in a childless house and my shop does not have a safe, but I have never had any problems.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#18]
My IOI never did ask about safe storage for the firearms.  She just wanted to make sure the snake cage for the 15' reticulated python in the office was locked.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Correct. For now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If they know that you have an FFL they will inevitably ask you to order in guns for them.
Expecting to limit your business activity to being the middle man for private transfers isn't a good plan
View Quote
True. Something to consider
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
that wouldn't be a problem,I have my personal safe, but for this, I can get a safe, but I don't how big should I go? I guess it would depend on how much Im willing to safeguard. Door that goes down has a lock on top of the door the kids can't reach.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Correct. For now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. For now.
If you tell atf this is a hobby , your FFL will get pulled quick , fast,  and in a hurry !
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't ever mention you want a license for a hobby!

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Don't ever mention you want a license for a hobby!

View Quote
Understood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top