Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2018 10:04:59 PM EDT
Have a friend/coworker who does hydro-dipping as a hobby. He has done a shotgun stock and forearm for me and it turned out great.

I've asked him about doing more work for me (lowers, pistols, etc). He says he can't do anything with a serial number because

It would be considered 'manufacturing'. So the question is, does he need an FFL to be able to hydro-dip an item with a serial number?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If he is engaged in the  business of refinishing  (which includes camo dipping)  on the serial numbers parts, i.e. the "gun", he does need a FFL, but those activities are not considered “manufacturing”

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/license-needed-engage-business-engraving-customizing-refinishing-or-repairing-firearms

https://www.atf.gov/file/55461/download
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If he is engaged in the  business of refinishing  (which includes camo dipping)  on the serial numbers parts, i.e. the "gun", he does need a FFL, but those activities are not considered “manufacturing”

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/license-needed-engage-business-engraving-customizing-refinishing-or-repairing-firearms

https://www.atf.gov/file/55461/download
View Quote
Thanks for the intel and links. I will forward it to him. Unfortunately now he can't do some of the stuff I wanted!
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Learn to do your own hydro dipping of your own weapons OP. Your friend can probably teach you everything you need to know.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have a friend/coworker who does hydro-dipping as a hobby. He has done a shotgun stock and forearm for me and it turned out great.

I've asked him about doing more work for me (lowers, pistols, etc). He says he can't do anything with a serial number because

It would be considered 'manufacturing'. So the question is, does he need an FFL to be able to hydro-dip an item with a serial number?

TIA
View Quote
He does not need an FFL to do that, and that is not what defines MFGing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 2:23:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks for the intel and links. I will forward it to him. Unfortunately now he can't do some of the stuff I wanted!
View Quote
If I remember correctly, if you were to stay at his place while the work is being done, you will be ok. Additionally, I have done gunsmithing for friends and did not accept any pay for the work, so I was not "engaged in the business" at that time. Just like loaning a gun to a buddy for him to hunt with etc.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, if you were to stay at his place while the work is being done, you will be ok. Additionally, I have done gunsmithing for friends and did not accept any pay for the work, so I was not "engaged in the business" at that time. Just like loaning a gun to a buddy for him to hunt with etc.
View Quote
I was kind of thinking along those lines too. Just happen to leave a gun at his place after a hunt or day of shooting and when I go back to pick it up

It just mysteriously got dipped!. Then I just accidentally drop some cash on his kitchen table on my way out the door. I know it's splitting hairs, but it's highly unlikely to raise any eyebrows.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

He does not need an FFL to do that, and that is not what defines MFGing.
View Quote
After checking the links provided above, I realize it's not considered manufacturing but is considered gunsmithing which I believe requires the FFL.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
After checking the links provided above, I realize it's not considered manufacturing but is considered gunsmithing which I believe requires the FFL.
View Quote
Not if he is not engaged in the business, which based on what you wrote, he clearly is not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not if he is not engaged in the business, which based on what you wrote, he clearly is not.
View Quote
Gotcha! Thanks for all the replies
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top