Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2019 1:16:46 PM EDT
Who are y’all using for insurance.  My insurance buddy suggested going through the NRA, but I have not looked into yet.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I would recommend you contact Joseph Chiarello & Co.  Summit, New Jersey

Google them and fill out their initial contact form.

I have had very good advise and dealings with them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve toyed with the idea of starting a home based business, what kind of insurance factors should be considered? stock, store front, liability?
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I fully intended on getting insurance when I got my license... but the one I talked to wanted $100 a month. I live in a town of less than 600 people. Draw a 20 mile circle around me and there is less than 1,000. I got my license because I was tired of driving an hour one way to transfer something, so I knew others did as well.

So, I am running without insurance. But then again I live in a part of the world where your word still means something and a handshake goes a long way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I fully intended on getting insurance when I got my license... but the one I talked to wanted $100 a month. I live in a town of less than 600 people. Draw a 20 mile circle around me and there is less than 1,000. I got my license because I was tired of driving an hour one way to transfer something, so I knew others did as well.

So, I am running without insurance. But then again I live in a part of the world where your word still means something and a handshake goes a long way.
View Quote
My auto shop insurance is $175 a month, i would take $100 a month.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:So, I am running without insurance.
View Quote
 That is crazy.  No way in hell should you be operating uninsured.

Who pays up if...

* Someone gets hurt on your property?
* Fire?
* Theft?
* Other?
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Who pays up if...

* Fire?
* Theft?
* Other?
View Quote
Hurt: Cross that bridge if we get there. Being a home based I only do appointment only. So people are just coming to transfer firearms, slip and fall is about my biggest concern. Like I said people out here are good folks. They understand accidents happen and are not generally sue happy. People talk out here.. even if someone is sue happy in the town 30 miles away you know who it is and as an FFL holder nothing requires me to do business with them. This is not my primary source of income so I have no heartburn turning someone away. Like I said, I am doing this more as a convenience to like minded gun owners.

Fire loss: Being home based I have maybe 2 guns on hand at a time that belong to the business at most. So total stock cost is usually less than 6-8 months of insurance.

Theft: From the moment you enter my property you are on camera. To get to the location where I do transfers you will be on 4 cameras, have to pass through 3 locked doors and finally the locked gun cabinet to access firearms. Additionally, wife runs a daycare so 98% of the time someone is at my house. The town covers an area of about 0.5 sq miles with a two city police a sheriff and deputy sheriff all living here. If something happens I don't even call 911. I call the sheriff or chief of police directly... for the daycare their response time has been less than 5 minutes, generally 2-3 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hurt: Cross that bridge if we get there. Being a home based I only do appointment only. So people are just coming to transfer firearms, slip and fall is about my biggest concern. Like I said people out here are good folks. They understand accidents happen and are not generally sue happy.
View Quote
Your neighbors may not be sue-happy but their health insurance companies are if one of them gets injured.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hurt: Cross that bridge if we get there. Being a home based I only do appointment only. So people are just coming to transfer firearms, slip and fall is about my biggest concern. Like I said people out here are good folks. They understand accidents happen and are not generally sue happy. People talk out here.. even if someone is sue happy in the town 30 miles away you know who it is and as an FFL holder nothing requires me to do business with them. This is not my primary source of income so I have no heartburn turning someone away. Like I said, I am doing this more as a convenience to like minded gun owners.

Fire loss: Being home based I have maybe 2 guns on hand at a time that belong to the business at most. So total stock cost is usually less than 6-8 months of insurance.

Theft: From the moment you enter my property you are on camera. To get to the location where I do transfers you will be on 4 cameras, have to pass through 3 locked doors and finally the locked gun cabinet to access firearms. Additionally, wife runs a daycare so 98% of the time someone is at my house. The town covers an area of about 0.5 sq miles with a two city police a sheriff and deputy sheriff all living here. If something happens I don't even call 911. I call the sheriff or chief of police directly... for the daycare their response time has been less than 5 minutes, generally 2-3 minutes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who pays up if...

* Fire?
* Theft?
* Other?

Dumb as the day is long.

Using your logic you should cancel your auto and home insurance.  Hell,  I'd cancel the day care insurance too if you have it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

....Like I said people out here are good folks. They understand accidents happen and are not generally sue happy....
View Quote
On what planet is this magical place?
You've been given sound advice, that you are choosing to ignore it is telling.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty irresponsible, since what you are effectively saying is if you accidentally harm someone, tough shit for them you are not going to help them out financially to cover their medical costs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Who pays up if...

* Fire?
* Theft?
* Other?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:So, I am running without insurance.

Who pays up if...

* Fire?
* Theft?
* Other?
Wouldn’t homeowners insurance cover those?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wouldn’t homeowners insurance cover those?
View Quote
Homeowners policies usually exclude coverage for home-based businesses.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My auto shop insurance is $175 a month, i would take $100 a month.
View Quote
I'm guessing that you do quite a bit of business and can roll that fee into your other operating costs fairly easily. This is AR15.com, where any FFL who charges more than 10 bucks per gun is considered to be charging an excessive fee by many
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#14]
GL insurance covers you from people looking to sue.

I do handyman work and carry $1mil. When I patch your drywall or repair your fence nothing I do will hurt anyone but there are thousands of people out there looking to get hurt.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 6:46:35 AM EDT
[#15]
For just a mere $100 a month /$1200 a year you are risking your lively hood. Your family’s Lively Hood. Your future and among a lot More.

Depending on if something if did happen and how big it was. You could be harming the lively hood of family members who aren’t even living there etc.

These days lawyers sue freakin everyone. It’s harder for the person to defend it so lawyers love to hit everyone with shit. Ask me how I know.

Fuck you Renneto and Renneto llp
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Lots of purse swinging but no answers to my question.

Where are yo7 getting your GL insurance?
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who do you use for your home/auto insurance? Start there and if they are a captive (state farm/farmer’s/etc.) reach out to an independent broker as well. Insurance isn’t one size fits all and varies state by state (hell, even by zip code sometimes) so one recommendation may be ten times more per year for you than it is for someone else and vice versa.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Seriously, where I (or any other dealer) get mine doesn't really matter.
Make a list of your needs, then find a plan that covers.

Google "firearms dealer liability insurance" and get quotes.
Insurance is regulated by your state. What gets covered in Texas may not not allowed in SC.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use Lockton Affinity, which is one of the NRA linked companies. Around $1,200 a year, solid policy coverage. Gunsmithing Liability and protection for theft/fire/destruction of customer guns was most important to me. No idea if it was the best option, but it's who I went with.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I use Lockton Affinity, which is one of the NRA linked companies. Around $1,200 a year, solid policy coverage. Gunsmithing Liability and protection for theft/fire/destruction of customer guns was most important to me. No idea if it was the best option, but it's who I went with.
View Quote
These are the folks I quoted as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top