Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2019 10:07:28 PM EDT
How can this be done legally? I'm a FFL 07 planning to manufacture rifles from complete receivers and need my company's city, state, and name placed on the receiver. I was told that I need a marking variance from the ATF to have another FFL engrave the receivers but I'm not certain this is true. I will be manufacturing less than 50/ year if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to contact you're local ATF office and ask them the same question(s).
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Engrave before they are considered receivers.

For example, you could have your 80% lowers engraved before you mill them.

Edit: Can you expand on what you mean by this..." planning to manufacture rifles from complete receivers"
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Start here:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/guide-requesting-marking-variances

There are a number of manufacturers out there who do a lot of variance work and can walk you through it.

My only experience is with New Frontier Armory.  They made the process extremely simple and had very low minimum orders for variance work.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Range tool is also setup to doing marking variance work:
https://www.rangetool.com/
[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll call my local field office about this
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is the correct answer.

Quoted:
Edit: Can you expand on what you mean by this..." planning to manufacture rifles from complete receivers"
And if this means he is going to take existing receivers made by someone else and assemble them with uppers to make a complete firearm, then no variance is needed to just send these lowers to an FFL/engraver and have them sent back. They just need to go out/in from his A&D book.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is the correct answer.

And if this means he is going to take existing receivers made by someone else and assemble them with uppers to make a complete firearm, then no variance is needed to just send these lowers to an FFL/engraver and have them sent back. They just need to go out/in from his A&D book.
View Quote
I will be purchasing finished AKM receivers and building them into complete rifles.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I will be purchasing finished AKM receivers and building them into complete rifles.
View Quote
Simple then.

Just send the receivers to an FFL/Engraver, making sure to log them out of your A&D book and of course verify the FFL. When the come back, log them in.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How can this be done legally? I'm a FFL 07 planning to manufacture rifles from complete receivers and need my company's city, state, and name placed on the receiver. I was told that I need a marking variance from the ATF to have another FFL engrave the receivers but I'm not certain this is true. I will be manufacturing less than 50/ year if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the help!
View Quote
The marking variance is necessary if the original manufacturer of the receiver is going to put YOUR markings on them instead if theirs.  This way you don't have two sets of markings on the receiver after YOU finish manufacturing the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top