Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2020 11:09:47 AM EDT
Looking for some feedback.

First 5 or 6 suppressors breezed right through with normal ATF wait times.

The last couple of suppressors I have purchased have ended up in FBI hold for months. The current suppressor I am awaiting ATF approval is now on FBI hold.

Nothing has changed that would prohibit me from owning firearms or suppressors. Heck, I have a FFL and a permit to carry.

Any ideas why I seem to be flagged for "special treatment"?

Would applying for a VOLUNTARY APPEAL FILE help solve these FBI delays?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for some feedback.

First 5 or 6 suppressors breezed right through with normal ATF wait times.

The last couple of suppressors I have purchased have ended up in FBI hold for months. The current suppressor I am awaiting ATF approval is now on FBI hold.

Nothing has changed that would prohibit me from owning firearms or suppressors. Heck, I have a FFL and a permit to carry.

Any ideas why I seem to be flagged for "special treatment"?

Would applying for a VOLUNTARY APPEAL FILE help solve these FBI delays?

thanks
View Quote

Maybe someone with a very similar name and info is now a prohibited person?
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I ran into the same issue with one of my suppressors being listed as "pending FBI background check" for an extended period of time with no one at BATFE willing to assist me.  I ended up contacting my Senator's (Grassley - R) office who was surprisingly very helpful in putting some fire under the BATFE's ass.  The BAFTE blamed the FBI.  The FBI blamed the BATFE.  Within a week of the Senator's office poking around I had my stamp.  Ended up being just shy of 19 months from time of submission.  This was not my first or only tax stamp either.  The current approval process is ridiculous.

Edit: I see you are in Iowa as well.  Contact Senator Grassley's people if it comes to it.  I can try to find my contact there if you need it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#3]
i have seven stamps now all form 4s for cans, 3 pending form 4s for cans and filed my first form 1 for an sbr on 10-15-20. my form 1 is in fbi delay and the atf says theres nothing that can be done about it
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ran into the same issue with one of my suppressors being listed as "pending FBI background check" for an extended period of time with no one at BATFE willing to assist me.  I ended up contacting my Senator's (Grassley - R) office who was surprisingly very helpful in putting some fire under the BATFE's ass.  The BAFTE blamed the FBI.  The FBI blamed the BATFE.  Within a week of the Senator's office poking around I had my stamp.  Ended up being just shy of 19 months from time of submission.  This was not my first or only tax stamp either.  The current approval process is ridiculous.

Edit: I see you are in Iowa as well.  Contact Senator Grassley's people if it comes to it.  I can try to find my contact there if you need it.
View Quote

Ya, I had to contact Grassley's people on the last two "FBI Hold" suppressors, ended up being just over a year from time of submission.  Interesting how once a senator's office gets to poking around the FBI that things just magically speed up....
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Update,

Senator Grassley's office made an inquiry on my behalf to the ATF and FBI and magically the same day they both approved my form 1 and form 4.

that process took about 4 weeks due to Xmas and the Kung Flu.

Simply amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top