Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2019 8:12:12 PM EDT
I typically use VTAC slings on my AR's and other 5.56 guns using QD swivels so that I can use the same slings on all my platforms.

I'd like to add a tactical sling to my 16 inch FAL so that I can start using it more often.  I've seen some examples online using buttstock sling adaptors and hooks on the front end.

I was wondering what people around here have been using.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a cheap bastid, I have two slings; one in OD and one in Coyote. What I did was buy a shit load of adapters, HK snaps, AK snaps, QR buttons , etc., etc.

The setup looks like this:

With a Whole Bunch of these ---

Single point, two point, three-point, all on the same sling.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm using a BFG VCAS on mine.  I like it.  My handguard-mounted swivel plus using their QR extension up front allows me to loop up and use the sling as a shooting aid, too.  Rear attachment is serviceable, but not optimal.  I saw a FAL sling adapter the other day I may try out that lets you attach the sling to one side or the other instead of the top like the rest I've found.  I've also considered mounting  sling swivel to the stock.  FNC fixed-stock version has some sort of side sling bar that attaches between the butt pad and stock (which look like the FAL's) that I wonder if it would work with the FAL.

Also, check out the SANParks anti-poaching FAL thread.  Lots of pics of FALs set up for modern tactical use including tactical slings, with a number of adaptations for rear attachment of a one or two point sling.

Link Posted: 9/24/2019 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Same sling I have on mine.  I use the A2 stock adapter on my FALs with standard stocks.  
The sling goes directly on my para with no adapter, since the para has the sling mount under the
rear sight.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I run a VTAC on mine with an hk hook and a "sling thing" adapter on the back and I made a custom sling swivel stud that replaces the handguard retaining screw. This is the best solution I've found for myself, it doesn't get tangled like the original front swivel and doesn't rattle hardly at all.

Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#5]
It's also possible to install a Noveske QD cup on a Steyr stock just behind the receiver.  I've seen that done.

I really like the handguard mounting myself.  I need to make a repro of my swivel, as I've been told it may be the only SA 2nd Gen. R1 Sniper swivel left in existence.  I'd rather have it with a QD cup instead of a permanent swivel, though.

I've also seen the standard swivel base be converted into a QD cup.  The South Africans sometimes will screw the base onto the side of a stock to allow for the use of a tactical sling, as well as various adapters.

And the FAL sling adapter I was thinking of in my earlier post is made by Specter Gear.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#6]
That front swivel that is attached tot he handguard screw looks like a good idea.  
I may have to copy that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That front swivel that is attached tot he handguard screw looks like a good idea.  
I may have to copy that.
View Quote
It wasn't too terrible, I bought everything from McMaster-Carr. It does however require drilling out the old threaded bushing on the left side handguard and pressing and gluing in a new bushing on the right side.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It wasn't too terrible, I bought everything from McMaster-Carr. It does however require drilling out the old threaded bushing on the left side handguard and pressing and gluing in a new bushing on the right side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may have to copy that.
I'm pretty sure a company makes or made a part that is drop-in and does the same thing.

Also, use of an MLOK handguard would allow one to mount the swivel just about wherever they want.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure a company makes or made a part that is drop-in and does the same thing.

Also, use of an MLOK handguard would allow one to mount the swivel just about wherever they want.
View Quote
Tapco used to make a screw for their t48-style handguards that did the same thing, it's what I originally looked for but couldn't find for months. So I found almost the same type of screw called a "Rod End Bolt" on Mcmaster.

However, as far as I've seen, all standard FAL handguards other than the tapco t48 and maybe a real t48, have the threaded insert pressed into the left side handguard which would be fine if I wanted the  fixed sling mount on the right side. Since I primarily shoot right handed I wanted the fixed sling swivel mounted on the left side of the rifle. Hence why I had to modify it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I went this route.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I went a similar route.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Aero scout 23 ,what sling is that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#13]
What route might that be?
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Dutch Buttplate.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Sling-thing from FALfiles and a keymod handguard.  I run a TAB gear standard biathlon sling.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/de007wq6kk0fukc/newfal18.jpg?raw=1

Sling-thing from FALfiles and a keymod handguard.  I run a TAB gear standard biathlon sling.
View Quote
Hey Stimpy, jeffrey from the files.
I have a couple of Sling Things sitting in one of my parts boxes.

I wanted to mount them, but couldn’t figure out how without inletting clearance into the butt stock. Just sticking it between the lower and the stock makes the tang inlets and screw holes too far off.

So is that what you did? WECSOG clearance in the butt stock?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hey Stimpy, jeffrey from the files.
I have a couple of Sling Things sitting in one of my parts boxes.

I wanted to mount them, but couldn’t figure out how without inletting clearance into the butt stock. Just sticking it between the lower and the stock makes the tang inlets and screw holes too far off.

So is that what you did? WECSOG clearance in the butt stock?
View Quote
I just didn't use that tang screw.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:51:25 AM EDT
[#19]
If I put a sling on teh FAL I use a Garand web sling or an AR silent sling.  The Garand sling will jingle some.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a STG 58 FAL with a Magpul PRS stock and am looking for a sling set up.Help.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:32:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Aero scout 23 ,what sling is that.
View Quote
Viking Tactics from DSG arms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top