Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2021 12:23:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brianvr6]
Past history: DS Arms SA58 was shooting really low with ~16" barrel, short front post bottomed out. I had to bump the rear up to 400 to get it on at 25 yds.

Just installed a DS Arms 21" new barrel, normal front post (not sure, no dots and I have not measured but about a medium 2 or 3 dot but this one is not marked with dots).
Lower receiver is now a steel unit from ARS.
Still shoots a bit low, but better than previous set-up. Front post bottomed out and rear sight at 300 to get on at 25.
Is it possible the upper and lower receivers are not mating up properly, like the upper isn't low enough into the lower?
I don't see a gap. Has anyone had this issue and fixed it? Can I file some off the rear bottom lug on the upper or is that a precision operation that needs to go on a mill?

Seems to pattern about 4-5" groups at 100 yds with ball, but no bags to shoot from.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Arizona Response Systems has called out DSA for being defective somewhere between the hinge hole and the lug. It would be worth giving him a call and seeing what he suggests.

You should also post back in here with the response so we can all benefit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Xanatos903:
Arizona Response Systems has called out DSA for being defective somewhere between the hinge hole and the lug. It would be worth giving him a call and seeing what he suggests.

You should also post back in here with the response so we can all benefit.
View Quote

I will, I emailed Mark so hopefully he has time to respond at some point. I saw he posted something about that somewhere but now I can't find it. And from what I remember there were no specifics how much material to remove.
I was hoping someone here has already had the same issue and fixed it.
I may just have to send it to ARS to sort out if I can't.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The last two FAL’s I’ve owned, I had to shorten the front sight to get them a ero’d.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GRMGR1:
The last two FAL’s I’ve owned, I had to shorten the front sight to get them a ero’d.
View Quote

So were they DS Arms? What barrel length?
I'm asking because the comments on forums in the past have always said short barreled FALs shoot low, but I am just seeing information that improper mating between upper and lower receivers could be the issue or at least amplify the problem.
Too bad the FAL wasn't designed with the rear sight on the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Brianvr6:

So were they DS Arms? What barrel length?
I'm asking because the comments on forums in the past have always said short barreled FALs shoot low, but I am just seeing information that improper mating between upper and lower receivers could be the issue or at least amplify the problem.
Too bad the FAL wasn't designed with the rear sight on the upper receiver.
View Quote

Right? That's probably the biggest flaw of the design.

Imagine how wacky it would be to zero some low quality ARs if the rear sight wasn't attached to the upper. The tolerances are apparently hard to hold, as evidenced by DSA.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a DSA Israeli FAL with 21" barrel.  Shot low from factory.  Put the rear sight on 200 yds. and filed down the front (bottomed out) front sight until I got a 200 yd. zero.  If you think you will have to file off too much, order a replacement front sight sized at -2 or -3 and try that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#7]
You all know they make different front sight post. The Israeli are number 0-6 i believe
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 1:10:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marcus5819] [#8]
OPpps I did not see the above post
You did not need to file your post down. All you need is a short front sight post like a # 2 or  a# 0
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I understand about short front sights and swapping out rear sights for taller units, but my point is, the rifle should be sorted out to function without having to resort to compensating with bottomed out short sights.
Which reminds me to measure my front sight, I think it may already be the shortest since no dots.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:58:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I understand about short front sights and swapping out rear sights for taller units, but my point is, the rifle should be sorted out to function without having to resort to compensating with bottomed out short sights.
Which reminds me to measure my front sight, I think it may already be the shortest since no dots.
View Quote

Not all sights have the dots.  Some also have different amounts of clicks per rotation.  This is just for the standard Belgian-pattern sights.

The #0 should look almost like a nub.  

IIRC about the QC issue Mark mentioned, it's something he wasn't able to completely fix.  It's an outright defect.  Also, from what I recall, they aren't having nearly as many serious QC issues recently as they had been having since they started making receivers in-house instead of having LMT make them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]
My front sight is .627" OAL and about .18" from top of base to top of post so I believe that's a 3 dot.
Now I have to decide if I want to track down a 2 dot or file mine. I may just file it, there are no dot markings anyway.
I think that will bring it into range enough without having to alter the upper receiver fit.

I'm curious how many rifles were issued with 3 dots vs 2 dots.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Arizona Response Systems has front sights of various heights.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#13]
The one that got me closest was the -3 sight available here: https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/product/fal-israel-front-sight-early/

It's .538" tall from top to bottom.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I blew it. I filed my sight and it was way softer than I expected.
I was expecting it to be a little hardened for some reason and it seems to be made lead. 6 to 8 light strokes of a file and it's now a #0.
It was a $30 lesson.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I blew it. I filed my sight and it was way softer than I expected.
I was expecting it to be a little hardened for some reason and it seems to be made lead. 6 to 8 light strokes of a file and it's now a #0.
It was a $30 lesson.
View Quote
I over-filed a $65 part last week.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I found that cut down barrels and my DSA G1 build needed taller rear sights.  

Using an flip up Indian rear or Izzy rear sight was best solution.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By nvcdl:
I found that cut down barrels and my DSA G1 build needed taller rear sights.  

Using an flip up Indian rear or Izzy rear sight was best solution.
View Quote

FN also made an aperture that is intermediate between the early tall apertures (which is what the Israelis stuck with) and the later, more common short apertures.  I've seen a couple for sale over the years.  It'd be a good piece to have in the parts box just in case.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:27:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brianvr6] [#18]
Ok got two front sights from DS Arms, I ordered by phone and asked for one #3 and a #2. They are almost the same, which is ok because the I installed the shorter one and still need to file it just a hair. But this time I'll mark it and be more careful.
The attached targets are fired iron sight from bags at 100 yards.These are the small corner targets on a five target sheet. I have a hard time seeing them at 100 yards with my 53 yo eyes.
And it was hot out so the sweat was stinging my eyes (excuses, excuses).
POI should be 1.8" high @100 (for a 200 zero) with the 147 ball so the front sight has to be a bit shorter still as it was bottomed out here.
Groups got tighter as I shot, not sure if it was me or the barrel heating up. The targets above are with a pretty hot, brand new 21" standard DSA barrel.
That's probably a lot more information than anyone wants.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 3:00:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j97531] [#19]
Are there taller REAR sights for metric FAL.?

can confirm israeli is close to .100 taller on the rear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top