Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2020 9:24:42 PM EDT
Putting an Imbel barrel on a new DS Arms receiver, can't close the bolt with my smallest pin garage, a .253" and Go gauge. Doesn't look like that small is a common shoulder size anyway, unless custom from DS Arms.

What gives? There isn't a spacer/washer that goes between the barrel and receiver, is there?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Putting an Imbel barrel on a new DS Arms receiver, can't close the bolt with my smallest pin garage, a .253" and Go gauge. Doesn't look like that small is a common shoulder size anyway, unless custom from DS Arms.

What gives? There isn't a spacer/washer that goes between the barrel and receiver, is there?
View Quote
No, not normally.  I've only seen that done to fix a timing issue.

Definitely an unusual locking shoulder size, but it happens.  Arizona Response Systems has surplus locking shoulders under .253 in stock.  I think the smallest Mark has is .249.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not on metric bbls, no.

This was pretty common from DSA for a while.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I know I’m opening probably the biggest can of worms in the FAL  world but since the locking pin is through hardened can’t just carefully file the flat face of the pin until the bolt closes on the go-gauge?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know I’m opening probably the biggest can of worms in the FAL  world but since the locking pin is through hardened can’t just carefully file the flat face of the pin until the bolt closes on the go-gauge?
View Quote
I use a mill, but yes, as long as the angle is maintained and the face is kept flat, sure.

You'll need a quality file.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use a mill, but yes, as long as the angle is maintained and the face is kept flat, sure.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As stated, you can do it this way.  But, having done it, it is a very slow process and very difficult
to keep the angle correct, flat and true.  Last couple I have done with a milling machine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As stated, you can do it this way.  But, having done it, it is a very slow process and very difficult
to keep the angle correct, flat and true.  Last couple I have done with a milling machine.
View Quote
Setting them up free hand in the mill takes quite a while also.  Less tiring though!

I usually stop a thou short and then hand finish with the fine stone from my Lansky kit...rounding the edges a bit.

I haven't had to do this in at least 3 years though...precious few FAL kits needing to be built anymore.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I brought it up because I’ve done it a few times partly free hand with a diamond file set also when using DSArms receivers.

Then after a few range sessions when the rifles were complete I’d order that size locking shoulder and replace.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy the correct locking shoulder and never look back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top