Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2022 8:53:21 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a FAL gunsmith in the area? I'm thinking of getting an Inch Pattern Receiver on my L1A1 (it currently has a metric unmarked Imbel on it which would have to be removed first).

Mark Graham at ARS has a long waiting list, plus I'd prefer to drop off and pick up to avoid the whole shipping hassle.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:54:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#1]
Really I have never heard of anything like that in the 15 years I have lived in the north dfw area.

If you find anyone, let us know. I would love a local pickup FAL builder.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, member by the name of Sledgehammer specialized in FALs and loved over in the Mesquite area.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have done this both ways.

Just get in line at ARS.

You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 1:23:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Sledgehammer moved out of the the DFW area. He's in Jacksonville, TX.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:28:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake-in-the-Grass] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jvhuse:
IIRC, member by the name of Sledgehammer specialized in FALs and loved over in the Mesquite area.
View Quote

I also recommend Sledgehammer but last I heard he moved south of DFW (to the Jacksonville TX area as stated in a above post/reply). I do not know if he has since moved to Mesquite. I do not know if he is still "gunsmithing". Nice guy and great work..
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Mark/ARS does great work has done a couple for me. S;edge hammer has also done an L1A1 for me that came out quite well...
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Ended up using Atwell Tactical in Richardson. Receiver swap and a cerakoting. The L1A1 ended up looking like it just came off the Enfield factory floor, amazing work!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#8]
ARS is the way to go, but right now he's currently building a new shop.

Pics
https://www.facebook.com/ArizonaResponseSystems/

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:45:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#9]
His gunsmithing prices look good (Atwell) and he is 20 minutes from me. Wonder what the turnaround is.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on what you want. My project took a little under a month, I had him take a Century L1A1 kit apart and replace the metric receiver with a new DSA one for a proper, full, Inch Pattern L1A1. I also had him cereakote the whole thing and several-inch mags as well. Dropped it off in early March, and picked it up on Friday, April 1st - just in time for the 40th Anniversary of the Falklands Invasion!

It looks factory new, and shoots like a dream, all in all, Andrew is a Craftsman and does magnificent work.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#11]
How much did it run, OP?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
How much did it run, OP?
View Quote

$ 550.00
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmm.  Fatalwishes left a FAL upper & a couple of mags, been piecing together parts, but as this upper is the least preferred receiver I'd rather have someone else build it.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Hmm.  Fatalwishes left a FAL upper & a couple of mags, been piecing together parts, but as this upper is the least preferred receiver I'd rather have someone else build it.  
View Quote

I assume Fatalwishes was a now-deceased member of this website (Sorry, but I just don't pay much attention to screen names)? If so, RIP.

I think the first quote for just assembly was about $175 - 250 if I remember correctly, depending on how much work was needed and if he had the right size locking shoulder in stock.

Ring him up and ask, he's a nice guy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Its been ages since I talked with him, but there was a fella named Sean Frazier out near Weatherford that did FAL work
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RadioHack:

I assume Fatalwishes was a now-deceased member of this website (Sorry, but I just don't pay much attention to screen names)? If so, RIP.

I think the first quote for just assembly was about $175 - 250 if I remember correctly, depending on how much work was needed and if he had the right size locking shoulder in stock.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RadioHack:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Hmm.  Fatalwishes left a FAL upper & a couple of mags, been piecing together parts, but as this upper is the least preferred receiver I'd rather have someone else build it.  

Yes, I married Fatalwishes' widow, FW_wife.  He died 10 years ago this December, FW_wife & I have been married almost 6 years now.  Teaching my Sinister to drive, exciting times.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top