Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2018 2:16:41 AM EDT
I've been assisting someone (I think his username here is Clandestino; he's not sure anymore, either; goes by TopShottaHiFi on Calguns and Macho Hambre on the FAL Files) with developing a FAL fixed-mag device that is mostly drop-in and wanted to get some input from you guys and just let FAL owners here know that there is something in the works (and at least one other company or person is apparently in development of some sort of fixed-mag solution).  The original design was just a less refined version of the magazine catch by itself.  After examining it, I found two ways to defeat the catch.  One was to remove the trigger guard, which can be done without opening the action or anything else qualifying as "disassembly of the action" in the law and regulations.  The other was to remove the magazine catch pivot screw, which causes the magazine to pop out a bit and be able to be removed once the mag catch spring pushes the catch out.  We developed some concepts to deal with this problem and make it so that neither action could be taken without first opening the action.  The result is that in order to remove a magazine, one has to break open the action at minimum.  A goal was to avoid doing anything permanent or unalterable to the rifle, unlike many other ideas out there, and to ensure that the system could be quickly and easily installed or removed with the most basic tools such as those used for disassembly.  My original design concept for preventing removal of the magazine catch would not have required modifying the magazine, but it seems likely to be difficult and expensive to manufacture, so this alternative was devised.  It does require sacrificing one magazine body, but the rifle itself remains unaltered.

This system is not designed to be used for reloading.  It is designed simply to fix the magazine per CA law and regulations while permitting removal of the system and also permitting the magazine to be removed in the course of cleaning, maintenance, repair, etc.  Reloading is to be accomplished through the use of chargers or single-loading, to be accomplished subsequent to the installation of a charger-guide top cover or scope mount (the latter would be necessary for paras).  It is also recommended, to help clear stoppages and to help unload with maximum safety, that either a true 10-round magazine is utilized (preferably a DSA or converted surplus 20-rounder, as original 10-rounders are rather uncommon and valuable), or a blocked magazine is utilized that is blocked in such a way that it can be disassembled or at least have the spring pressure removed sufficiently to help clear a stoppage.  In respect to this and loading, the idea is similar to how the SKS is used.

It has yet to be determined for certain whether or not this system can be adapted to Indian or Commonwealth SLRs due to the differences in those variants to the typical metric FAL.

Currently, the first small batch is being finished and will be provided to some people who have volunteered to be beta testers.  If there is enough interest and demand, especially after costs have been assessed fully and a price can be given out, the intent is to sell this, but we wanted some feedback on the design, interest in going fixed-mag (this was developed because some of us FAL owners don't like grip fins and other traits of featureless rifles, and did not want to register, but wanted to keep our rifles legal, usable, and practical for social use, which we do not feel is the case, as far as the latter goes, with featureless rifles).  We've already presented this on the FAL Files and Calguns, but I thouht it would be good to share with you ARFCOMers as well, since there are FAL owners here from CA.  What do you guys think?  Room for improvement?  Something you don't like? Unsure about something?  What kind of price point is tolerable for a three-component system? Criticisms?  Other questions and comments?

Also, this system may end up being legally viable in other States, such as NY.  I'm waiting to hear back from the NYSP pistol permit section, but it sounds like their current interpretation of NY law for fixed-mag semi-autos is favourable to this system, but ultimately it was designed specifically with CA in mind.

I'm not sure that the rules will allow for this to actually be offered for sale here on ARFCOM, whether in the EE or the forums, if we get to that point, so for that sort of thing/update you might have to check in on Calguns or the FAL Files.  But for now we're still looking for input before we try to offer anything or place orders for manufacture.

Here's a video (not sure if it can be embedded or not) showing how it functions and that the two possible methods for defeating the catch by itself are no longer viable when assembled as a complete system:

https://vimeo.com/264494580
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 2:50:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a good plan.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm good. Not participating this time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Folks in California have FAL's with all their stupid laws? Looks like you have a nice work around, strippers would not be a bad reload method. Good luck on your project.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Folks in California have FAL's with all their stupid laws? Looks like you have a nice work around, strippers would not be a bad reload method. Good luck on your project.
View Quote
Sure, we have quite a few of them.  Here's mine with its current bullet button and in Reno without it.

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:57:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifle
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]
We should have a major announcement in the very near future.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
The order's been placed for 100 units of the mag catch only and we're looking for enough commitments to maintain the order by the 13th. For more information please follow the link (left cold).

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1424640
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#8]
FALMR - FAL Automatic Locking Magazine Release for the FAL platform is now available to order. The FALMR is a device that locks a magazine into the FAL receiver while the action is closed. Once the FAL's action is opened the FALMR works just like a standard FAL magazine catch.

Stay tuned for announcements on two additional California compliance parts that are being developed for Cali based metric FALs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top