Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2021 11:28:23 PM EDT
Dad owns LGS as C3 Manufacturer/SOT holder.

Due to his lack of internet Savvy, I am doing the online leg work for him.

He picked up one of the MP 15/22 pistols as a fun range toy.

Can these be converted/"made" the same way as a post-86 Sample RR can be created?

Are the same parts and methods usable or necessary?

He is hesitant to start drilling and dremel-ing without confirmation that such a creation is even possible.

We know/understand that FA 10/22s and other such contraptions are a thing, so this is probably just the next evolution.

Hesitant to go too far down the rabbit hole of the google searching, and the archives are still down, so here I am.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:33:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything can be converted. But no, the 15/22 would not use the same parts as a regular AR conversion.

The conversion would be *similar* to a regular AR conversion, and then would require making some custom parts like those used when getting full auto out of a regular AR-15 22 conversion kit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:55:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Go over to the weaponsguild web site register and send site staff your ffl/07 and request acess to SOT board. Lottsa info there they helped with about 57 post samples at our old SOT related biz . Theres some really easy builds and info from the SOT fourm.......
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anything can be converted. But no, the 15/22 would not use the same parts as a regular AR conversion.

The conversion would be *similar* to a regular AR conversion, and then would require making some custom parts like those used when getting full auto out of a regular AR-15 22 conversion kit.
View Quote

Dang. Which specific parts are appreciably different?

I have installed a Tac-Con in my personal 15/22 and it works appreciably. Must be something to do with the interaction between the bolt carrier and the FCG?

We already tried just putting the 15/22 upper on a RR lower. Just enough different near the receiver extension that its a no-go.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go over to the weaponsguild web site register and send site staff your ffl/07 and request acess to SOT board. Lottsa info there they helped with about 57 post samples at our old SOT related biz . Theres some really easy builds and info from the SOT fourm.......
View Quote

Thank you for that informative direction. I will have to ask how much interest he really has before we go that deep.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
You would have to come up with a sear trip similar to the cmmg/ ceiner kits if you wanted to run an m16 fcg the bolt on the 15/22 doesn’t have any trip or enough travel to work as is. You could also convert to an open bolt and fixed firing pin if you had the knowledge and skills. Probably easier to just do a cmmg kit with a RR or dias. Take a look at the tippmann 22lrs as well they have been converted rather easily by other 07/02s
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:35:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dang. Which specific parts are appreciably different?

I have installed a Tac-Con in my personal 15/22 and it works appreciably. Must be something to do with the interaction between the bolt carrier and the FCG?

We already tried just putting the 15/22 upper on a RR lower. Just enough different near the receiver extension that its a no-go.
View Quote

Almost everything is different, or in a different relative location - meaning custom trip, custom trip surface, modifications to hammer, selector, new/different mounting point for sear. Existing FA 22 conversion parts won't work either, because the 15/22 bolt assembly and frame is appreciably different from the Atchisson-descended 22 conversions for the AR-15, for which there are full auto parts available.

Far, far easier to do a regular FA AR conversion (RR or DIAS) and stick an existing 22 top end or 22 conversion bolt on it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Many thanks to all who have responded.

Looks like this project will end up on the "maybe someday" list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top