Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2020 9:21:35 PM EDT
Sending an item out of state so it goes to a SOT. I have the info and am filling out the form 4.

1. I just need to need to fill out the front and sign as the transferee, nothing is needed to go on the back side (CLEO, and Reason)?  What if I already printed it with the back filled out?  They dont really care abt the back, right?

2. It prints out the 3rd form which is to send to the CLEO. This isnt needed since it’s going to a SOT, correct?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Sending an item out of state so it goes to a SOT. I have the info and am filling out the form 4.
View Quote

It doesn't have to go to a SOT to go out of state, actually. Any old FFL can receive any firearm, including NFA, from out of state.

Unfortunately, it looks like as of the September 2019 version of the Form 4, the transferee also has to sign the form, and fill out all those boxes, if the FFL is a sole proprietor:

From the instructions on the Form 4, Section 2.:
d.        Completion of Form (NOTE: if the transferee is a Federal firearms licensee except for a Type 03 licensee, items 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18,  19, 20, 21 are required to be completed)
View Quote

They can skip the personal stuff if the FFL/SOT is an entity other than a person, but then have to do the responsible person stuff.

It was never that way while I was an FFL/SOT, but that's how the Form reads now at https://www.atf.gov/file/61546/download Read Section 2. "Preparation of Application" carefully.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

1. I just need to need to fill out the front and sign as the transferee, nothing is needed to go on the back side (CLEO, and Reason)?  What if I already printed it with the back filled out?  They dont really care abt the back, right?

2. It prints out the 3rd form which is to send to the CLEO. This isnt needed since it’s going to a SOT, correct?
View Quote

If you are sending the item, you are the transferor.

12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 can be skipped.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:
If you are sending the item, you are the transferor.

12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 can be skipped.
View Quote

@RenegadeX
That directly contradicts the printed instructions on the back of the September, 2019 edition of the F4.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

@RenegadeX
That directly contradicts the printed instructions on the back of the September, 2019 edition of the F4.
View Quote

Yes that is a known error, there should be a 'nor' or 'not' in there as in previous versions.

(NOTE: if the transferee is a Federal firearms licensee except for a Type 03 licensee, items 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 are required to be completed) .

Think about it, an 01 or 07 FFL has to complete it but a C&R FFL does not?

I think we discussed that when it first appeared. I have not done an inbound F4 since that came out, perhaps another FFL has and can say if it was bounced back if not filled out. Even better would be a C&R telling us they did not have too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

Yes that is a known error, there should be a 'nor' or 'not' in there as in previous versions.

(NOTE: if the transferee is a Federal firearms licensee except for a Type 03 licensee, items 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 are required to be completed) .

Think about it, an 01 or 07 FFL has to complete it but a C&R FFL does not?

I think we discussed that when it first appeared. I have not done an inbound F4 since that came out, perhaps another FFL has and can say if it was bounced back if not filled out. Even better would be a C&R telling us they did not have too.
View Quote

Yeah, I was a SOT2 for 15 years, I'm familiar with what it used to, and *should* say, and mentioned it sounded hinky to OP - but who knows what fuckery the boys at F-Troop might try to pull? I haven't had to run an F4 since 2016, so it never came up for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top