Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2018 10:44:16 PM EDT
Has anyone ever registered an actual shell? One that could be used over and over? Say a bird bomb that was exceeding the 1/4oz limit.

I see there are a lot of nice reloadable shells on the market now and wondered if anyone ever tried registering the actual shell.

Of course this would have to be fired out of a registered launcher.

I guess the storage issue maybe the problem with doing something like this.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever registered an actual shell? One that could be used over and over? Say a bird bomb that was exceeding the 1/4oz limit.

I see there are a lot of nice reloadable shells on the market now and wondered if anyone ever tried registering the actual shell.

Of course this would have to be fired out of a registered launcher.

I guess the storage issue maybe the problem with doing something like this.
View Quote
Yes, by virtue of having very few other spots to retain a serial number post-firing. Reuse, no. BATFE frowns on that whole idea, and your example bird-bomb would be the DD itself, not the case which projected it.

The "storage issue" can be insurmountable, depending on where you live. The required distances are in the orange book, available direct from the BATFE.

Consider Grog's warning on the whole subject, as well... people have been grievously injured trying to make exploding 37/40mm rounds. This warning goes for compositions such as 7:3 flash and for binary compositions. Both have caused serious injury to the people trying to use them in launched projectiles, and binary compositions aren't friendlier than anything else you'd be likely to look at.

Unless you've got a good handle on what you're doing and are only asking about the legality/storage issues, which may be the case, you really don't want to be screwing around with this stuff right off the bat. Your example bird-bomb is one of the devices which does poorly on launch, and has shredded the (aluminum, in most cases) 40mm barrel on multiple launchers - along with the shooter's hand.

If you're dead-set on this idea, my suggestion is to read up on Grog's forum, read the orange book, see if there are any pyrotechnic clubs in your area, and put in serious study/effort to learn about pyrotechnics. It's really the only route where you can be relatively safe and still achieve your goal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, by virtue of having very few other spots to retain a serial number post-firing. Reuse, no. BATFE frowns on that whole idea, and your example bird-bomb would be the DD itself, not the case which projected it.

The "storage issue" can be insurmountable, depending on where you live. The required distances are in the orange book, available direct from the BATFE.

Consider Grog's warning on the whole subject, as well... people have been grievously injured trying to make exploding 37/40mm rounds. This warning goes for compositions such as 7:3 flash and for binary compositions. Both have caused serious injury to the people trying to use them in launched projectiles, and binary compositions aren't friendlier than anything else you'd be likely to look at.

Unless you've got a good handle on what you're doing and are only asking about the legality/storage issues, which may be the case, you really don't want to be screwing around with this stuff right off the bat. Your example bird-bomb is one of the devices which does poorly on launch, and has shredded the (aluminum, in most cases) 40mm barrel on multiple launchers - along with the shooter's hand.

If you're dead-set on this idea, my suggestion is to read up on Grog's forum, read the orange book, see if there are any pyrotechnic clubs in your area, and put in serious study/effort to learn about pyrotechnics. It's really the only route where you can be relatively safe and still achieve your goal.
View Quote
I was just asking if it can and had been done. I lack the knowledge and skill to pull it of.

Im on the new grog forum and not a whole lot going on over there yet, Seems like folks are still trickling in from the old site.

I am wondering what are most guys using for a bird bomb payload? 5gr of black powder?

And where can one buy the DVD on reloading by grog? Or is there a book format?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was just asking if it can and had been done. I lack the knowledge and skill to pull it of.

Im on the new grog forum and not a whole lot going on over there yet, Seems like folks are still trickling in from the old site.

I am wondering what are most guys using for a bird bomb payload? 5gr of black powder?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most users of 37/40mm don't use exploding projectiles. At all.

As far as the reloading information, it is (was?) a pair of CDs bought directly from his website: https://www.freewebs.com/grog/products.htm

General Information, CD sales: [email protected]
Send him an e-mail. Should be $75 for both CDs, shipped - and it's worth every single cent.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Most users of 37/40mm don't use exploding projectiles. At all.

As far as the reloading information, it is (was?) a pair of CDs bought directly from his website: https://www.freewebs.com/grog/products.htm

Send him an e-mail. Should be $75 for both CDs, shipped - and it's worth every single cent.
View Quote
Well what are guys using in the bird bombs? I have seen numerous videos on YT.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
They're legal to buy for agricultural use. Past that... the way I've seen them made (at home, legally or not, safely or not) is with 7:3 flash. No, thank you - that's how you lose a hand/eye.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I've bought a couple of the commercially made 37mm "flash bang" or "bird bomb" rounds. all of which I shot out of my all steel launcher with only one hand on the pistol grip. Still scary.

as for making them myself, I think I may have made one with black powder a couple years ago, stayed under the 1/4 ounce limit and it was interesting but not worth the time and mess making it.

Best thing I have done for a fun round is to find some fireworks that if in a shell, wrap them in masking tape if you need to increase the diameter, then your launcher is basically a fireworks tube with a trigger. That's basically the only thing 37mm launchers are any good for and why I am trying to make a 40mm barrel for mine and I shoot a 203 way more
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've bought a couple of the commercially made 37mm "flash bang" or "bird bomb" rounds. all of which I shot out of my all steel launcher with only one hand on the pistol grip. Still scary.

as for making them myself, I think I may have made one with black powder a couple years ago, stayed under the 1/4 ounce limit and it was interesting but not worth the time and mess making it.

Best thing I have done for a fun round is to find some fireworks that if in a shell, wrap them in masking tape if you need to increase the diameter, then your launcher is basically a fireworks tube with a trigger. That's basically the only thing 37mm launchers are any good for and why I am trying to make a 40mm barrel for mine and I shoot a 203 way more
View Quote
Yeah I had seen guys using commercial smoke bombs from fireworks stores and launching them. Fireworks stores are close to the house.

Im just trying to read and learn as much as I can on these before possibly taking the plunge. Want to know what all I can and can not shoot with these.

I have suppressors, a MG, SBRs, SBS and a AOW on the way. Still unsure of a 37mm DD. Seems like alot of cash for a fireworks launcher.

Im currently torn between a 37mm launcher or a small cannon. Price would be about the same. leaning towards the 37mm launcher.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
If the price is "about the same" between a shoulder-fired flare gun registered as a DD, or a rifled cannon along the lines of 20mm/30mm/whatever... if you can get powder, projectiles, cases, are okay with machining or hiring it out, and have somewhere to shoot, yes. Cannon all the way.

For goofing around at the same range you use for other small arms, and you're thinking 37mm, just go with a 40mm launcher. More off-the-shelf options for fun, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If the price is "about the same" between a shoulder-fired flare gun registered as a DD, or a rifled cannon along the lines of 20mm/30mm/whatever... if you can get powder, projectiles, cases, are okay with machining or hiring it out, and have somewhere to shoot, yes. Cannon all the way.

For goofing around at the same range you use for other small arms, and you're thinking 37mm, just go with a 40mm launcher. More off-the-shelf options for fun, in my opinion.
View Quote
This is the cannon I was referring too. Not A registered DD cannon just a front stuffer. Hern Iron works 1/2scale 6 pounder

What 40mm standalone options are out there? I was only aware of the lmt 203 receivers, and I think that whole setup would be over $2000 with the standalone kit.

Im only looking for about $600-700 worth of fun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh. Yeah, get a cannon. You don't really have much in the way of $600 40mm options, these days, and honestly if it were between a cannon or a 37mm and stamp, I'd take the cannon every time. Way more fun, way less hassle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh. Yeah, get a cannon. You don't really have much in the way of $600 40mm options, these days, and honestly if it were between a cannon or a 37mm and stamp, I'd take the cannon every time. Way more fun, way less hassle.
View Quote
Any good fourms on BP cannons?

And where would be the best place to find blue prints for a carriage? I like the large wagon wheel style but for this size cannon a ship type design is what I plan on going with.

At the local MG shoot guy had one beside me on the line and loved it. He was shooting iron balls. Not sure where he was buying them from.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Any good fourms on BP cannons?

And where would be the best place to find blue prints for a carriage? I like the large wagon wheel style but for this size cannon a ship type design is what I plan on going with.

At the local MG shoot guy had one beside me on the line and loved it. He was shooting iron balls. Not sure where he was buying them from.
View Quote
Graybeard Outdoors.

Iron? You're 100% sure they weren't zinc? If they were zinc, they were from Roto Metals.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Graybeard Outdoors.

Iron? You're 100% sure they weren't zinc? If they were zinc, they were from Roto Metals.
View Quote
No not 100% sure,  he said they were not lead and looked lightly rusted so I was guessing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#14]
They were probably the usual zinc. Cheap enough, lighter (so less pressure on the gun) than lead (which is too heavy for basically any cannon unless specifically made for it) or iron. Recoil is stout enough just with golf balls, never mind zinc balls... iron/lead would be brisk, to say the least.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Only issue with the cannon is where to store it at when not shooting. That is what has me leaning towards the launcher. I guess I can have it in the coroner of my living room.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top