Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2020 1:55:18 PM EDT
For whatever reason, I have lately been having cases getting stuck in my dies. Both with .223 and .308. Multiple cases, back to back, and im so frustrated I'm about to just quit reloading for them. I use a Hornady single stage press for my sizing, RCBS small base dies for both calibers, tumble all of my brass in corn cob media, roll it around in a towel to wipe it down, and spray a liberal amount of Hornady One Shot into my brass bucket while shaking it around. Every single time I sit down I get cases stuck in my sizing die. I love reloading, but the sizing process for bulk rifle loads has always been my least favorite part. This about to put me over the edge. What am I doing wrong?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
For whatever reason, I have lately been having cases getting stuck in my dies. Both with .223 and .308. Multiple cases, back to back, and im so frustrated I'm about to just quit reloading for them. I'm using RCBS small base dies for both, tumble all of my brass in corn cob media, roll it around in a towel to wipe it down, and spray a liberal amount of Hornady One Shot into my brass bucket while shaking it around. Every single time I sit down I get cases stuck in my sizing die. I love reloading, but the sizing process for bulk rifle loads has always been my least favorite part. This about to put me over the edge. What am I doing wrong?
View Quote
Any time I had a stuck case it was because of One Shot.

Using Dillon lube I have never had a stuck case.

You can make your own homemade case lube
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for that link! Looks like people seem really happy with that. I'll see if can find liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol around town.

One thing I didn't see in that link, does that lube need to be cleaned off before loading?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks for that link! Looks like people seem really happy with that. I'll see if can find liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol around town.

One thing I didn't see in that link, does that lube need to be cleaned off before loading?
View Quote
This is the proper link ... CLICK IT

Cleaning,, depend on your preference..  I bulk size first..  then wash off,, then assemble

Can load,, then simply use old towel, and some window spray on the cartridges, and roll in towel

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Imperial Wax
View Quote
x2
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried One Shot for my bulk reloading of 223. After getting one case stuck I asked the same question. The answer is:

1) Clean the die well and spray it with one shot.
2) Spray cases in a reloading block and make sure you spray both sides of the brass.
3) switch to another product

I am now using imperial sizing wax.

One shot will work is you spray both case and die. Don’t be stingy with it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]
That is not how to apply one shot.

I put my cases in a load block and spray from all four angles. Never had a stuck case.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Dillon Spray Lube (or home made equivalent)
Imperial Sizing Die Wax

Use no others.

Well over half the sizing-related problems on this board are traceable to people using One Shot.  Get rid of it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I put the cases back into the tumbler after resizing.

Even though it's not needed, I use One Shot on 9mm and 45 reloading.  Makes the resizing process smoother on the 650 and a little easier on the elbow, I tumble those cases after they're loaded.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I put my cases in a load block and spray from all four angles. Never had a stuck case.
View Quote
This, plus try and get some in the throats when spraying and make sure to let them stand for 5 plus minutes before running them into a die...One shot works great if its applied right...
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Couple things.

1 - Hornady 1 shot is garbage.

Even if you shake it up, viscosity in the can is never the same - Find something new.

2 - What brass are you using?

LC brass tends to snap back unless you're using a small base die.

If you want to put in a little more effort, get the small base dies and go from there.

3 - If you don't use Lemi-Shine, Dawn and all that stuff - Brass tends to come out "sticky" - It won't feel right...Don't know why that is, always happens.

I use some car wax in my media - Combined with Lyman Case lube - Badda bing, badda boom. Call it a day.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#12]
As most have said.  1 shot is the problem.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Imperial Wax
View Quote
This.  Imperial is fantastic.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imperial Wax
I started reloading with a tough cartridge (458 SOCOM). I was reading all the horror stories about stuck cases. In every circumstance this is what was recommended. I used that from day one and haven't ever had a problem.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably the case lube as mentioned.

I tried some cabelas brand lube spray and had very unfavorable results, not stuck, but much harder to use and was worried about the rims getting bent.

Went back to the RCBS lube and pad and haven't had that problem.

For non-bulk rounds, I use imperial wax
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's what I use also. I have had 1 stuck case in 10k or so
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imperial Wax
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy it online. You want 99% isopropanol, anything less won't do.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I use Redding, Forster and RCBS dies and have never needed a small base die in the last 35+ years of reloading. I did switch to Imperial Sizing Die Was close to 20 years ago and never looked back.

More people have stuck cases with Hornady One Shot than any other lube. You have to allow it to dry. I only use it for pistol brass in carbide dies just to smooth the process.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1
Use it liberally
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Agreed OneStuck is problematic.

- use more than the directions call for
- let it dry per the directions, then walk away for ten additional minutes.  If any of the evaporative carrier is still there it somehow negates the lubricity.
- Dillon or home made and Redding is all I recommend.

If you ever stick a case ther is a good chance you have brass galling onto the steel die.  Remove it or you will just stick another piece in the die.  It takes a good scrubbing to get all brass removed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#22]
My personal opinion of One Shot is that it is only suitable for pistol brass.   Lanolin/alcohol that will be washed off of rifle brass before loading is a far superior sizing lube.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Double tap
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

x2
View Quote
X3
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lay them on a cookie sheet and spray the piss out of them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#26]
One-Stuck.  Switch back to wet lube and pad, and problems go away
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#27]
RCBS Lube and Pad.  Kind of slow and messy, but never a stuck case with it.

Like others, the only time I've stuck a case (twice in fact) was when I looked for the Easy Path and tried One Shot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Hornady unique case lube. Or imperial wax. Have not heard one good thing about one shot
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For whatever reason, I have lately been having cases getting stuck in my dies. Both with .223 and .308. Multiple cases, back to back, and im so frustrated I'm about to just quit reloading for them. I'm using RCBS small base dies for both, tumble all of my brass in corn cob media, roll it around in a towel to wipe it down, and spray a liberal amount of Hornady One Shot into my brass bucket while shaking it around. Every single time I sit down I get cases stuck in my sizing die. I love reloading, but the sizing process for bulk rifle loads has always been my least favorite part. This about to put me over the edge. What am I doing wrong?

Pretty much this.  I made up a batch of the home brew stuff and never looked back.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank you all for the help. I had no idea the One Shot lube was that bad. I will admit, I am bad about not waiting for it to dry. I generally spray it and immediately start loading, so I will take some blame for that. I ordered a bottle of lanolin oil, and a bottle of 99% isopropyl.

If you search for either one on Amazon, it will recommend the other, and the bottles. Makes for a pretty easy checkout.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#31]
For the love...how does anything OTHER than Dillon case lube (and its home brew copies) exist? It's cheap, stupid simple, and fast. It's the trifecta, and yet people mess wtih brushes and pads and all kinds of crazy stuff like touching every case.

Get a 2 gallon zip lock.  Dump in 150-300 pieces of your favorite caliber, 3 sprays, shakey shakey, maybe a another spray or so if you're feeling generous that evening, shakey shake, dump out. Let sit while you do the next batch.  Go to press. Reload.

Why put up with anything else?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Imperial Wax
View Quote
+1 It's the best lube there is!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This, plus try and get some in the throats when spraying and make sure to let them stand for 5 plus minutes before running them into a die...One shot works great if its applied right...
View Quote
This is probably the most important aspect of One Shot.  It's all I've ever used.  For 223 and 300 blk I've had no issues just spraying it onto the cases in a bin and shuffling.  For larger cases doing it in a block makes a huge difference.  As long as it was properly applied, I've had no issues with it, even when loading stuff like 338 LM or 458 Socom.

The reason it needs to sit is for the solvent to evaporate completely.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:03:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Like others, the only time I've stuck a case (twice in fact) was when I looked for the Easy Path and tried One Shot.
View Quote
You are on the right track.   Toss the pad and use a freezer plastic bag.  Put the lube in the bag with your brass.  It typically takes less lube if you are willing to let the bag of brass set over night.  This gives the lube a chance to spread over the brass.

kwg
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:04:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, I only use One Shot if I have a ton of cases to do and I put all my 5.56 cases in cartridge trays from the trash that people threw away from 9mm or .40 ammo and I've never had a stuck case.

Line the up, spray them from all angles, let the cases sit for like 10 minutes and it's good to go.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I use a quart size ziploc bag and spray a bunch of RCBS case lube spray into it.  Seal the bag and shake.  I’ll wipe the necks and shoulders off to prevent hydraulic dents but I’ve never had a stuck case in ten years and many many many thousands of rounds
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Imperial wax all the things
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I personally love One Shot and never have issues with it on 5.56.  Works wonderfully for sizing 5.56 in my LnL with a Dillon carbide sizing die.  Never had a stuck case and they size very easily.

Only time I've ever had issues with it was forming 45-70 brass into 38-56 brass, but that sucks no matter what lube you use
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Lay them on a cookie sheet and spray the piss out of them.
View Quote
This! I have a dedicated old cookie sheet. I line them up side by side in rows. One pass at an angle at the necks and another pass down the body. Thousands and thousands of 223 and 300 blackout, including forming with zero issues using one shot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much my experience.

I've had great luck with RCBS Lube and Pad.

I use One Shot a little for some pistol brass only.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yep, I only use One Shot if I have a ton of cases to do and I put all my 5.56 cases in cartridge trays from the trash that people threw away from 9mm or .40 ammo and I've never had a stuck case.

Line the up, spray them from all angles, let the cases sit for like 10 minutes and it's good to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By the time done handling and sorting like that, is this really that much easier than just rolling 6 at a time across the wet-pad?  My own conclusions was that no, it's not. If I can{t just throw them all in a cardboard box and spray it all down real good and then let sit'dry like advertised, then what{s the point_
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is the proper link ... CLICK IT

Cleaning,, depend on your preference..  I bulk size first..  then wash off,, then assemble

Can load,, then simply use old towel, and some window spray on the cartridges, and roll in towel

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/997/Glass_Cleaner_JPG-1269962.JPG
View Quote
I will give that glass cleaner that a try.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I personally love One Shot and never have issues with it on 5.56.  Works wonderfully for sizing 5.56 in my LnL with a Dillon carbide sizing die.  Never had a stuck case and they size very easily.

Only time I've ever had issues with it was forming 45-70 brass into 38-56 brass, but that sucks no matter what lube you use
View Quote
It's a 50/50 shot on if you get a good can.

If you don't - You're in for a shit-show.

If you did - It's decent.

I just ran 10,000rds for a customer - I use our own Lanolin + Alcohol mixture, never an issue.

One-Shot was a shitshow.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Save what left of the One Shot and use it on your pistol brass to make sizing a bit smoother
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

x2
View Quote
^^^
This.

ETA Imperial Wax.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#46]
One shot works just fine....but big cases such as .308 require a generous amount applied, like double what would work on .223 brass.  This makes it less than economic to use.  I use the RCBS lube and pad, not really any more of a fuss than the Imperial wax, and it works very well.  I use One Shot sprayed on and applied with a Q-Tip inside the case mouth on large cases to ease the neck force and any stretching. Clean off case, copper bore brush twisted in the neck to cleanup.  My LR and match loads shoot very well and with consistent results.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, I started using this on 50BMG, now I use it on all rifle cases.  Works great.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
For whatever reason, I have lately been having cases getting stuck in my dies. Both with .223 and .308. Multiple cases, back to back, and im so frustrated I'm about to just quit reloading for them. I use a Hornady single stage press for my sizing, RCBS small base dies for both calibers, tumble all of my brass in corn cob media, roll it around in a towel to wipe it down, and spray a liberal amount of Hornady One Shot into my brass bucket while shaking it around. Every single time I sit down I get cases stuck in my sizing die. I love reloading, but the sizing process for bulk rifle loads has always been my least favorite part. This about to put me over the edge. What am I doing wrong?
View Quote
I have had pretty good results with One Shot, though it is unforgiving if you don't follow directions.  Are you letting it set and dry on the cases for 5-10 minutes before loading?  Make sure and apply lots of One Shot.  Less is not more in this case.  I like One Shot because I don't have to tumble clean again after using it.  Having to size then tumble again kind of takes some of the advantage out of a progressive press.

If you are using One Shot correctly, then try cleaning your dies.  If they are getting cruddied up, it can cause issues.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
For the love...how does anything OTHER than Dillon case lube (and its home brew copies) exist? It's cheap, stupid simple, and fast. It's the trifecta, and yet people mess wtih brushes and pads and all kinds of crazy stuff like touching every case.

Get a 2 gallon zip lock.  Dump in 150-300 pieces of your favorite caliber, 3 sprays, shakey shakey, maybe a another spray or so if you're feeling generous that evening, shakey shake, dump out. Let sit while you do the next batch.  Go to press. Reload.

Why put up with anything else?
View Quote
What he said is the truth. Heck I don't even hardly wait for a few minutes before I'm sizing brass.

Like others have stated Imperial wax is handy to have around when you just need to size a few cases or need a little more lube in the neck.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#50]
I’ve been reloading for 20 years now. I’ve never used anything BUT One-Shot. I’ve never had a stuck case. One-Shot isn’t the problem, using One-Shot improperly is the problem.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top