Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yup very small stateside, I didn’t know this either till I was trying get a hole of them for an order question a few months back. Great people, but small staffed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, I didn't know it was that small.

I'll keep trying next week.

Yup very small stateside, I didn’t know this either till I was trying get a hole of them for an order question a few months back. Great people, but small staffed.

True. Look how many cars are in the parking lot.

eta: I count 13 cars = 13 people working there when the google car drove by last month.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Here is my 1.5 year old rifle (22USA serial range):
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23705/6E0ADA1A-9FFE-46FC-BB81-4B8F5F9E51F2_jpe-2805905.JPG

And here is the newer one (29USA serial range) with the corners drilled.  Looking at how unevenly the corners were done, I am betting it was done by hand with a dremel tool:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23705/FF3B2DDB-10D3-4CC1-BD93-40563EB427EA_jpe-2805911.JPG
View Quote

Well, that’s not a perfectly even job, the drilled corners are preferred.
The reason being, the square corners, kind of like the one at the top left that has a chip missing,
Create a stress riser. The stress risers are generally wear a crack propagates from. Almost never happens at around the corner.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The reason being, the square corners, kind of like the one at the top left that has a chip missing,
Create a stress riser. The stress risers are generally wear a crack propagates from. Almost never happens at around the corner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is my 1.5 year old rifle (22USA serial range):
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23705/6E0ADA1A-9FFE-46FC-BB81-4B8F5F9E51F2_jpe-2805905.JPG

And here is the newer one (29USA serial range) with the corners drilled.  Looking at how unevenly the corners were done, I am betting it was done by hand with a dremel tool:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23705/FF3B2DDB-10D3-4CC1-BD93-40563EB427EA_jpe-2805911.JPG

Is there any preference for drilling vs filling a corner?
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

A rounded corner creates no stress riser unlike a sharp, squared one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I'm asking is it better to round the corner with a drillbit or a file?
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Drill produces more heat and more room for error but quicker.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s very hard to do any precision work in an opening for the drill bit.
A precision file is the only way to go
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#8]
It's looking like the only stocks affected are OD green, made between 2019 and 2022, right? No reports of the black stocks cracking?

Just found out about this issue, little curious if the green polymer is the common denominator of the cracked stocks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#9]
It’s been all colors.

Green seems to be the most prevalent, that being said I have seen pics of the mud, white, and at least one black one.

The trouble with the black is it’s so hard to see, there is no contrast to see the crack up against.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

My stock got there Monday and they shipped me this as a replacement the next day. I think it's weird the mold date on this is 5/20, two years before the cracked one I sent them.

I had to pay $20 to ship my stock to them but I got a hat with my new stock in return so....cool I guess.

Better take this this out and shoot it to test it out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60275/Screenshot_20230518_131309_Gallery_jpg-2820701.JPG

My stock got there Monday and they shipped me this as a replacement the next day. I think it's weird the mold date on this is 5/20, two years before the cracked one I sent them.

I had to pay $20 to ship my stock to them but I got a hat with my new stock in return so....cool I guess.

Better take this this out and shoot it to test it out.
View Quote

Thanks for the update.

Corners look good and drilled it seems like.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it just newer AUG's that have this problem?
I have a M1 that I bought in 2015 or 2016.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is it just newer AUG's that have this problem?
I have a M1 that I bought in 2015 or 2016.
View Quote

Ive only heard of problems with 2020 and later.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You will have to send in the whole gun. Each stock is hand fit to the aug. There is aom general being able to swap them around, but for the best fit and finish you will want to send it to Steyr.
View Quote

is that a new thing, my old A1 AUG can swap stocks all day long and I have never seen one "hand fitted"
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
While completely true, that's not the issue here.

This is a production QC or material failure (or someone failed to mold them correctly).
The whole "corner rounding" thing is just somebody trying to slap a band aid over the real problem.

I've got old AUGs and old stocks. They all have perfectly fitting rectangular corners. They're totally fine.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

is that a new thing, my old A1 AUG can swap stocks all day long and I have never seen one "hand fitted"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will have to send in the whole gun. Each stock is hand fit to the aug. There is aom general being able to swap them around, but for the best fit and finish you will want to send it to Steyr.

Sounds like Op/Kalahnikid just sent his stock and they sent a replacement which makes far more sense than having to send the whole firearm for a stock replacement

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds like Op/Kalahnikid just sent his stock and they sent a replacement which makes far more sense than having to send the whole firearm for a stock replacement

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You bet. Fits fine.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is a production QC or material failure (or someone failed to mold them correctly).
The whole "corner rounding" thing is just somebody trying to slap a band aid over the real problem.

I've got old AUGs and old stocks. They all have perfectly fitting rectangular corners. They're totally fine.
View Quote

Exactly. Steyr has been making AUG stocks with the squared corners for 40+ years and all of a sudden they start cracking from 2020+? Something changed, either the material or the shape of the notch
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought my AUG in February March of this year.

It's the  A3 M1 Green Standard Rifle.

Mine came from the factory with the rounded corners of the takedown block area.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Added picture of date code...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bought my AUG in February March of this year.

It's the  A3 M1 Green Standard Rifle.

Mine came from the factory with the rounded corners of the takedown block area.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249712/20230623_201926_jpg-2861791.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249712/20230623_201954_jpg-2861792.JPG
View Quote

What's the date code on your stock?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:30:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honestly, I'd want to avoid the rounded corners. If there's a material defect which will induce a failure, I want to get it out of the way ASAP. The rounding just seems to me like a way to add a little extra time to a ticking bomb.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I can't remember, were 2020 stocks cracking?

I remember during the big Texas freeze of 2021 hearing about rosin damage, any chance this was caused by that?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where would one find that?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take the trigger pack out and it should be on the inside in that area
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Take the trigger pack out and it should be on the inside in that area
View Quote

Gotcha...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#26]

My AUG that I bought February last year has a stock date code on 11/2020. I does not have the rounded edges on the take down area like yours. I was expecting that your replacement is from a current production.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My AUG that I bought February last year has a stock date code on 11/2020. I does not have the rounded edges on the take down area like yours. I was expecting that your replacement is from a current production.
View Quote

My rifle was bought and shipped straight from a distributor to me.

I do not know however, if the factory pulled rifles back from distributors for modifications?
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine is a green stock made 4/18 and has no holes drilled in it but the hole seemed to be profiled all the way around. I have less than 100 rounds through it (I know) but it appears fine for now.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a mud stock made 6/20 with radiused corners. No cracks yet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:26:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Well this is disconcerting. I have an OD green gun i've barely had a chance to shoot yet. Pulled it out and do NOT have the rounded edges. So I guess I need to do some filing?

Kinda lame. One of the reasons I spent the cash on an AUG was because they've been around ages and shouldn't still be having this kind of issue.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:27:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well this is disconcerting. I have an OD green gun i've barely had a chance to shoot yet. Pulled it out and do NOT have the rounded edges. So I guess I need to do some filing?

Kinda lame. One of the reasons I spent the cash on an AUG was because they've been around ages and shouldn't still be having this kind of issue.
View Quote

What year is the stock?
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What year is the stock?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What year is the stock?

Probably best to keep an eye on it
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Nobody's tavor ever broke in half. Just saying.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:09:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nobody's tavor ever broke in half. Just saying.

View Quote

Nobody’s tavor ever held their value on resale either…
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Well I finally got around to using a needle file on my older AUG to give it the radiused corners like the newer one has.  My hand filing looks a bit better than Steyr’s, took maybe 5 minutes once I got the takedown out of the way.  

Interestingly, my older rifle stock had a mold date about 5 months newer than my “new” rifle’s (which is about a year newer, higher serial number range).  So clearly there is no first in/first out on stocks, as we have seen all kinds of mold dates on them coming from Steyr.  

And while I agree 100% that this is a material issue, since they have been able to get away with squared corners for decades with no problems, there is still no good reason to make a squared corner in the design to begin with.  It certainly was no secret when the rifle was designed in the 70’s that square corners in metal and plastic are a bad idea if any kind of force might be applied to the item.  Why such a well designed rifle does not have rounded off corners is beyond me.  This shit is covered in basic engineering and design classes.  A bit of design prevention, and they could have used inferior polymer the entire production time frame without issue- or preferably- used the better polymer, and had a stock you could buttstroke somebody with without it cracking.  (Not sure how easy that is with a bullpup to be honest!)

Anyhow- hopefully I don’t have any future problems, now that the bandaid fix is done, but clearly these newer stocks are not as good as the old ones.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#37]
None of this would be that big a deal if you could obtain a replacement stock without having to go through sending things off to steyr and the wait involved. I'd just pick up a spare stock in case. I don't really get why they don't sell bare stocks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Keep an eye on Steyrs site, stocks go up for sale every 6 months or so.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#40]
My black AUG (SN-11USA01X) stock doesn't appear to have a date code. It also has an FN chrome lined barrel and I wouldn't expect it to crack but would like to know when it may have been made?

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Part of me wonders if they are taking the stocks they take on trade and sending them to a new customer in exchange after they round the corners?

I have wanted a green stock AUG and am ready to order one but am leery to wait a bit longer to make sure all of the old polymer is out of the system first.
View Quote

Why would they be taking in used stocks on trades?  I think they are only replacing them if they crack, so none of the returned stocks are any good.  

Guessing some poor bastard at Steyr has to do all the corner reliefs by hand or with a dremel.  

If and when we see new batches of stocks coming out, and Steyr also says they have fixed the polymer issues, then will be the time to purchase a spare stock for Just In Case….
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My black AUG (SN-11USA01X) stock doesn't appear to have a date code. It also has an FN chrome lined barrel and I wouldn't expect it to crack but would like to know when it may have been made?

https://c.l3n.co/i/QHtBWM.png

https://a.l3n.co/i/QHtsva.png

View Quote

Probably in the clear since your serial number is a lot older.  Mine are low 20 series serials codes- not sure if that relates to the year, or just batches.  Either way this is a recent issue, so if it is more than a couple years old you are likely fine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well I finally got around to using a needle file on my older AUG to give it the radiused corners like the newer one has.  My hand filing looks a bit better than Steyr’s, took maybe 5 minutes once I got the takedown out of the way.  

Interestingly, my older rifle stock had a mold date about 5 months newer than my “new” rifle’s (which is about a year newer, higher serial number range).  So clearly there is no first in/first out on stocks, as we have seen all kinds of mold dates on them coming from Steyr.  

And while I agree 100% that this is a material issue, since they have been able to get away with squared corners for decades with no problems, there is still no good reason to make a squared corner in the design to begin with.  It certainly was no secret when the rifle was designed in the 70’s that square corners in metal and plastic are a bad idea if any kind of force might be applied to the item.  Why such a well designed rifle does not have rounded off corners is beyond me.  This shit is covered in basic engineering and design classes.  A bit of design prevention, and they could have used inferior polymer the entire production time frame without issue- or preferably- used the better polymer, and had a stock you could buttstroke somebody with without it cracking.  (Not sure how easy that is with a bullpup to be honest!)

Anyhow- hopefully I don’t have any future problems, now that the bandaid fix is done, but clearly these newer stocks are not as good as the old ones.
View Quote

I think I am going to do the same. It looks easy enough to round the four corners and I already have the tools to do it. Is there any risk of this voiding warranty?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think I am going to do the same. It looks easy enough to round the four corners and I already have the tools to do it. Is there any risk of this voiding warranty?
View Quote
How would they know you did it and they didn't?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because he did a better job?
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Is the radius cut just on the outside/inside of the square, or are they radiused all the through the whole stock?
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is the radius cut just on the outside/inside of the square, or are they radiused all the through the whole stock?
View Quote

It appears from the pictures shown in this thread, that both sides of the stock should be done evenly at all four corners of the take-down cutout. A needle file, such as can be procured from your local big box do-it-yourself store, is all one needs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Just took pics of mine. I bought it in February 2022 I think.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Are the stocks on current production AUG rifles still coming from Austria or are they US made?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top