Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 4/24/2018 7:47:34 PM EDT
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen one go for sale and if so what did it go for?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  There were two complete 02 rifles in the Bob Miller estate that were sold in the '90s.  I think one had the U.S. Property mark milled out and the other was complete and correct.  Values aren't really relative to today's prices as things were quite a bit cheaper then.  I'm still kicking myself as I think the best one was priced at about $2800.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.  There were two complete 02 rifles in the Bob Miller estate that were sold in the '90s.  I think one had the U.S. Property mark milled out and the other was complete and correct.  Value aren't really relative to today's prices as things were quite a bit cheaper then.  I'm still kicking myself as I think the best one was priced at about $2800.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply. I'd guess between 30 and 40k seeing these are rare as hens teeth. $2,800 won't even get you a 1/14 twist 601 barrel made by Winchester these days.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I felt the urge to beat myself up over lost opportunities so I dug the list out.  There were actually three 02s sold in Bob's estate sale.  The best one was indeed priced at $2800 and was all original, serial number 023844.  I remember holding and inspecting that one when I visited Bob in the 1980s.

The second was number 038001.  It was a factory prototype with 16" barrel that had the U.S. Property markings milled out that is pictured on P.170 of The Black Rifle.  It was listed at $4000.

The third one was described as an 02 with an 01 type receiver made from an M16A1 forging, serial number 039774.  I'm not sure about that upper description but suspect it might have had a milled off forward assist pad like sometimes seen on 05s.  It was also offered at $2800.

The list was full of deals like these but I wasn't that flush with cash at the time.  Did I mention the 601 complete with an XM148 grenade launcher from the Cooper-McDonald collection for $4500?  I don't think we'll see that deal again any time soon.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top