Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2018 7:46:33 PM EDT
I'm looking at setting my first belt setup for training, and plan on getting the KYWI rifle and pistol pouches.  Does anyone have experience with setting them up in a low-ish ride set up? Looking online it seems the shorties ride the magazines high on the belt, so I was wondering if using the tall AR pouches and putting the belt loops at the top would help to lower the magazines down. If anyone has any experience with this, it would be great to hear from you. Pictures would also be great. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the pouch that is two pistol mags with a rifle mag behind it in a single layer configuration. I have had no issue with the rifle mag feeling too high since I use a Odin Mk3 on my pants belt. Before that I used a mid ride on a HSGI suregrip belt. Using a taller pouch does allow you to drop the mags one inch per row of PALS, but I have found it difficult to get a super solid grip where I like on the mag with the tall so I use mid and short.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the pouch that is two pistol mags with a rifle mag behind it in a single layer configuration. I have had no issue with the rifle mag feeling too high since I use a Odin Mk3 on my pants belt. Before that I used a mid ride on a HSGI suregrip belt. Using a taller pouch does allow you to drop the mags one inch per row of PALS, but I have found it difficult to get a super solid grip where I like on the mag with the tall so I use mid and short.
View Quote
I'm pointing towards the single pistol mag over a Rifle mag pouch.  Probably two of those. It seems the tall setup would lend itself to a more bullets forward setup for the rifle, it doesn't look from the pictures like there's enough room at the top for a beer can grip. If they made the midlength height in that configuration (right now all I see is tall and shortie) I would get that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I use their pouches on their low profile shooters belt with inner belt.  Can’t go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the shorty rifle pouch and it sits at a perfect height on my belt. The double pistol pouches work awesome as well
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I use their medium height pouch on my belt and found it to be a nice compromise.

ETA: pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#7]
RDR gear instructor belt with a single short rifle KYWI and a triple pistol KYWI.  Both are attached to the belt using the 1.75 KYWI belt attachments with the loop sitting at the top of the KYWI.

Link Posted: 7/24/2018 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
These pics are all great, so far I'm liking the medium AR pouch. It lowers the magazine a little lower, but still gives a lot of room to get a good grip.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
These pics are all great, so far I'm liking the medium AR pouch. It lowers the magazine a little lower, but still gives a lot of room to get a good grip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That was my reasoning as well, I had the shorty’s on a previous belt setup and it felt like the mag was top heavy and almost like it would slop around.  Have other similar pouches to the tall and it seemed like there wouldn’t be enough to grab onto, the medium was just right.

I like the Kywi pistol mag pouches better than the Taco’s but I go back and forth between a 1911 and M&P and didn’t want to have to change pouches all the time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That was my reasoning as well, I had the shorty’s on a previous belt setup and it felt like the mag was top heavy and almost like it would slop around.  Have other similar pouches to the tall and it seemed like there wouldn’t be enough to grab onto, the medium was just right.

I like the Kywi pistol mag pouches better than the Taco’s but I go back and forth between a 1911 and M&P and didn’t want to have to change pouches all the time.
View Quote
Attach the pouches with One-Wrap and they won't flop around.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have the EssTac belt clips with the mediums and they’re perfect.  It was the shorty’s on a MOLLE belt that felt floppy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Have the EssTac belt clips with the mediums and they’re perfect.  It was the shorty’s on a MOLLE belt that felt floppy.
View Quote
One-wrap eliminates the flop even with shorty pouches.

Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]
That's just regular one-wrap or anything particular needed to work? Do you find that more secure than say, WTF straps or Malice clips?

Has anyone had any issues with the triple/quad pistol carriers or the double/triple AR mags on a belt? I'm wondering for the larger one-piece holsters if there's enough flexibility to conform to the curved belt.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's just regular one-wrap or anything particular needed to work? Do you find that more secure than say, WTF straps or Malice clips?

Has anyone had any issues with the triple/quad pistol carriers or the double/triple AR mags on a belt? I'm wondering for the larger one-piece holsters if there's enough flexibility to conform to the curved belt.
View Quote
I have double rifles (side by side) on an HSGI slim and a GGG two-piece and they are both able to conform without issue.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Velcro One-Wrap. Available at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, etc.

Yes, it works better than any belt loop, clip, or strap.

The triple pouches bend in between each pouch.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 2:12:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I wanted my rifle mags to ride lower so I used the Raven Concealment moduloader subload with a tall KYWI. This setup has worked pretty well for me, My original plan was to run a 10 speed pistol pouch on the outside for extra capacity for USPSA matches but ended up building a new belt for that specifically. I'v changed up a few things on this belt but really like the moduloader setup. My goal was to try to keep everything at the top of the belt or lower, except pistol mags. I like the pistol at regular height because it is similar to how I carry my spare mag concealed. I still might add a rifle ten speed on top of the KYWI.

You can see that the rifle mag lines up with the top of the belt in this one.

With the dump pouch

Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wanted my rifle mags to ride lower so I used the Raven Concealment moduloader subload with a tall KYWI. This setup has worked pretty well for me, My original plan was to run a 10 speed pistol pouch on the outside for extra capacity for USPSA matches but ended up building a new belt for that specifically. I'v changed up a few things on this belt but really like the moduloader setup. My goal was to try to keep everything at the top of the belt or lower, except pistol mags. I like the pistol at regular height because it is similar to how I carry my spare mag concealed. I still might add a rifle ten speed on top of the KYWI.

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n416/WAwakeskate/Guns/71455EB9-A6FC-4816-971A-A315022BF5B6_zpsnays7dsc.jpg

You can see that the rifle mag lines up with the top of the belt in this one.

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n416/WAwakeskate/Guns/Screen%20Shot%202018-08-04%20at%2011.03.24%20PM_zpsr3u4zdu4.png

With the dump pouch

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n416/WAwakeskate/Guns/Screen%20Shot%202018-08-04%20at%2011.02.30%20PM_zpsjsoviwv8.png
View Quote
Yes, I'm liking that idea of dropping the tall down.  The shorties seem like they may be a little top heavy, but the midlength would be better for me.
I was also thinking of something like the HSGI leg panel. Viable?
Update: Belt is in and double pistol KYWI, just need to find time to go get a roll of one wrap to mount it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes, I'm liking that idea of dropping the tall down.  The shorties seem like they may be a little top heavy, but the midlength would be better for me.
I was also thinking of something like the HSGI leg panel. https://www.skdtac.com/v/vspfiles/photos/HSG.615-5.jpg Viable?
Update: Belt is in and double pistol KYWI, just need to find time to go get a roll of one wrap to mount it.
View Quote
Unless you're running body armor, you have no reason to run mags that low. Putting stuff on your legs becomes cumbersome.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:00:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Velcro One-Wrap. Available at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, etc.

Yes, it works better than any belt loop, clip, or strap.

The triple pouches bend in between each pouch.
View Quote
I had the same issue. Wife told me to use hot glue. One dab and it holds great, and easy to remove.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
IM me your shipping info and I will send you some onewrap
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 1:51:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Unless you're running body armor, you have no reason to run mags that low. Putting stuff on your legs becomes cumbersome.
View Quote
I would second this, the RCS moduloader is as low as I would go. They have adjustability built into them and there wasn't a mid size pouch when I did mine, you could really find a sweet spot with those mid size pouches and a moduloader. The moduloader is probably around the same price if not cheaper than that leg rig and is much more stable.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I just tried out the one wrap on my aws belt with tall rifle pouches, i previously had itw fastmags on the aws molle adapters. The one wrap is nice and secure and its nice that you can move around pouches easily, still up in the air which set up i like better. The fastmags put the mags pretty high probably at the same height as short kywis would and I had some flop with it being quite top heavy especially with 40 round magpuls.

The esstac talls drop it quite low and would great for running 40 rounders all the time, but does only leave the top of 30 rounders to grab and probably would not fit a 20 rounder, so I may try the mid height ones one day when funds allow.

But one wrap is definitely the way to go with the kywis, I wonder how they would work with g code scorpions
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 CS right there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top