Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2018 10:37:15 AM EDT
I'm torn between a eotech mtm or pvs14. Ive owned a few different pvs14s in the past but have never used thermal.  Just looking for opinions
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Apples to oranges.

PVS-14 is going to give you great image detail as well as depth perception for navigating. It also allows you to have a zero'd IR laser on your weapon and use it to aim. Picking up critters isn't as easy as with thermal though.

MTM is going to pick up animal quickly but the depth perception is terrible for navigating and thermal doesn't have nearly the detail that i2 does for ID. The MTM is also only a 320 unit, not a 640 so resolution is going to be even worse.

IMO you really should have a PVS-14 or BNVD's or DTNVG's AND a thermal monocular. NOG's from movement and shooting and thermal monocular for scanning and detecting. If you can't buy both then I'm just going to assume that dual tubes are out of the question. I'd get a PVS-14 first and then pick up a thermal monocular later. I would not buy the MTM though, it's too close to what you can get 640 units for and too much more than what you can get good 320 units for. Personally I'd choose a FLIR Breach over the MTM. Performance is better IMO, it's smaller, it's lighter, it's less expensive. With MTM's you also have to worry about whether or not they're stolen property, if it is and it needs service then you're not getting it back. For not much more than a used MTM you can get a IRD/Trijicon M250 or M300 which is a WAYYYYY better unit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 1:30:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Apples to oranges.

PVS-14 is going to give you great image detail as well as depth perception for navigating. It also allows you to have a zero'd IR laser on your weapon and use it to aim. Picking up critters isn't as easy as with thermal though.

MTM is going to pick up animal quickly but the depth perception is terrible for navigating and thermal doesn't have nearly the detail that i2 does for ID. The MTM is also only a 320 unit, not a 640 so resolution is going to be even worse.

IMO you really should have a PVS-14 or BNVD's or DTNVG's AND a thermal monocular. NOG's from movement and shooting and thermal monocular for scanning and detecting. If you can't buy both then I'm just going to assume that dual tubes are out of the question. I'd get a PVS-14 first and then pick up a thermal monocular later. I would not buy the MTM though, it's too close to what you can get 640 units for and too much more than what you can get good 320 units for. Personally I'd choose a FLIR Breach over the MTM. Performance is better IMO, it's smaller, it's lighter, it's less expensive. With MTM's you also have to worry about whether or not they're stolen property, if it is and it needs service then you're not getting it back. For not much more than a used MTM you can get a IRD/Trijicon M250 or M300 which is a WAYYYYY better unit.
View Quote
You make some good points and I wouldn't disagree at all that the Breach is an easier sell than the MTM in cost and weight, however the detection distance on the MTM is going to be better by design, adjustable focus is a significant benefit, and the MTM is built like a tank in comparison to the Breach. IMO used MTM's cost more than the Breach for valid reasons, but that's not to say the Breach doesn't fit the needs of a lot of people.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You make some good points and I wouldn't disagree at all that the Breach is an easier sell than the MTM in cost and weight, however the detection distance on the MTM is going to be better by design, adjustable focus is a significant benefit, and the MTM is built like a tank in comparison to the Breach. IMO used MTM's cost more than the Breach for valid reasons, but that's not to say the Breach doesn't fit the needs of a lot of people.
View Quote
I know someone who is selling an mtm if you’re interested. Like new condition.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
The MTM fits into today’s market at about $3000 new and $1500-$2000 used.  Rugged or not, it simply isn’t on par with anything on the market in its price range.  Anyone paying $5000 for a used MTM is getting hosed.  The MTM is potentially better but certainly by no means twice as good used as a new breach.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:28:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Like Augee says above, it all depends on what you are trying to do.

Basically if you are trying to navigate or move around at night: PVS-14.

If you are trying to hunt: MTM.

Or.......buy the setup in the EE that has both on one bridge mount. Boom! Arfcom answer is get both!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top