Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2023 7:28:55 PM EDT
I've got a howa 1500 that's a short action in 6.5cm. I wanted to change it out to a 7mm saum for fun but howa doesn't sell a short action in a magnum bolt. In fact you can't buy the bolt at all.
Has anyone opened up their howa bolts to accept magnum cases?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
No idea on opening up the bolt face, but I am sure it can be done....but have you considered going with a .284 Winchester instead?  Neither one will be particularly easy to find brass for, but its out there.  Benefit of the .284 is you still maintain the same bolt face dimensions, although the 7mm SAUM will likely give you around 100fps in velocity (not worth it to me, honestly)
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
mount in lathe.
Ensure it is centered with dial indicator.
Cut.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Riter:
mount in lathe.
Ensure it is centered with dial indicator.
Cut.
View Quote

Never messed with a Howa bolt but that’s all there is to it with a R700. Pretty quick job for anyone with a lathe.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By bryonbush:Has anyone opened up their howa bolts to accept magnum cases?
View Quote

Not a magnum, but a Mini action bolt to .473" for a 375 SOCOM.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:

Not a magnum, but a Mini action bolt to .473" for a 375 SOCOM.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

https://i.imgur.com/1AlUKjp.jpg?1

View Quote

Honestly I'm more entertained by the fact you folded your own mag. A thread on that kind of work would be priceless - making mags is very difficult for me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

A thread on that kind of work would be priceless - making mags is very difficult for me.
View Quote

You are right on the money there.  Making a magazine by hand is ridiculously difficult.  I have failed many, many times in the past.  But I actually got that one to work, and it fits perfectly.  
I would bet it would take me multiple attempts and countless hours to successfully make another one.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top