Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2020 3:56:38 PM EDT
Used a local engraver to put my info on my PTR 9KT and have been thinking about the result.  It seems smudged or almost 3D looking in places.  I'm pretty sure they had to use the laser a couple of times to get deep enough.  I'm pretty disappointed and wish I would have just used CS223 (like I have with all other SBRs).  I just didn't want to ship it...ugh. It's what I get.  I colored it black and it looks better but still a little off.

Would someone with some sense let me know if I'm being overly sensitive about it?  I mean in the end it's a weapon and I'm not worried about it getting scratched up.  I just wish it didn't start out like that.  I couldn't make the appointment so my wife took it in and picked it up.  When I first saw it I was surprised that the owner let it out the door like that.  Engraver was recommended here in the HTF.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks like shit and I would be pissed. I'd ask for a refund.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
They had to have been drunk to send that out the door.

I got this from tarheel yesterday (less than a week coast to coast and back)

Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a CZ Scorpion that came out 100x worse than that.  The plastic was actually melted when the LASER went into fill mode on the letters.  It was free after that with an offer to replace the damaged part of the receiver including the cost to re-file the SBR paperwork.  I just took it the way it was.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like crap. It moved between passes or while zapping.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it the correct depth at least?
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I can feel it when I use a pen or something down there so I'm pretty sure its 3/1000 of an inch but I dont have a way to measure it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't get me wrong, it looks like shit and I'd want a refund; but as long as the depth meets the requirement, I'd leave it rather than try to unfuck it and end up with something even worse looking.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#9]
THSF FTW!

I’d request a refund, then blacken the engraving. Likely won’t be as noticeable afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think you're being overly sensitive. I just can't believe as others have mentioned, they didn't make it right. And by right I mean free.

But yeah, does look like crap but not much you can do about it now. Color it in as you have stated and drive on.

Definitely use THSF next time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#11]
You have every right to be upset with that. I can’t believe they have it back to you with a straight face. As BW mentioned THSF can probably clean that up as they’ve done the same for my hack dremel engravings.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's horrendous. If be tempted to have a quality shop engrave a rectangle there and redo my info...either in the same spot or somewhere else. And have the first place foot the bill. And this coming from somebody that has freehanded one and it looks like a 4th grader did it.

You're ~4 hours from THSF. Next time you don't want to ship something, make an appointment take a day trip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's horrendous. If be tempted to have a quality shop engrave a rectangle there and redo my info...either in the same spot or somewhere else. And have the first place foot the bill. And this coming from somebody that has freehanded one and it looks like a 4th grader did it.

You're ~4 hours from THSF. Next time you don't want to ship something, make an appointment take a day trip.
Quoted:
You have every right to be upset with that. I can't believe they have it back to you with a straight face. As BW mentioned THSF can probably clean that up as they've done the same for my hack dremel engravings.
Good advice above, OP. In your shoes, I'd probably gather up anything else I needed to have engraved, and make that day trip to have Teri at THSF look at the abortion you posted at the top of the thread. If anybody can fix that level of fuckup, she can. You'll probably gain from being able to discuss repair options face to face. You'll also meet some great people. And watching the work get done is pretty interesting, too.

And I'd for damn sure send a bill to the first place. No way in hell would I accept that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#13]
@KavonTN
This will make it almost disappear
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I let my local shop talk me into using "his guy" to engrave my Bushmaster ACR and Benelli M4, so I wouldn't have to ship them.

Never again.

The guy apparently didn't read my instructions for the ACR, now it's got my name in billboard size right on the side of the receiver in the middle.

The Benelli "slipped" while it was being engraved, and the engraving (about 10X bigger than it needs to be, and I wanted) looks like the OP's.

He did agree not to charge me, so I got that going for me, with is nice.

It used to bother me, now I just shoot 'em and don't stress over it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That looks like shit and I would be pissed. I'd ask for a refund.Buy me a new gun.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Use testors flat black then hit it with alcohol wipe, you probably won't notice it after that, I agree with everyone to get your money back.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:27:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I would ask for a refund. Then put some paint in to fill it and drive on. It’s ugly engraving for sure, but once painted you won’t really see it. Aluminum black will make it nearly disappear.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#18]
#cerakotethatshit
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Fucking hell... Can you even fix that?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#20]
It's meh now...I colored it in with a black sharpie and it still looks like garbage but whatever.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#21]
dam i thought my eyes where screwing with me.. it had to have moved during process
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top