Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2021 4:30:45 PM EDT
I just received my shotgun back that I am Form 1ing into a SBS. I took it to a local engraver who said he knew about the size and depth regulations for the NFA Mark's. Well, the size is there, but depth wise its seems to be very shallow. I can't grasp a finger nail in the letters, but I can feel the difference when I run my fingers over it. Did I mess up?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Depth does matter.
The ATF requires .003 but I always go a little deeper(.005). The owner may want to paint his receiver some day and .003 isn't going to be deep enough.
Besides, .005 looks awesome. Even after painting.

But
As the first poster said, nobody is ever going to look at it, much less, actually measure it.

But
Peace of mind can be priceless.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#3]
.003 is about the thickness of a piece of notebook paper. You are good.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.003 is about the thickness of a piece of notebook paper. You are good.
View Quote

This.

Almost all engravers go deeper than .003, thus when someone gets a .003, it seems shallow but is not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top