Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2022 2:25:14 PM EDT
What's the average engraving cost.

The place I found charges $50 a receiver. Does that seem high or normal?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Normal for here
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
normal
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Alright cool, thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Local jewelry store charged me $15.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
$50 sounds okay.  Local guy charges $35.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
That seems normal for local gunsmiths.

Local trophy shop was cheaper.

THSF is $30 a pop, but you gotta figure in shipping if you aren't close enough to drive them.  https://tarheelstatefirearms.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=119
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Guy I use charges $50.

Doesn't bother me. I feel it is fair.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Local jewelry store charged me $15.
View Quote

$28 @ mine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#10]
If you go to a trophy shop or something else that normally doesn't do guns triple check the font, size, and depth they will use.  A guy I work with did a F1 can at a local trophy shop and they did it in giant font that clearly looks like a cheap ass trophy plate.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll call around some trophy shops and jewelry stores. Jewelry stores would probably be better at working with small fonts. They normally engrave small pieces of jewelry.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll call around some trophy shops and jewelry stores. Jewelry stores would probably be better at working with small fonts. They normally engrave small pieces of jewelry.
View Quote

Jewelry stores also use teeny tiny machines, made to hold teeny tiny workpieces.  They may not be able to physically fit your gun in their machine, or may not be able to fit it in to get the engraving where you want it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Jewelry stores also use teeny tiny machines, made to hold teeny tiny workpieces.  They may not be able to physically fit your gun in their machine, or may not be able to fit it in to get the engraving where you want it.
View Quote

True
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pays to call/ask.

My local store is set up with the equipment/FFL holder,  current on ATF requirements regarding depth/font size/etc.

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just remember the only piece of info with a font size requirement is the serial number.

So unless you’re doing an 80% lower, AK flat, DIY can, etc…the depth and location are the only applicable requirements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pays to call/ask.

My local store is set up with the equipment/FFL holder,  current on ATF requirements regarding depth/font size/etc.

Just remember the only piece of info with a font size requirement is the serial number.

So unless you’re doing an 80% lower, AK flat, DIY can, etc…the depth and location are the only applicable requirements.

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#17]
From what I read online, as long as you can run your finger across it and feel the engraving, it's deep enough.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From what I read online, as long as you can run your finger across it and feel the engraving, it's deep enough.
View Quote

">the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. "
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top