Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2021 8:54:39 PM EDT
Curious about getting a registered SBS/SBR engraved. I thought the registered owner was the only person able to be inpossesion of the item. How does it work getting it engraved if you are leaving it with someone else for engraving?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that only applies when assembled as such. Bring the disassembled lower in, thats it
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not an SBR if it doesn't have an upper on it that has a short barrel
It's just an AR lower that will be legal to accept an upper with a short barrel on it once the stamp is in hand.

You don't have to disassemble any lower to have someone engrave it. You might have to if the engraver can't clamp an assembled lower but that's a physical problem and not a legal one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're in southeast Michigan I recommend Downriver Guns. Took them 10 minutes while I waited to engrave my lower.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I called them yesterday. Their engraver doesn't work weekends. My work schedule is pretty crazy M-F, but they said I could drop it off. It's a bit away.
I found an engraver in Plymouth. He's alot closer so I'm giving him a try.
Was just thinking about the whole possession of a registered NFA item by another.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I called them yesterday. Their engraver doesn't work weekends. My work schedule is pretty crazy M-F, but they said I could drop it off. It's a bit away.
I found an engraver in Plymouth. He's alot closer so I'm giving him a try.
Was just thinking about the whole possession of a registered NFA item by another.
View Quote

I'm no legal expert but I think it is okay as long as you are leaving it with a FFL.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#7]
If you cant find anyone local, these folks in NC have ridiculous fast turn around and did excellent work for me.  I found them through recommendations here on Arfcom.

https://tarheelstatefirearms.com/

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Curious about getting a registered SBS/SBR engraved. I thought the registered owner was the only person able to be inpossesion of the item. How does it work getting it engraved if you are leaving it with someone else for engraving?
View Quote

1) Do not make it into an SBS/SBR until after it is engraved.

2) FFL can possess any firearm for gunsmithing, engraving is gunsmithing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Or schedule a specific time for the engraving, take a half day off, and wait while it’s done.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a couple of them. My advice is to file the paperwork and then send the lower off to be engraved. You should have the engraved lower back in short order, but the paperwork is going to take a while.  Do not assemble the SBR until you have approved paperwork in your hands. Some folks would suggest not even having the parts on hand (constructive possession), but I wouldn’t be overly concerned with that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a couple of them. My advice is to file the paperwork and then send the lower off to be engraved. You should have the engraved lower back in short order, but the paperwork is going to take a while.  Do not assemble the SBR until you have approved paperwork in your hands. Some folks would suggest not even having the parts on hand (constructive possession), but I wouldn’t be overly concerned with that.
View Quote

That depends on whether you are doing a paper submission or eforms. Eforms is still averaging about 4 weeks, which is relatively quick. If you are going to go with the above mentioned route, then you should make sure the engraving is correct before you send in the paperwork to the ATF. I'm lucky enough to live in an area that has a laser engraver only about 30 minutes away. The guy does amazing work and is pretty much the "go to" for NFA engraving around my area. I don't get my stuff engraved until after I get my approved form back, but I am also able to visit the engraver and approve everything before the work is done, so i'm not as worried about a bad engraving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top