Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2022 10:14:35 PM EDT
Hello, I have a PVS 14 from TNVC and I’m wondering if what I’m seeing is an emission point.

Im out in a hunt tonight and noticed that there’s two bright spots in zone 3 of the tube (one slightly larger than the other) that didn’t use to be there.

They’re fairly noticeable when walking around, and they stay in the exact same spots. I can also see them if I completely block the objective lens. The unit itself has very little run time, and was just made 03/22 so it’s almost brand new. Is that something to be concerned about and see if TNVC will warranty?

Can I use my tube for the rest of the hunt tonight without risking any damage?

Edit:
So I’ve been running it for a bit tonight and as the moon has come up and conditions are brighter, the larger more visible point is completely gone, and the smaller one is now only visible when I completely cover the objective. What gives? I thought they were permanent? TNVCs website says they aren’t a concern unless they’re visible in normal use/brighter conditions. What’re your guy’s thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely an emission point. Run it till your hunts over and then send it back under their lifetime warranty. Tube can not be repaired, just swapped so it really doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely an emission point. Run it till your hunts over and then send it back under their lifetime warranty. Tube can not be repaired, just swapped so it really doesn’t matter.
View Quote

Dang. I figured it was as soon as I saw it. Anyone have experience with actually using their warranty for something like that? It’s a thin filmed white phosphor tube
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Dang. I figured it was as soon as I saw it. Anyone have experience with actually using their warranty for something like that? It’s a thin filmed white phosphor tube
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will warranty it and likely give you a new unit
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They will warranty it and likely give you a new unit
View Quote

Just posted an update on it. Seems like they’ve gotten better? One is still there, but only when capped. And the bigger one is completely gone.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
These are bright spots, and are not a cause for concern, based on your description in the full post #1, is my understanding. They are a defect in the MCP similar to a "spot", but are not an emission point. This is my understanding, anyway. TNVC is awesome and will as you see above look at it and if it IS a problem, handle it, and if not, reassure you. Please update us, OP!
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Op stated they blocked out the objective lens completely and was still will able to see the spots. If thats accurate that is synomous with emission points.

Bright spots are not visible in the absence of light.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
emission points would get worse as the conditions get darker - ie it gets brighter and larger. during bright light, i've seen emission points just turn into a speck instead of a bright white spot. I also had a brand new tube that developed an emission point while i was using it just staring out into my yard. the tube arc'd while i was using it, and i got to see the damn EP burned into the screen - ruined a perfectly good tube.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Emission points could also happen if the scope is dropped on a hard surface while its powered off. Don't ask me how I know...

These EP don't go away.

I also heard a long time ago that there was a way to fix them via laser or something...

However, since the device/tube is under warranty, just have it replaced.

G.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Just had the same issue.   I bought mine from TNVC and they replaced the tube.    They were great to work with and got a better tube.  The only down part was waiting on a tube but that is out of their control.    Makes me very glad I bought from them and cemented my loyalty to them to take care of me.  10 out of 10 to do again with no worries.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Op stated they blocked out the objective lens completely and was still will able to see the spots. If thats accurate that is synomous with emission points.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My tube has the same thing. TNVC inspected it and its fine. Bright spots are not an issue if they go away when viewed under normal lighting conditions.

https://tnvc.com/faq/
If an emission point disappears or is only faintly visible when viewing under brighter nighttime conditions, it is not indicative of a problem. If the emission point remains bright under all lighting conditions, the system needs to be repaired.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Any updates, OP?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 3:56:19 AM EDT
[#13]
It's been over two months, any updates, OP?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top