Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2020 8:12:47 AM EDT
So I read here I can email scanned PDFs of my 5320.20s I need to submit?

Anybody have the email address handy that I send them to?

Do you always get an approval reply by email?

Is there any time difference in waiting for the approval using email vs snail?

Thanks!

Side Rant: WTH are there only 3 item lines per form, lol. 5 or 6 would’ve been much better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I always fill out a form for the period of a year. That way you can travel as long as you want, as often as you want. Snail mail is good for me. I send the forms 2-3months ahead of time. It usually only takes a couple weeks.  I’ve never tried email. No problem with the forms, just fill out 2 or 3if you’re taking multiple firearms.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Here’s a suggestion. Read the instructions on the form. They include the email address.

Fill everything out on the form except the firearm info and the dates. Print them out. Draw horizontal lines in the three rows to turn them into six rows. Write in all the firearm into. Make copies of those and save them.

Write in dates, sign forms, submit.
Next year, make copies of the forms you saved, write in dates, sign forms, submit.
Year after that, repeat.
View Quote

Yup. I do one form per state (4 states) for my SBR's and another for the Silencers. Yes, I know a 5320.20 is not needed for Silencers but I'd rather have it if I get some overzealous police officer giving me grief.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anybody have the email address handy that I send them to?
View Quote

It's literally printed on the form instructions.

Quoted:
Do you always get an approval reply by email?
View Quote

No.  You don't get any sort of response through email.

Quoted:
Is there any time difference in waiting for the approval using email vs snail?
View Quote

You don't have to wait for the USPS to deliver the 5320.20 to the ATF.  The ATF mails you a paper copy of the approved form; they don't send you an approved PDF or something like if it was an eForm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Great info all!  LOL!!

I've been filling these stupid paper forms out for years (probably expired 5320.20s), snailmailing them and never bothered to read most of the crap on the 2nd page.
Literally all of my instructions I've used I got on here, lol.

b. The registered owner of NFA firearm(s) shall complete two copies of ATF
Form 5320.20 and forward the forms to the Director, Bureau of Alcohol,
Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV
25405 (Attention: NFA Division). The form can be submitted via facsimile to
the NFA Division at (304) 616-4501 or may be scanned and emailed to
[email protected].
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been submitting them successfully for a while with the list of firearms printed on the back of the sheet of paper.  I use exactly the same format that is on the front (Manufacturer, Type of Firearm, Serviceable?, Caliber or Gauge, etc.) and on the front I print "See list on other side".  The list of firearms is saved as a Word file, so it's easy to modify it as guns come and go.

It makes life easier if you have a long list of items to get permission to travel with.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the latest revision for the form:  Revision date

I just realized my 5320 expired and I need to resubmit.

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 2:16:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I just emailed 4 of the 5320.20s to [email protected]

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

@azmp5

Question:  Do you need to send one scanned copy for each item, I think the instructions said to send two copies....IIRC, or should I send two scanned copies for each item I am requesting

Thanks,

Bronc
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@azmp5

Question:  Do you need to send one scanned copy for each item, I think the instructions said to send two copies....IIRC, or should I send two scanned copies for each item I am requesting

Thanks,

Bronc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@azmp5

Thanks,

Bronc

One scanned signed and dated copy is all that is needed. I emailed 2 this past Saturday and at 8am this morning I got an email from and ATF contractor that I forgot to sign one of my forms. She asked me to reply back with a signed copy and it would be processed. If they needed 2 copies I feel they would have told me. They are processing there in box fast.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@azmp5

Thanks,

Bronc
View Quote

each form can have 3 items on it.  I had 15 items, so i submitted 5 forms.  i didnt sent 10 (double) since it was through email.  The way I read it was if i was going to send it snail-mail then submit 2 copies per request.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#14]
If I may ask a stupid question?
I will be traveling to OH with a couple of NFA items.
It is my understanding that I only need to list the final destination of my travel on the form.
Do I need to list the states I will be traveling thru?
What if I stop & visit a friend in a state other than OH?
TYIA
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Stopping to visit a friend is not passing through. Gas/food in route is.

If you’re stopping, file a form for that state.
View Quote

I agree with this.  I always make a plan for a short, non-stop trip, short of gas/food.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#17]
The latest revision of the form allows you to digitally sign.  Has anyone had luck just drawing their signature in?

Also, "Mode of Transportation (name and address of carrier, if by common or contract carrier)"

If you are flying to your destination would you just say "Delta Airlines"?  The address of the airport?

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top