Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 2/16/2019 1:37:51 PM EDT
Posted in gd before I realized this would be a better place.

I'm going to sell my lansky kit. I got it a while back and haven't even used it for fear I'll mess up my blades. Plus I've got a few larger knives that are probably too big for the system.

I'm looking for something to get my knives SHARP, and then maybe I can learn the art of stropping or polishing to make it unreal sharp. Can I get something decent for for around $150?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
I concur. I have been using a Lansky for 25ish years,
and it's been great. But with my WS, I can sharpen
several knives in the time it takes to do one with my
Lansky.

I was apprehensive about the WS, but I practiced on
some cheap kitchen knives. Read the instructions and
get started.

John
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Im the opposite.

I couldnt get the Ken Onion Worksharp to give me good results.  Its way easier/faster to mess up a blade with an electric sharpener.

I just went all-in on the Lansky system and absolutely love it!
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a work sharp.  Love it.  My knives are always sharp now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I recommend the blade grinding attachment for the Ken Onion Work Sharp.

As was posted earlier, I too couldn’t get the results I wanted with just the K.O.

After getting the blade grinding attachment too I get much better results.

I go from heel to tip and back the heel. Making sure to stop when the tip is in the middle of the belt.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Posted in gd before I realized this would be a better place.

I'm going to sell my lansky kit. I got it a while back and haven't even used it for fear I'll mess up my blades. Plus I've got a few larger knives that are probably too big for the system.

I'm looking for something to get my knives SHARP, and then maybe I can learn the art of stropping or polishing to make it unreal sharp. Can I get something decent for for around $150?

Thanks in advance
View Quote
Stay away from typical electric sharpeners, as they tend to wear the edge down unevenly mostly near the hilt.

It seems that something like the Spyderco Sharp Maker, or any quality chock stick set-up will be a better choice for you.

If you can't get the Lansky set to work, you're probably not going to get the WorkShop, or other systems to work well.

Good chock sticks will put a nice edge on many blades that are in good shape to begin with and don't need reprofiling, unless you're a drunk with the shakes.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]
For that money I'd get a Harbor Freight 1x30 belt grinder and a few belts, if you're set on a powered system. Stones are much quieter, don't throw dust everywhere, and last longer than belts.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a three stone Smith.
Learn how to hold the proper angle.
Learn what a burr is and the importance of it and how to create and polish it off carefully while maintaining the proper angles. Listen to your blade, be sensitive to it. Stroke it softly, carefully, eagerly.

Become one with the blade, become a man.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't touched my Lansky since picking up my KO Work Sharp.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a leather stropping belt for it.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top