Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2018 2:48:45 PM EDT
I’ve read and watched the reviews.  I know it meters well and takes down easily.

One thing I saw mentioned early on was concern about cleaning given the baffle depth and steep angles.

For those who have owned and might have enough rounds through to know, has this concern panned out?

Are you able to clean with tumbling or ultrasonic, or will the design force use of the dip?

Any durability issues or problems otherwise that would change your purchase if you could do over again?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
In for answers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In for answers.
View Quote
X2

I would think wet tumbling would work fine.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Redacted. I read el Camino.  But my brain said Erector.

Wet tumble is what You seek.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dip and Aluminum don’t jive.
View Quote
The baffles are SS on the El Camino.

The depth of the baffles stood out as a concern for me as well, as tumbling is my main go to for cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got one coming hopefully before October.

I'm probably trying to defend my delicate psyche and purchase, but I really don't think it will be an issue.  Throwing my Oculus baffles into a water/purple power mix in a ultrasonic cleans them up just fine, why would the El Camino be any different?  Place them end up so all the crap falls out?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had one since it came out. I either clean it in ultrasonic (most of time), or pin tumbler if there is buildup. Buildup generally only occurs if I miss normal cleaning cycles, so I try to give it a quick clean after each outing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The baffles are SS on the El Camino.

The depth of the baffles stood out as a concern for me as well, as tumbling is my main go to for cleaning.
View Quote
Redacted. I read el Camino.  But my brain said Erector.

Wet tumble is what You seek.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I really love mine and dedicated it to my Tacsol X-Ring.

Pros:
-Quiet (all 22 cans generally are)
-Fix threaded adapter so the tube does not come off first when taking it off your firearm
-Half inch non-proprietary tool for disassembly!
-SS baffles = easy to clean
-Really well made and I only can tell the threaded end is not titanium with a magnet; no weld marks at all
-Lightweight for a non-aluminum can
-After 500+ rounds, the baffles drop right out
-Full auto and 5.7 rated so is not going to wear out anytime soon shooting .22lr
-No firsthand experience, but have read Q has great customer support
-PVD finish

Minor cons:
-Does not come with a decent case (not a deal breaker at all, but still a con)
-Purple PVD finish looks odd on everything other than my Tacsol GMG colored rifles

Cleaning is super easy.  I toss the baffles in one of these with water and purple Simple Green for 20-45 minutes, rinse them off and maybe spend 5 minutes with a Q-Tip/scraper getting anything left.  I shoot my 22 cans wet with silicone brake fluid, Ballistol or CLP which IMO makes cleaning a lot easier.  Also spray some CLP or Ballistol into them at the range and that tends to help loosen the gunk up before cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pros:
-Fix threaded adapter so the tube does not come off first when taking it off your firearm
-Really well made and I only can tell the threaded end is not titanium with a magnet; no weld marks at all
-Full auto and 5.7 rated so is not going to wear out anytime soon shooting .22lr
-PVD finish

Minor cons:
-Purple PVD finish looks odd on everything other than my Tacsol GMG colored rifles

Cleaning is super easy.  I toss the baffles in one of these with water and purple Simple Green for 20-45 minutes, rinse them off and maybe spend 5 minutes with a Q-Tip/scraper getting anything left.  I shoot my 22 cans wet with silicone brake fluid, Ballistol or CLP which IMO makes cleaning a lot easier.  Also spray some CLP or Ballistol into them at the range and that tends to help loosen the gunk up before cleaning.
View Quote
Helpful review. But Purple PVD? It looks black in all the photos.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Helpful review. But Purple PVD? It looks black in all the photos.
View Quote
It is not black.  You can tell from this video.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is not black.  You can tell from this video.
View Quote
Mine is not black either, does have the purplish tint.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks as well for the info.

Quoted:

Pros:
-PVD finish

Minor cons:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Can anyone compare it to the Sig SRD22X?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#14]
It's currently my favorite rimfire can. The weight is fantastic and you don't feel it on the end of the host. No compromise on materials as it's still heavy duty stainless construction. No rear mount to come loose and the front is tightened with a socket/wrench. It lives up to Q's reputation as a simple design but very well executed.

My Mask is probably a hair quieter (definitely FRP) but that comes at a serious (IMO) weight penalty and the non-captive rear mount can be annoying.

I'd recommend the El Camino in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:11:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Other than looking like a tube Mario would jump down I love my el Camino. The baffles actually do seal very well and come out of the tube easily. If I were to manually clean the baffles it would be a bear, but I just let them soak in clr and most of the big stuff comes right off.

Still unclear how Q got it so light, you barely notice it on a pistol. Have noticed slight frp, but nothing horrible. Sound for sound a mask is slightly quieter first shot, but at the expense of weight as another member pointed out.

I actually love the purple tinted pvd coat too. Never been impressed with cerakote.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you noticed if shooting it wet with the CLP quiets down the first round pop?
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Have you noticed if shooting it wet with the CLP quiets down the first round pop?
View Quote
I generally don't notice frp, but that is probably because I shoot outdoors on a mountain with nature sounds going on and have poor hearing.  Really can't even tell if it is louder or quieter than my Axiom.  They sound a little quieter to me when shooting wet on a pistol.

Edit: I cannot tell if the Axiom or El Camino is quieter on a rifle, but the Axiom sounds quieter to me on pistols.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have had one since it came out. I either clean it in ultrasonic (most of time), or pin tumbler if there is buildup. Buildup generally only occurs if I miss normal cleaning cycles, so I try to give it a quick clean after each outing.
View Quote
How do you like it?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#20]
It's long as shit, purple, and looks like a PVC pipe.  I don't understand the draw.

Mask HD or Spectre II for me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's long as shit, purple, and looks like a PVC pipe.  I don't understand the draw.

View Quote
Sell me yours?

Link Posted: 10/21/2018 4:31:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
You do realize the El Camino and Spectre are the same length right? I’ll give you that it looks a little different but it has full stainless guts and weighs under 5oz. I’d call it “light as shit” compared to some of the hogs on the market today.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You do realize the El Camino and Spectre are the same length right? I’ll give you that it looks a little different but it has full stainless guts and weighs under 5oz. I’d call it “light as shit” compared to some of the hogs on the market today.
View Quote
Speaking of long, Q had a long, looooong time after the release of the Spectre to find a way to get it done in a smaller package.  Nope.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Speaking of long, Q had a long, looooong time after the release of the Spectre to find a way to get it done in a smaller package.  Nope.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They’ve got a lot of stuff going on.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because being an inch shorter but 2.5+ oz heavier is so much better?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's basically the same thing. I think both were designed by the same people.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Can't find the baffles -

Link Posted: 10/24/2018 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, both designed by Kevin B. He did Sig’s while he was with them and the started Q and made a similar design. I have the SRD22X and love it. It’s a hair shorter than the El Camino and almost 1oz heavier. They both use a titanium tube and SS baffles. I haven’t used an el Camino but from what I’ve seen, baffles look similar. I would guess they perform very similarly too. Love mine, sounds like a nail gun on my M&P 15-22.

ETA. Baffles look identical.

El Camino

SRD22X
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes, both designed by Kevin B. He did Sig’s while he was with them and the started Q and made a similar design. I have the SRD22X and love it. It’s a hair shorter than the El Camino and almost 1oz heavier. They both use a titanium tube and SS baffles. I haven’t used an el Camino but from what I’ve seen, baffles look similar. I would guess they perform very similarly too. Love mine, sounds like a nail gun on my M&P 15-22.

El Camino
https://modernrifleman.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/DSC_2940.jpg

SRD22X
https://modernrifleman.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/DSC_3211.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

El Camino

SRD22X
How do they compare sound wise?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think both were designed by the same people.
View Quote
I do not think so, 22X came out after El Camino was released.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

El Camino

SRD22X
I said I don’t know, I haven’t used an El Camino.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Could just be that Sig was slower to bring it to market, they are a bigger corporate structure, meaning more people involved.  I'm very curious of the relationship between Q and Sig, since neither party seems to have an issue with near identical designs.

Speed to market is crucial.  I've had multiple products that I've worked on, knocked off by Chinese manufacturers and being sold well before ours made it to market.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Slow to market. It’s the same people.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Could just be that Sig was slower to bring it to market, they are a bigger corporate structure, meaning more people involved.  I'm very curious of the relationship between Q and Sig, since neither party seems to have an issue with near identical designs.

Speed to market is crucial.  I've had multiple products that I've worked on, knocked off by Chinese manufacturers and being sold well before ours made it to market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The relationship between Q & Sig is q was formed from 2 Sig employees, Kevin and Ethan.

Quoted:
Slow to market. It’s the same people.
Q was formed in 2016Q1. Sig was already in the market with the SRD22 (came out when Kevin and Ethan were there). It was loud and sucked. I think SS measured it at 125db. ElCamino came out in 2016Q4. Sig eventually pulled SRD22, and replaced it with the 22X in 2017Q2 (showed it at SHOT 2017).

If EL made both, Sig marketing/engineering is seriously phucked up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The relationship between Q & Sig is q was formed from 2 Sig employees, Kevin and Ethan.
View Quote
That I get.  The lack of lawsuit for one knocking off the other is what I don't get.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

El Camino

SRD22X
Sorry, reading is fundamental.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Kevin doesn't design silencers. He's just a product manager that also does marketing. He makes product/company decisions and gives the company a direction and gives input on some visual aspects.

NFA Review Channel did a video on the SIG SRD22X and it had baffles that looked pressed instead of machined. Take a look at ~4 min in: Link
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Kevin doesn't design silencers. He's just a product manager that also does marketing. He makes product/company decisions and gives the company a direction and gives input on some visual aspects.

NFA Review Channel did a video on the SIG SRD22X and it had baffles that looked pressed instead of machined. Take a look at ~4 min in: Link
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn’t know that about Kevin, thnx.

Also, the baffles in that video must be from a preproduction sample. They have double clips, not heat treated it appears and rounded corners. My baffles look just like the el Camino.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Kevin doesn't design silencers. He's just a product manager that also does marketing.
View Quote
Huh. That’s interesting. So did he design anything at AAC or how did that come to fruition?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#40]
First trip with mine today.  Given it's the new toy and I have total sample size of 2 rimfire cans, , I like it.

I might give it a slight edge in sound compared to the Oculus, but it isn't much, just a little different tone.  It is long and being so slender makes it appear longer, but the weight, wow.  It weighs the same as the Oculus in it's short version.  I'm happy, it's fun as hell having two shooters banging away on steel.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said flat out on Instagram that he designed AAC’s .338 can, is that embellishing?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
He said flat out on Instagram that he designed AAC’s .338 can, is that embellishing?
View Quote
I thought most of the Monocores were done by Silvers. The exception being the 9mm Enigma, which was done by Sam Fischer and not brought to market, but was displayed at SHOT.

From his LinkedIn:

Developed a premium line of ultra-reliable 300 AAC Blackout and 5.56mm rifles that were purchased by the most elite special forces groups in the US Military.

Other accomplishments include AAC Cyclops, 300-SD, 338-SD, TiTAN, TiTAN-QD, rebar cutter, Blackout flash suppressor, muzzle brakes, and blank firing adapter. Project lead at AAC for 300 AAC Blackout – the popular SAAMI cartridge that has won the support of more than 160 companies.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I think it's just semantics.

Right or wrong, the word design is often used interchangeably with develop.

For the few products I was in charge of at GT I was a development guy. I can't draw for shit. An engineer draws. But I did the market research, product comparisons, had final approval on which of the multiple designs we were going to go with, helped test, assisted in finding vendors, suggested design elements and coatings, set pricing, and essentially drove the development to have a sellable product. Some people might call that designing a product. Others might call it developing one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I thought most of the Monocores were done by Silvers. The exception being the 9mm Enigma, which was done by Sam Fischer and not brought to market, but was displayed at SHOT.

From his LinkedIn:

Developed a premium line of ultra-reliable 300 AAC Blackout and 5.56mm rifles that were purchased by the most elite special forces groups in the US Military.

Other accomplishments include AAC Cyclops, 300-SD, 338-SD, TiTAN, TiTAN-QD, rebar cutter, Blackout flash suppressor, muzzle brakes, and blank firing adapter. Project lead at AAC for 300 AAC Blackout – the popular SAAMI cartridge that has won the support of more than 160 companies.
View Quote
Yeah, Robert did those “Hyposone technology”. Sam did the 51T mounts, 338 ratchet mount, and I believe the brake part as well. You guys should read “welding titanium” on Snipers Hide. Pretty good read if you want to learn more about KB.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah, Robert did those “Hyposone technology”. Sam did the 51T mounts, 338 ratchet mount, and I believe the brake part as well. You guys should read “welding titanium” on Snipers Hide. Pretty good read if you want to learn more about KB.
View Quote
Seriously, didn’t he do a lot for silencers with testing and marketing? Or would you attribute the former to Silvers?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You guys should read “welding titanium” on Snipers Hide. Pretty good read if you want to learn more about KB.
View Quote
Just finished. Reminded me of this forum 10 years ago. Nothing has changed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Seriously, didn’t he do a lot for silencers with testing and marketing? Or would you attribute the former to Silvers?
View Quote
Marketing sure. He’s a marketing guy that hires the right people if they believe in what he’s pedaling. Testing would go to Matt Pallett and Robert Silvers. That was kinda how Silencer Talk got started in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just finished. Reminded me of this forum 10 years ago. Nothing has changed.
View Quote
Pretty much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top