Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2018 10:28:11 PM EDT
Why the hell does FN put 6lbs of locktite on the bottom rail screws?  Good thing the mlok replacement comes with hardware because I stripped the shit out of the torx screw and had to cut the head to use a Phillips to get it out.  I put a good 2 minutes or more of heat on it, but it didn’t help.  It doesn’t make any sense why they would put so much on.  Only PSA puts more on their barrel nuts.  Calm down with the locktite use!  Rant over and I’m excited for my PMM mlok replacement rails coming in the mail :)
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I find it a little excessive also. I used a torch to heat them up with, it still required some muscle to break them loose.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I had the same problem. Mine was locked up solid and no amount of heat or torque would budge it. I had just about resigned myself to stripping the head, then drilling it out....or taking it to a gunsmith.

What did eventually work and work quite well was holding the rifle firmly and hitting the screw with my Dewalt Impact bit driver. The ratcheting/hammering action broke it free right away.

I felt dumb for not thinking of it sooner.

If I were to do it again, I would use heat and an impact driver.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had the same problem. Mine was locked up solid and no amount of heat or torque would budge it. I had just about resigned myself to stripping the head, then drilling it out....or taking it to a gunsmith.

What did eventually work and work quite well was holding the rifle firmly and hitting the screw with my Dewalt Impact bit driver. The ratcheting/hammering action broke it free right away.

I felt dumb for not thinking of it sooner.

If I were to do it again, I would use heat and an impact driver.
View Quote
That’s actually how I started.  The hammer drill ended up getting the first one out with no problem.  It was the second that stripped almost immediately.  I’m just glad I was able to get it out.  At least I’m not the only one that had the same issue.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep hearing all these stories about people stripping these torx screws.  I've removed 3 handguards so far - 2 17s and 1 16 - I used a propane torch and none seemed excessively tight to me.  Either I'm lucky or the folks using heat aren't putting enough on to break the Loctite bond.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I keep hearing all these stories about people stripping these torx screws.  I've removed 3 handguards so far - 2 17s and 1 16 - I used a propane torch and none seemed excessively tight to me.  Either I'm lucky or the folks using heat aren't putting enough on to break the Loctite bond.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I removed the barrel and got all the plastic parts away.  Cranked my my brûlée torch and hit the bolt with some heat used a laser thermometer to gauge where the heat was at and once it was hot enough the screw came right out.  It sounds like they are not heating it up enough or concentrating to heat to where it needs to go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I will second this.  I've done both my scars no issues.  But I used a small butane pencil torch to heat the screw heads.  If your having issues your not applying heat correctly or enough.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I will second this.  I've done both my scars no issues.  But I used a small butane pencil torch to heat the screw heads.  If your having issues your not applying heat correctly or enough.
View Quote
Agreed... Bring the torch flame to a point and heat the screw.  I helped a buddy of mine on his and he was heating the whole area and not concentrating on the screw.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Used a soldering iron to focus the heat on the screw. 90 seconds of contact and the screw came out easily with no fuss.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Used a soldering iron to focus the heat on the screw. 90 seconds of contact and the screw came out easily with no fuss.
View Quote
Exactly! Fine point soldering iron for a minute or two in the center or the screw has done it the best for me as well
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:39:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
No. I heated per instructions. When that didn’t work, I heated the fuck out it. I was certainly surprised my was locked up so hard.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I probably didn’t heat it well enough.  On the plus side, I do love my new pmm mlok rails.  Seriously light weight now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top