Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 11/17/2020 12:05:29 PM EST
Howdy,

I can get a new Springfield M1A Standard for a hair over a grand through industry pricing. NM sights and trigger look good to me. I have FALs, a PTR-91, and I just like shooting .308/7.62N. The 6.5CM AR is my precision long range rifle, and I have other ARs for home defense and the like. Therefore, the long barrel would be fine, as this will be a range toy/bush rifle. Plus, I have a Turner AWS sling with no home.

1) I'm thinking about the FDE composite stock. Are USGI walnut stocks with hardware, in decent condition- available?
    1a) How are the Springfield composite stocks?

2) What spare parts should I stock up on? Extractor, springs... anything else?

3) What tools do I need for cleaning and maintenance? Combo tool and muzzle guard are a given. Do I need a gas piston wrench?

4) I'll almost certainly leave it as-is, but, if I were to put a red dot on it, which stripper clip guide and red dot sight would you recommend?

5) Adjustable gas port necessary? I have some Prvi and GGG 7.62 NATO left, but I mostly shoot my reloads, which are on the milder side.

6) Any tips and tricks about which I should be advised?

Thanks, folks!
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:44:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/17/2020 12:54:18 PM EST by tsg68]
Springfield synthetic stocks are just plastic garbage now. Too flexible to offer much support at the ferrule. Treeline m14 has different grades of USGI stocks. My friend bought one of their lightly refinished ones for $55 snd it was nice. I prefer the USGI fiberglass stocks.

https://treelinem14.com/

Buy springs, extractor, firing pin for replacements.

Tools depend on what you want to do. Gas cylinder wrench, drills and rod guide make things easier cleaning. Castle nut pliers allen key for castle nut lock screw and handguard clip pliers are nice if you start doing accuracy tuning like shimming or clearancing upper handguard etc.  bolt tool is nice but not necessary if you’ve got a gi combo tool.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:52:36 PM EST
I just remembered Treeline, so should I go with the SA walnut stock and then get the USGI?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:57:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/17/2020 12:58:23 PM EST by tsg68]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lew:
I just remembered Treeline, so should I go with the SA walnut stock and then get the USGI?
View Quote

Depends, if you plan on ditching the stock for GI and the synthetic Springfield is cheaper get that. I find that the Springfield walnut stocks are chunky compared to a GI profile. Likely because new growth walnut has looser grain and needs girth for added strength.  They’re particularly fat at the wrist.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:13:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By tsg68:

Depends, if you plan on ditching the stock for GI and the synthetic Springfield is cheaper get that. I find that the Springfield walnut stocks are chunky compared to a GI profile. Likely because new growth walnut has looser grain and needs girth for added strength.  They’re particularly fat at the wrist.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tsg68:

I'll just save some bucks and go with the SA synthetic and then ditch it for a USGI. I really don't need anymore wood-stocked rifles, especially if the SA stock is going to be chunky.

Looks like the combo tool and gas piston wrench will have me covered.

Thanks for the good info, tsg.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:40:55 PM EST
Just dont expect it to be something it's not.
Turner slings are great.
I prefer the GI wood stock but I like the GI fiberglass too..
Wood is for pretty synthetic is for paint.
Combo tool is on the cleaning kit in the stock.
Use one piece rod to clean at home,GI sectional rod for the field.
Get a couple spare extractors.I think the Garand is interchangeable buy US GI if you can find them.
I didn't care for the red dot on mine.They are natural pointers for me so I just leave it slick.
You will need castle nut pliers if you want to change out to GI flash hider to have a bayonet lug.
I have a loaded a standard and a scout also have Chinese m14.
I like em all.
Good luck.

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:01:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By DragonGuard:
It'll do the same thing my PTR and FAL's do, just a little differently.

Turner slings are great.
Synthetic will be more durable, and I already have enough wood stocks to care for.

Killer. I have a one-piece, and a whole bunch of other cleaning options.

Get a couple spare extractors.I think the Garand is interchangeable buy US GI if you can find them.
Spare parts seem to be easily available and decently-priced. Noted on the extractors.

I didn't care for the red dot on mine.They are natural pointers for me so I just leave it slick.
I would almost certainly leave it with the iron sights only, but I at least want that avenue open.

You will need castle nut pliers if you want to change out to GI flash hider to have a bayonet lug.
If I can carry a bayonet, I can probably carry another magazine. The stock flash hider will suffice. I don't see myself spending too much time accessorizing or parts swapping.

I like em all.
Good luck.

View Quote

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 5:35:19 PM EST
A cut down S&W .40 case makes a good bolt roller grease cup....
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 6:11:38 PM EST
Nice.

How are SA's op rods?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 6:23:23 PM EST
I have a SA, wood stocked NM. The stock is gorgeous after a few applications of linseed oil. Most accurate iron sighted gun I own, no need for a red dot. The trigger is possibly the best in my safe as well. The only problem I have is the ejected brass tends to nick the stock on its way out. SA says this is normal. I just put a piece of masking tape on it when I take it out. Never had any failures. Seems to light peoples faces up when you pull it out for them to see, including my own.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:48:01 AM EST
View Quote

I have the Scout/Squad with the walnut stock and while it looks beautiful, she's a little chunky! I want to get some GI wood because they are pretty slim compared to the SA. If you're gonna replace the stock right away I would get the synthetic one, but the SA walnut, like I said, looks fantastic!
I too would look at Treeline. In fact, now that I remember, I bought some handguards from them since I want to take the mount off of mine and give it a more traditional look.
Get that rifle!
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 1:30:17 PM EST
I have a standard model M1A and it is easily one of my favorite rifles. I put it in a USGI fiberglass stock and it’s very handy. Only other mods were a USGI extractor, a Sadlak NM recoil guide, and a Dave Tubbs action and hammer spring kit. The rifle is smooth and reliable.

Springfield Armory builds a solid rifle.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:22:47 AM EST
Got mine at Numrichs.

I think I paid $50.

Numrich

Older pic but I have a USGI handguard now. One pictured was a Springfield Black handguard spray painted with a krylon color. Forgot the color off the top of my head.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 12:44:48 PM EST
I think you'll like it.  Listen if all we needed or wanted was a self defense rifle, you could get a good AR in 556 and be ready for anything.  

After we get one of those, we look for fun and interesting things to shoot, and the M1A line is like that.

I bought a SOCOM about a year or so ago, and really like it.  

To your questions:

1) I'm thinking about the FDE composite stock. Are USGI walnut stocks with hardware, in decent condition- available?
   1a) How are the Springfield composite stocks?  I have a composite - seems fine for what I'm looking for.  Not sure how super accurate it would be, but wood generally swells and shrinks too.  I'd try it out and see how it works for you.

2) What spare parts should I stock up on? Extractor, springs... anything else?  I don't think these things are fragile, and there's an endless supply of M1A parts, so I'd wait and buy spare parts only if you need them.  As above, this is for fun and not the gun for when the world ends.

3) What tools do I need for cleaning and maintenance? Combo tool and muzzle guard are a given. Do I need a gas piston wrench?  I bought the combo wrench, and don't have much use for it.  The nut to get to the gas piston is a common size (want to say 3/8" or such), so if you have a wrench set, no need for a special tool.  I did have to buy the wrench to hold onto the pistol tube as a backup wrench, to break out the front nut the first time.  As usual from the factor, was dry and hard to get out.  Had to shoot it to get things warm to break it out the first time, then lubed it up with EWL to keep it from sticking.  There's a line of drill bits on handles for the gas piston and piston tube, but I haven't needed them yet.  I think if you keep it clean it won't build up enough junk to need the drill bits.

4) I'll almost certainly leave it as-is, but, if I were to put a red dot on it, which stripper clip guide and red dot sight would you recommend?

5) Adjustable gas port necessary? I have some Prvi and GGG 7.62 NATO left, but I mostly shoot my reloads, which are on the milder side.  I don't think so - they seem to be either for shooting heavy bullets like 175 or above, or really fine tuning the action for maximum accuracy.  

6) Any tips and tricks about which I should be advised?  I like the stainless mags the best, the 20 rounders.  The 25's are too long, and the 10s are hard to seat.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:21:04 PM EST
Check out the Winchester PDX1 .308 Personal Defense load or the Hornady TAP 110 grain Urban round.

Both can be used successfully for personal defense even in an urban environment. They are designed to destabilize and fragment in the target and will not overpenetrate.

An M14 can be used every bit as safely as a 5.56 weapon with proper load selection, but generates about twice as much muzzle energy and will be more effective than any handgun round.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:55:31 PM EST
Another vote for USGI composite stock.   At a minimum get a Sadlak op rod spring guide.   CMI mags are good.
I don't know if I just got lucky, but my standard M1A with minor mods is as accurate as a match grade with my 155gr AMAX reloads.
BTW OP, I have an extra USGI composite stock you can try out if you like.   I'm in Chandler.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:07:37 AM EST
I bought a SA Loaded stainless synthetic several years back.  It had a fail to extract issue.  SA replaced the extractor and spring to fix that.

I also had some accuracy issues and found a huge burr in the rear NM sight aperture.  SA replaced that too and provided me with a hooded NM rear sight as replacement.  

No issues after that.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:55:36 AM EST
The M14 uses the White Gas cut off. It adjusts itself. When the pressure builds up to operate the gas is cut off from the gas port

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:14:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/23/2020 11:07:56 AM EST by COSteve]
Done
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:03:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By DragonGuard:
Turner slings are great.
I like em all.
Good luck.

View Quote

How many rounds are extractors good for, and do they really wear out that often?

Asking because I might need to get some if so
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:02:26 PM EST
i have about 7k on a usgi extractor, still functions 100%
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:44:15 PM EST
I got some range time early last month with an M1A and a M14 reweld. Didn't really care for either, and the BM-59 put it to shame. My PTR will outshoot all of them. As I am quite fond of them I decided to build another FAL, and am also on DSA's backorder list for a 50.41 FALO.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:04:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/2/2021 4:07:06 PM EST by wildearp]
I have a nut driver bit rubber banded to a box end wrench for a gas plug tool.

I bought a greaser, but I think you can use a cut down case for it?

Stripper clips suck. Buy more mags.

Shit.  This is an old thread.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:50:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/2/2021 5:52:32 PM EST by EdgecrusherXES]
I have an older SA synthetic stock before they went to the flimsy composite stocks with the checkering design at the palm rest locations.  It is much more rigid then the new ones and I think it is fiberglass from when I ground out a inlay spot for the bi-pod stud.  If you can find one of those stocks they are much more desirable than the new ones.  My SA M1a is well over a decade old and the only modifications I have done is bi-pod stud, scope mount, and I cleaned up the trigger.  I am going to keep it that way till I have an issue instead of chasing a problem from me modifying it.

I have heard of people putting in different GI parts but I am not going to till I have a problem that needs fixing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:51:04 PM EST
Not a SA.   It’s a LRB. But still M14 goodness.  Attachment Attached File
Top Top