Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2018 1:38:04 PM EDT
I have a very early 31XX serial no. Winchester Model 43 that doesn't seem to fit the description of what I have Googled about it.

#1-- It has a slanted back bolt instead of having the early straight bolt (could the bolt have been replaced?)

#2-- It also has a 18.5" barrel instead of the 24" barrel. (special order?)
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 4:13:33 AM EDT
[#1]
First question regarding the bolt... if it is the handle sweep you are talking about, I have just seen on GB, serial 515 (1949), and on guns international, serial 1143 (1949). Both have swept back bolt handles, so not really a possibility that the factory ever shipped some with straight handles. Period literature/advertising from 1949 supports this also. Second question regarding barrel length... it is possible that it was custom ordered, but highly unlikely. Pics of the front end of the barrel would be required to make a final decision.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks so much for the reply. I will take a few photos to post.
Thanks, Dan
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one of those..........50 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks so much for the reply. I will take a few photos to post.
Thanks, Dan
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]
After examining my personal Model 43 (serial 31xxx) and my fathers (serial 14xxx), and looking at nearly 20 different ones from serial 515 (as previously described) to late production (serial 52xxx). the front sight is an aftermarket one installed after the barrel was shortened.... Factory front sight bases were approximately 1.25 inches longer that the one you have on your rifle. Sorry that you have a modified rifle, but unless there is a factory letter (and Winchester can absolutely produce one for a rifle of that vintage)... it was definitely shortened after the original manufacturing by Winchester sometime after being received by the owner at some point after the manufacture date of 1949 to early 1950...
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After examining my personal Model 43 (serial 31xxx) and my fathers (serial 14xxx), and looking at nearly 20 different ones from serial 515 (as previously described) to late production (serial 52xxx). the front sight is an aftermarket one installed after the barrel was shortened.... Factory front sight bases were approximately 1.25 inches longer that the one you have on your rifle. Sorry that you have a modified rifle, but unless there is a factory letter (and Winchester can absolutely produce one for a rifle of that vintage)... it was definitely shortened after the original manufacturing by Winchester sometime after being received by the owner at some point after the manufacture date of 1949 to early 1950...
View Quote
Thank you for your experienced and honest opinion.

Not what I had expected, but I'm fine with it.    Just knowing that the barrel had been shortened many, many years ago holds some historical value to me personally.

I've had this sweet handling piece for 33 years.

It would never be a valuable collector piece as it has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts.   The stock was refinished by the previous owner ( a close friend at the time) about 40 years ago with Tru Oil, and the sling swivels were replaced (or maybe added) at that time.

I think it's time to mount a vintage Weaver scope on it, as my eyes aren't seeing iron sights well anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top