Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2018 4:12:20 PM EDT
Considering purchasing one of these. I would need a L/XL. Will a soft armor panel work with this rig? Alternatives to the eagle Rrv?
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The RRV is designed to hold one plate either over a soft vest or just a stand alone plate. It's a design tolhat is kind of long in the tooth now, there are better options for the same role. One of them is the velocity adapter for adding a plate to your chest rig.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The RRV is designed to hold one plate either over a soft vest or just a stand alone plate. It's a design tolhat is kind of long in the tooth now, there are better options for the same role. One of them is the velocity adapter for adding a plate to your chest rig.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. So can you use a Soft panel In place of a hard plate on the RrV? I have a beezcombat chest rig now, wonder if he makes an adapter to add a soft panel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Would one of these panels work in the rrv? Either the 10x12 or 11x14

https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/spartan-armor-systems-flex-fused-core-iiia-soft-body-armor/
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a RRV with the back panel.  I used 10x12 shooter cut plates and had to use electric tape to hold the plate on the front panel.  It wouldn't fit under the elastic very well but a little tape and it stayed put.  The back panel is just a big opening that will fit what you listed with no problem.  The front of the RRV is what will give you issues.  Why did you decide on an RRV?  If you want any pictures of the RRV I'll be more than happy to get some for you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Would one of these panels work in the rrv? Either the 10x12 or 11x14

https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/spartan-armor-systems-flex-fused-core-iiia-soft-body-armor/
View Quote
The 10x12 would, however, that is the thickest and heaviest 10x12 soft panel I have seen other tham the AR500 one. It is also not NIJ listed and there are no shit NIJ thinner lighter panels around for less money. Also why do you want soft armor in the thing that goes over your soft armor? The RRV is an up armoring system.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help fellas. I’m not 100% set on the Rrv. I do have a beez chest rig now. Would I be better off using a low profile carrier with front and back soft armor panels, under the chest rig I already have? I noticed beez has a nice Low profile carrier..

I’m not interested in hard armor at this time. Where is the best place for 10x12 or 11x14 soft armor? I’m 6’3-4” and 260lbs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help fellas. I’m not 100% set on the Rrv. I do have a beez chest rig now. Would I be better off using a low profile carrier with front and back soft armor panels, under the chest rig I already have? I noticed beez has a nice Low profile carrier..

I’m not interested in hard armor at this time. Where is the best place for 10x12 or 11x14 soft armor? I’m 6’3-4” and 260lbs.
View Quote
What's the purpose for getting soft armor?  If I were you I would get a concealable soft armor vest or a low profile like you mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What's the purpose for getting soft armor?  If I were you I would get a concealable soft armor vest or a low profile like you mentioned.
View Quote
I’m not Le or some high level operator. I also don’t really want to spend huge money on ceramics right now and I don’t want steel. Just figured soft armor is better than no armor. Maybe with the right carrier I could upgrade to ceramics in the future?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’m not Le or some high level operator. I also don’t really want to spend huge money on ceramics right now and I don’t want steel. Just figured soft armor is better than no armor. Maybe with the right carrier I could upgrade to ceramics in the future?
View Quote
If that's your plan then I would stay away from the RRV.  I love mine but even if you get ceramic plates down the road there are better carriers for that role.  Do you want pals webbing?  Or looking for something slick?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Any soft armor worth having is gonna be expensive. A good safariland or point blank vest is gonna run a few hundred. Make sure it's a reputable brand. I use a safariland IIIA vest and my level II is made by a UK maker Coonen. I also have a spectra vest by point blank but it's old and PE has issues with contact shots. What I run when I want soft and hard armor is my LPAC. I have a level II insert in it and I use SA plates on top of that. It fits concealment cut soft armor and you can put plates in it. It also has attachments for swift clip chest rigs and placards. I use a BFG rackminus as my chest rig.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If that's your plan then I would stay away from the RRV.  I love mine but even if you get ceramic plates down the road there are better carriers for that role.  Do you want pals webbing?  Or looking for something slick?
View Quote
I’m thinking slick as it will be under a chest rig. Where is the best place to buy soft armor panels?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’m thinking slick as it will be under a chest rig. Where is the best place to buy soft armor panels?
View Quote
Look in this thread about halfway down at 03RNs rig. Maybe that's what your looking for.

Here
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Look in this thread about halfway down at 03RNs rig. Maybe that's what your looking for.

Here
View Quote
That's really not enough coverage if you're getting soft armor. Not only is there no side coverage, 10x12 is what we size plates to prevent them from restricting mobility, with a good thin flexible soft armor you Don't have that issue.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Here
View Quote
Yea that would work I think. Wonder what brand that is.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Any soft armor worth having is gonna be expensive. A good safariland or point blank vest is gonna run a few hundred. Make sure it's a reputable brand. I use a safariland IIIA vest and my level II is made by a UK maker Coonen. I also have a spectra vest by point blank but it's old and PE has issues with contact shots. What I run when I want soft and hard armor is my LPAC. I have a level II insert in it and I use SA plates on top of that. It fits concealment cut soft armor and you can put plates in it. It also has attachments for swift clip chest rigs and placards. I use a BFG rackminus as my chest rig.
View Quote
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Still having trouble finding nij compliant soft armor panels that will work in a plate carrier. If any of you guys know where to source those from
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's really not enough coverage if you're getting soft armor. Not only is there no side coverage, 10x12 is what we size plates to prevent them from restricting mobility, with a good thin flexible soft armor you Don't have that issue.
View Quote
I agree but he did mention maybe getting hard armor later on.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also think 11x14 would work better for me as I’m a pretty big guy.  So yea a slick carrier for 11x14 plates(would use soft armor first) then one day buy ceramic.  Just not sure who has nij soft armor panels.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yea that would work I think. Wonder what brand that is.
View Quote
Beez Combat slick carrier.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Is this good stuff  https://bulletproofzone.com/collections/level-iiia-plates/products/protect-the-force-gs3a06-level-iiia-soft-armor-plate-backer
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is this good stuff  https://bulletproofzone.com/collections/level-iiia-plates/products/protect-the-force-gs3a06-level-iiia-soft-armor-plate-backer
View Quote
You can get ceramics for that price.  Have you checked out bulletproofme.com or highcomarmor.com?  They both sell good stuff.  I'm not familiar with the place you listed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You can get ceramics for that price.  Have you checked out bulletproofme.com or highcomarmor.com?  They both sell good stuff.  I'm not familiar with the place you listed.
View Quote
Thanks for the site recommendations, bulletproofme may have the iiia backers for $240 for the set in stock. . That link I put up was the price for two iiia panels. Looks like the cheapest ceramics are $300 each in 11x14.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top