Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2018 3:59:14 PM EDT
I can't find many photos of a bare State Arms .50 action.  Does anyone have a photo handy of the mounting point of the receiver to the stock?  Does the wood stock use the same interface as the tactical?

Another question for those of you really into the .50 scene:  Are used bare actions common in the market in your circles?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not seen any used actions.

I did use my State Arms Shorty to build into a new rifle using a 35" Feddersen Chrome-Moly barrel reamed with a 0.554" necked reamer and installed an AR-50 muzzle brake on end.

Then that assembly was bedded into a Tom Manners carbon fiber stock using Devcon 10110 around, under, and 6" forward of action (to better support barrel).

This rifle was sold to a good friend who used it to outshoot me, although I placed higher overall than he. (He crashed on 2nd day of shooting.)

Loaded with Lehigh 510-130 800 grain brass solids, 248 grains of RL-50, seated to 5.850" COAL, CCI#35 primers, and fire formed TZZ-95 brass cases, this combination was used to shoot a 2.438" 5-shot center-to-center group at 1000 yards during the 1st Relay of the 2018 FCSA World Championship Match held at the Raton NRA Whittington Center after July 4th. His first 5-shot group measured 6.625" = his first SCREAMER.

Call Larry Lyle at East Ridge Gun Company for an action - he took over State Arms after Klaus was killed in highway accident.

The short action allows for a loooong barrel to be used and keep overall length short. The action was made to allow a 45" Ma-Deuce barrel to be screwed on as an option.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the insight.  I see it's best to just send him the barrel and have him fit it to a new action.

2.5" 5 shot group at 1000 yards? That has to be close to some kind of world record.  This rifle will be left at a casual rock busting level of precision.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm Oldmans friend that owns the SA based rifle. He made the gun for me, and we shoot matches together. The brass was actually TZZ-90 that had been reloaded 2 times before the WC.  I got lucky to shoot the 2.438" group. It missed the World Record (Heavy Class) by .483".  It is by-far the best group I've ever shot my 50.

As OM stated, I totally bombed the second day with a 56" group. I learned the hard way, to listen to your inner voice, when it tells you to clean your barrel between relays. It seems that my barrel gets extremely heavy carbon fouling and I need to at least clean the powder fouling. I cleaned between relays (after the 56" group) and it came back to 13" groups, with quite strange wind conditions.

I'm very happy with this setup. I will say that if you go with the State Arms Action, you might also want to consider getting Larry to make you a 30 MOA Rail (if you plan to shoot 1000 yds or longer) at the same time. I would also go with the Armalite "Tank Brake" (same as used on the AR-50), because it is much more efficient than the SA brake. The SA brake hammered me quite a bit, and after changing to the Armalite brake, it greatly reduces the felt recoil.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions.  The knowledge of skilled shooters bears a lot of weight.

I have received the barrel.  It appears to be unused, and coated in cosmoline.  It's only a surplus mg barrel, so I assume the accuracy will be only suitable for recreational shooting.  The place I have to shoot on my property is about 950 yards max.  According to the site, the action comes with "Complete bolt, trigger, trigger guard, and scope base", so maybe when buying, I can opt for an angled base.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top