Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2021 9:49:51 AM EDT
I’ve been following some of the threads pretty closely where people are posting specs and have been surprised by some of the differences in EBI from left to right etc. What is an acceptable difference/range between tubes when paired for a set of binos?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:18:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 0.57/1.73 BNVD. I've never noticed a difference. Also, EBI drops in colder weather so it depends on that too. Nocturnality Gear on Instagram has some good posts on this and other similar stuff.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I’d also be curious as to how this works. Dose one tube take precedence over another or is it more of an average of the 2 tubes?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d also be curious as to how this works. Dose one tube take precedence over another or is it more of an average of the 2 tubes?
View Quote

I’m glad you chimed in, your unit was the one that caught my eye recently. I also purchased a bnvd-sg with xlsh tubes. I’m nearing the end of my first 90 days of waiting and am anxious to see what my specs in the tube lottery end up as.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I’m glad you chimed in, your unit was the one that caught my eye recently. I also purchased a bnvd-sg with xlsh tubes. I’m nearing the end of my first 90 days of waiting and am anxious to see what my specs in the tube lottery end up as.
View Quote

I had a feeling it might have been
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen a few other posts that had a deviation of 1.0 or so between tubes, but your BNVD was the highest difference I've seen recently in posted specs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it also depends on the individual, if you have a eye dominance (most of us) then alot of match specs is moot.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I definitely agree with this. Dominant eye is going to take precedence. I could be wrong, but it sure feels like that with me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The dominant eye taking precedence would make a lot of sense. If that’s the case then the higher ebi is in my dominant eye. You would think they would try and put the better specs on the right tube seeing the majority are right eye dominant.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The dominant eye taking precedence would make a lot of sense. If that’s the case then the higher ebi is in my dominant eye. You would think they would try and put the better specs on the right tube seeing the majority are right eye dominant.
View Quote

Is it noticeable in use? Genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I always ask for the better tube to be put on the right side of my binos.  Ebi has never been very noticeable to me.  Snr on the other hand......
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is it noticeable in use? Genuinely curious.
View Quote

I would say that i can notice a difference but not to the point that it really stands out.

The EBI difference we’re talking about is left  .83 Right 2.0
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I just received two sets of DTNVSs and one has 0.1/0.1 and the other has 1.0/1.6. The set with the higher EBI is considerably better quality. It is brighter and more clear. The one with lower EBI also has a weird cloudiness to it. All of the specs are better on the higher EBI set except the EBI.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#13]
EBI is just one among many specs to consider. On top of this, actual screen cosmetics will also come into play. Which sounds like to be your case. If your tubes have light "phosphor wash", that maybe why they appear cloudy.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#14]
My left tube is a cunt hair 'better' than my right tube

Ebi is literally the only difference between them. If memory serves left one is like .8 and the right 1.3 or something

I cannot see a difference what so ever in all the conditions I have used them
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Coincidentally I have been getting this question a lot lately and seeing similar discussions (including in this thread) so I went ahead and did some science (sort of). Enjoy the results here:

How much does mismatched EBI matter?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Coincidentally I have been getting this question a lot lately and seeing similar discussions (including in this thread) so I went ahead and did some science (sort of). Enjoy the results here:

View Quote

I was wondering if you crept around these forums at all.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Love your posts on the insta
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is fantastic work and it definitely makes me feel better about my purchase as the rest of my specs are pretty damn good for a Elbit XLS Tubes. I’m  sure what I think I’m seeing is a placebo effect, that and the fact that I don’t have a ton of time under night vision like a lot of guys in here

Only 1 pin hole blem in zone 2 on the right tube Left tube is blem free.

Specs L/R

Photocathode  2434/2479

Halo .94/.98

EBI  .84/2.05 (ouch)

SNR 33.7/32.5

Lum Gain 67442/68380

Res 64/64

FOM 2157/2080

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'll trade you out for the set I got :)
View Quote

Nah I’m good, I’m super happy with the purchase from you and have no regrets whatsoever. Definitely one of the coolest things I’ve ever bought and I’m so addicted to using them my wife starting to think I’m nuts.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:26:52 AM EDT
[#22]
A good number of people have a strongly dominant eye.
These are the folks that can shoot a pistol with both eyes open and only see one set of sights.

Some folks have such strong dominance that you can hand them a dual tube system with different phosphor colors and they don't even notice.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Saw that post  on Instagram and thought to myself "he must be on ARFCOM"
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Saw that post  on Instagram and thought to myself "he must be on ARFCOM"
View Quote

Yup I frequent the forums. Helps keep tabs on what people are asking since that is the main theme of the page, trying to empower the masses!
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good post, I would have thought that you would be able to clearly see the difference between a 1.7 and .7 in very low light.  Can you get the ambient light dark enough where the lower EBI might show an advantage (although it may not be a practical advantage), I always thought the higher EBI would lose the object completely at a certain point and the lower would still be visible.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Western, your comparisons are by far the most well done on the internet.  I send everyone to your IG page. You should post some of these on the night vision subreddit.  Lots of new buyers hang there.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Good post, I would have thought that you would be able to clearly see the difference between a 1.7 and .7 in very low light.  Can you get the ambient light dark enough where the lower EBI might show an advantage (although it may not be a practical advantage), I always thought the higher EBI would lose the object completely at a certain point and the lower would still be visible.
View Quote

Practically speaking it doesn't get any darker than the first set of shots in that post. That was as close to blackout conditions you could still render any type of useable image through unfilmed tubes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Love your posts on the insta
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Practically speaking it doesn't get any darker than the first set of shots in that post. That was as close to blackout conditions you could still render any type of useable image through unfilmed tubes.
View Quote

Thanks, its hard to tell how dark the conditions are with NV vids.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Same
View Quote

Thanks! Glad to see people in the community consuming the information.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks! Glad to see people in the community consuming the information.
View Quote

Would be nice if you could also post the photos on here and the videos on youtube, hard to see details on IG given the limited resolution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top