Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2022 9:23:12 PM EDT
I really dont know who else to ask but a gal I know asked me some questions and im hoping i can ask you all here so i can relay that info. She has a stamp approved from many years ago that be bought everything for and it was to be built as a 9" can in .308. Well she decided she didnt want a 9" 308 can and decided she wants it in 7" rated for .22LR. I KNOW she can make the can shorter but not longer and you do not have to submit changes. I know you can change the caliber but i think you have to submit a form stating that it was never built in 308 and built for .22.

How does she go about submitting a form to the BATFE for the changes as she has already built it in .22. She also asked does it need to be marked as caliber .22LR or caliber .308.

I really just dont have answers for her since i bought suppressors vs building mine. Hoping to help her out. She said she is also nervous with them cancelling her form 1 thats been approved with all the recent form 1's being denied. Her form 1 was e-filed, can the document be done online through the same portal or does it have to be mailed in?
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a simple thing.. basically write a letter detailing the changes.  If she goes onto the eforms site and does the "ask the experts" thing they will send whatever the current directions are.  I did it several years ago by mail, but I believe now you can just email the letter to a specific email address.

Honestly, I think its just asking for trouble given the current form 1 silencer situation.  "Before we process and approve your changes, please answer a few questions...."
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Dear ATF,
I'd like to amend the (length/caliber), of an unbuilt silencer, on an approved Form 1.

Control No. (from your approved form)
Date of Approval (from your approved form)
Length to be amended to or Caliber changed or both

Thank you,
Mr. Jon Hancock
-sign here in ink- <---VERY IMPORTANT

You can scan the signed letter and email to (does not need to be sent certified mail):
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

However, the age of the stamp might be of concern. Beyond a certain timeframe, they no longer allow you to alter pre-built conditions. Worst case is their return letter will say denied.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dear ATF,
I'd like to amend the (length/caliber), of an unbuilt silencer, on an approved Form 1.

Control No. (from your approved form)
Date of Approval (from your approved form)
Length to be amended to or Caliber changed or both

Thank you,
Mr. Jon Hancock
-sign here in ink- <---VERY IMPORTANT

You can scan the signed letter and email to (does not need to be sent certified mail):
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

However, the age of the stamp might be of concern. Beyond a certain timeframe, they no longer allow you to alter pre-built conditions. Worst case is their return letter will say denied.
View Quote

I called her and asked. She said it was submitted summer 2016 and approved spring 2017
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I ended up just calling to NFA branch this morning and asking them myself. They are now saying that you cannot amend suppressors once they’re approved.

If you want to build in another caliber, you have to request the ATF to cancel the original stamp and then file for a new form 1. I told the lady on the phone that is not accurate as you could always amend it before it is built and she said it is accurate now.

No documentation to support this. They are not going to let people make changes anymore. I told her that’s non-sense because you all are denying all new form 1 requests. She did not comment to that.

I told her to have a nice day and hung up.

I called my friend and told her that she should either make it as is per the form or just abandon the thing.

I almost wish I didn’t call as now I wouldn’t be surprised they marked my call for later review when it has nothing to do with me. I do not own any dogs.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:They are now saying that you cannot amend suppressors once they’re approved.
View Quote

Literally written right on the form 1
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Literally written right on the form 1
View Quote

Not the one she has. I’ve seen it and read all 4 pages. It doesn’t say anything about amendments or how to make changes anywhere or if it’s permitted. My form 1 sbr is exactly the same.

It only talks about approval, withdrawl, cancelling and disapprovals.

Maybe it is on newer form 1’s???
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:Not the one she has. I’ve seen it and read all 4 pages. It doesn’t say anything about amendments or how to make changes anywhere or if it’s permitted. My form 1 sbr is exactly the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:Not the one she has. I’ve seen it and read all 4 pages. It doesn’t say anything about amendments or how to make changes anywhere or if it’s permitted. My form 1 sbr is exactly the same.

It is and has been on every form 1 I've yet to see.

Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Division, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV
25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearm in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant

If there's a newer 5320.1, the ATF doesn't have it yet linked on their page and there's nothing listed in the Federal Register.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's a simple thing.. basically write a letter detailing the changes.  If she goes onto the eforms site and does the "ask the experts" thing they will send whatever the current directions are.  I did it several years ago by mail, but I believe now you can just email the letter to a specific email address.

Honestly, I think its just asking for trouble given the current form 1 silencer situation.  "Before we process and approve your changes, please answer a few questions...."
View Quote

This. I would just buy a 22 F4 can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top