Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2022 10:39:16 AM EDT
Who has a Dupage Laminate stock on a Garand?  Do you like it and would you buy one again?

You collectors stay quiet, I’m not replacing the stock on a pristine WW2 era rifle.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m interested too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one in nutmeg. I like it enough that I am considering getting another one. Installed easily. It is on the "beefy" side. Mine is slightly oversized and stands a little proud of the buttplate and handguard bands but that's the way it is. I've read that you can't sand or work the stock because you will never be able to match the finish (supposedly similar to protective finish applied to bowling pins). My upper handguard has a little too much movement (I know it's not supposed to be tight) but it slides back and forth about 1/4 inch. Going to shim it a little.

Overall I'm happy with it. Liked it enough that I got one for an M1A too. Makes a really sharp looking Garand and I've received lots of compliments on it. Not my pic but gives you the idea:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one in nutmeg. I like it enough that I am considering getting another one. Installed easily. It is on the "beefy" side. Mine is slightly oversized and stands a little proud of the buttplate and handguard bands but that's the way it is. I've read that you can't sand or work the stock because you will never be able to match the finish (supposedly similar to protective finish applied to bowling pins). My upper handguard has a little too much movement (I know it's not supposed to be tight) but it slides back and forth about 1/4 inch. Going to shim it a little.

Overall I'm happy with it. Liked it enough that I got one for an M1A too. Makes a really sharp looking Garand and I've received lots of compliments on it. Not my pic but gives you the idea:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36415/M1M1A_small-1_jpg-2347357.JPG

View Quote

Thanks for sharing, I’m looking at the Winter stock myself.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a nutmeg stock and a winter laminate. They're excellent stocks. But they're heavier than walnut
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a nutmeg stock and a winter laminate. They're excellent stocks. But they're heavier than walnut
View Quote

If I ever mentioned an M1 being heavy to my Dad he would talk about how heavy the BAR was.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Wife and kids bought me one. I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If I ever mentioned an M1 being heavy to my Dad he would talk about how heavy the BAR was.
View Quote

I haven't weighed the laminate stocked Garand, but it feels significantly heavier than a walnut stocked Garand. The balance is different and it may not feel quite right to you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I haven't weighed the laminate stocked Garand, but it feels significantly heavier than a walnut stocked Garand. The balance is different and it may not feel quite right to you.
View Quote

I’ve got a Garand with a Dupage walnut stock, it’s real nice.  I want something I can drag around the farm and not be affected by the weather like wood.  Can’t be any heavier than the Match M14’s I shot while in the Corps.  It sure ain’t as awkward as a M16 with a M203.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I’ve got a Garand with a Dupage walnut stock, it’s real nice.  I want something I can drag around the farm and not be affected by the weather like wood.  Can’t be any heavier than the Match M14’s I shot while in the Corps.  It sure ain’t as awkward as a M16 with a M203.
View Quote

My laminated stock Garands are not awkward, but they just feel different. The rifle that you see in the picture is my weather-proof rifle. It also features a chrome lined .30-06 Criterion barrel. The rifle is a Breda serial number BMR 860.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Those look damned nice, especially on the M1A.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I may have get one like those.  They look sharp. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laminated stocks in general are heavier, but the trade-off usually asserted is they’re impervious to the effects or moisture/rain/humidity.

I have an 18.25” ‘Tanker’ Garand in a Dupage Winter Laminate stock. It replaced a significant lighter-weight walnut stock that was badly beat-up and had a hair-line crack in the buttstock area. It’s beautiful compared to what it replaced, but there’s noticeably more weight.

If you’re shooting off a bench, or maybe shooting a few clips in ‘Match’ positions (prone; sitting), it’s not really an issue. And the lock-up is definitely tight, which benefits accuracy.

But if you’re going to carry it around in the field for hunting or whatever (a lot of guys actually hump an M1 at deer camp), just be aware of the weight issue.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one on mine.

Looks super nice, albeit a bit heavier than the original.

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36415/M1M1A_small-1_jpg-2347357.JPG

View Quote

Not my thing but those stocks are beautiful!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top