Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2020 11:34:25 PM EDT
Can you take two USGI 3x magnifiers and put them on each RNVG objective lens to create a 3x Bino? Or, are the objectives too close together that two 3x magnifiers would hit each other?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a dumb question and the answer is yes but how well it works depends on your IP distance
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, but will give you killer headache after a little. It magnifies any collimation issues and any flex in the system throws it even further off.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:00:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:
Yes, but will give you killer headache after a little. It magnifies any collimation issues and any flex in the system throws it even further off.
View Quote

@pbjunkiee  

Is it even worth trying to use two at a time or just use one?

My uses would be scanning a field while hunting, and then immediately popping it off.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:46:57 AM EDT
[#5]
different angle - get cheap PVS7 w/ dedicated 3x or 5x glass.
by far my favorite NV "binocular" for scanning at distance and
gives you a loaner / 2nd set that can run at 1x if needed.

to be at least a bit helpful:  2 USGI 3x magnifiers, closest IP
distance without caps would be right at 2.4 inches
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By HighInput:
different angle - get cheap PVS7 w/ dedicated 3x or 5x glass.
by far my favorite NV "binocular" for scanning at distance and
gives you a loaner / 2nd set that can run at 1x if needed.

to be at least a bit helpful:  2 USGI 3x magnifiers, closest IP 
distance without caps would be right at 2.4 inches
View Quote

100% this.

Also, get a thermal for scanning, it will make your life easier.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#7]
It works. The minimum IPD is somewhat limited. I had to remove the protective caps to make it work well. Otherwise no issues encountered yet. I run this set-up occasionally with ANVIS goggles for stargazing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Honestly if you're going to do this, then I would agree that this is one area where a PVS-7 would actually be a superior option.

No collimation error, no potential IPD interference, lighter when compared to sticking two magnifiers on each tube, and the "flatness" of the image is not really going to be an issue when used for observation at a distance.

That being said, you could also always just use one magnifier with the slip-on cap (instead of thread-on) and close your other eye to observe/scan, and it would be functionally the same as using a PVS-14 with a magnifier [as if hand held], rather than purchasing a PVS-7 solely for this purpose.

~Augee
View Quote

I have one 3x now, and still a couple months from my TNVC RNVGs from coming in, but that's what I planned on doing to start.  I was just wondering if I found another USGI 3x at surplus prices, if I should jump on it.  

I plan on getting a thermal monocular next (Hogster), so I would rather avoid having yet ANOTHER handheld in a PVS7 to carry around while hunting.  

Thanks everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top