Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2018 11:16:11 AM EDT
I’m looking for my first NV set up. I think I want dual pvs-14’s. What would I expect to pay for just the dual pvs-14’s already set up in a bino conf. I’m trying to get more info on a set now. Would pictures of the numbers on both tubes tell me everything I need to know? Will pictures of image through left tube and right tube tell me how much use they have had or how much they have left? How long will they last anyway? I’ve read everything I can google for 2-3 weeks now. I think I’m more confused than when I started. Just don’t want to make a huge mistake out of the gate. I wish I could just go new but 8-9k just isn’t in the cards at the moment. And probably not necessary for the limited use I’ll give them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#1]
There’s a nice used dual setup in the ee right now. You can’t tell the amount of use by looking through them. Gen 3 tubes last 10,000+ hours. Unless it’s a unit from the military I wouldn’t bat an eye buying used.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#3]
It's best to state a budget and the reason you want dual 14s vs a bino or bioccular set up and whats your intended use/s
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's best to state a budget and the reason you want dual 14s vs a bino or bioccular set up and whats your intended use/s
View Quote
im going to call TNVC. i got a PM from them. that being said i chose binos because i went to the dual roll carbine class jack taught last year. when it got dark he busted out some NV stuff from kac. white phosphor and green film. i got to try a few different things. i wish i could remember who it was but another guy had a bino set up on a helmet. he was cool enough to let me check it out. i really liked it. i believe it was a sentinal. so i decided i liked the bino set up best and green film the best. as far as budget i think 4000-4500 is about as cheap as ill find. less expensive would be great but im trying to be reaistic.
i saw the ones in the EE. thats what really peaked my interest. im calling the guy here shortly. then ill call TNVC. Unfortunately i do not know anyone with nv so I have no one to ask or demo anything.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
i saw how you worded that. im going to read the difference in bino vs goggle but i do not know the differences in dual 14's vs those two.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Please give me a PM, be glad to talk through a few things. Thanks
View Quote
replied to your PM
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag for data, Jack is a buddy.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

im going to call TNVC. i got a PM from them. that being said i chose binos because i went to the dual roll carbine class jack taught last year. when it got dark he busted out some NV stuff from kac. white phosphor and green film. i got to try a few different things. i wish i could remember who it was but another guy had a bino set up on a helmet. he was cool enough to let me check it out. i really liked it. i believe it was a sentinal. so i decided i liked the bino set up best and green film the best. as far as budget i think 4000-4500 is about as cheap as ill find. less expensive would be great but im trying to be reaistic.
i saw the ones in the EE. thats what really peaked my interest. im calling the guy here shortly. then ill call TNVC. Unfortunately i do not know anyone with nv so I have no one to ask or demo anything.
View Quote
I have a set of dual 14s the reason I opted for them is for the ability to split them up and still retain the gain control. They're 6-8oz heavier vs Sentinels/Mod 3B etc, but also cheaper by 800-3k cheaper and I have the ability to flip either monocular up to use a RDS, thermal etc. The extra weight of my 14s can be managed by either running your helmet properly @ 1" above your eye brows and @ 4-6 OZ of batteries/counter weights, run a bump helmet, or a Crye Precision Night Cap. That being said your budget can be met with a set of used Mod3B, Sentinels dual 14s etc, but you need to know what your buying to avoid being burned. Just a note the Mod3B also have the ability to be split up/have dual gain, but don't have the option to flip up to the side like a set of dual 14s with a D-14 bridge mount. Other binos you should look at but are going to be out of your budget are BNVD, RNVG, mini bnvd light weights, PVS 15 and a used set of ANVIS 6/9. Any of those option can run from 3K used to 10K+ new depending on tubes. As far as tubes go L3 white phosphor are the new rage, but also look at ITT/Harris HP+ and the Photonis line of either green/white phosphor tubes.  TNVC, JRH Enterprises (Lowdown3), Nightvisioninc (Glynn), and Heat Night Vision are all great companies to deal with so "CALL" all of them to see what they can offer you . Buying for the first time your probably better off buying new with a 2-10 year warranty. Some are builders and farm out the work, but all of them are great to deal with.  If your looking to get your feet wet another great option is to buy a used/new Gen3 OMNI VII PVS7 bioccular "a single tube that is seen by both eyes" for 1,200-1,800. You will hear it's out dated tech since binos are readily available, but the are still in use world wide and can be bought at bargain prices for the performance you get. Also some say the depth perception of duals/binos are better vs a biocular PVS7 but I own both and "For Me" I don't see any difference  in driving, walking, running, etc.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have a set of dual 14s the reason I opted for them is for the ability to split them up and still retain the gain control. They're 6-8oz heavier vs Sentinels/Mod 3B etc, but also cheaper by 800-3k cheaper and I have the ability to flip either monocular up to use a RDS, thermal etc. The extra weight of my 14s can be managed by either running your helmet properly @ 1" above your eye brows and @ 4-6 OZ of batteries/counter weights, run a bump helmet, or a Crye Precision Night Cap. That being said your budget can be met with a set of used Mod3B, Sentinels dual 14s etc, but you need to know what your buying to avoid being burned. Just a note the Mod3B also have the ability to be split up/have dual gain, but don't have the option to flip up to the side like a set of dual 14s with a D-14 bridge mount. Other binos you should look at but are going to be out of your budget are BNVD, RNVG, mini bnvd light weights, PVS 15 and a used set of ANVIS 6/9. Any of those option can run from 3K used to 10K+ new depending on tubes. As far as tubes go L3 white phosphor are the new rage, but also look at ITT/Harris HP+ and the Photonis line of either green/white phosphor tubes.  TNVC, JRH Enterprises (Lowdown3), Nightvisioninc (Glynn), and Heat Night Vision are all great companies to deal with so "CALL" all of them to see what they can offer you . Buying for the first time your probably better off buying new with a 2-10 year warranty. Some are builders and farm out the work, but all of them are great to deal with.  If your looking to get your feet wet another great option is to buy a used/new Gen3 OMNI VII PVS7 bioccular "a single tube that is seen by both eyes" for 1,200-1,800. You will hear it's out dated tech since binos are readily available, but the are still in use world wide and can be bought at bargain prices for the performance you get. Also some say the depth perception of duals/binos are better vs a biocular PVS7 but I own both and "For Me" I don't see any difference  in driving, walking, running, etc.
View Quote
Basically all of this. Don’t let anyone dupe you into spending more money because they say binos are better. Maybe for team guys who don’t pay for them and don’t have to worry about maybe splitting theirs up for someone else to use.

I’m sure someone will be along shortly to tell me I’m wrong but it’s thousands more out of your pocket for the same thing. Actually less if you use one of the new nice bridges.

The 15’s I used were absolutely no better at all, imo, than my dual 14’s. Ymmv
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Great info. I spoke with a seller yesterday. He pointed out all the things mentioned. You can flip one up out of the way to look through something like a thermal. They can be split up so if my son is there we both have one. The ones I’ve been looking at for sale were columnized by mod armory. I’ve got tons of pics. They are said to have 10 hours on them so I’ll say 20 to be safe on that. I’m trying to not be too excited and impulse buy something. I’m not sure what a good price would be. The whole deal sounds reasonable. I’m traveling to Orlando this morning so when I get to the hotel I’ll call some of the places mentioned to see what they have to offer. That may help me price these used ones. As far as the pvs-7 I looked at some of those online but I really like the ability to split them up when my son is around.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I got an email back from JRH Enterprises. All their bino offerings are dedicated units. I definitely want the ability to split them up. They suggested buying two 14’s and having them converted. Can I just buy any two good quality 14’s and have this done? I thought they had to be similar specs? Or is matching done during the conversion? Columnizing. If so I could watch the EE for 14’s until I found two fairly new good quality 14’s and have them converted. Does anyone know what the conversion costs?

I’ve still got to call TNVC back. I was traveling and couldn’t get time to call due to such a difference in time zones. My fault. I’m working my way through the list provided above. I feel in the end I’m doing my research and will end up with something that will be good.

EDIT: also...mounts. Will all mounts work with all set ups? Do they have a universal mounting point? What mounts should I look at? I’ve got an ops core fast bump helmet. I didn’t need ballistic and figured less weight the better.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got an email back from JRH Enterprises. All their bino offerings are dedicated units. I definitely want the ability to split them up. They suggested buying two 14’s and having them converted. Can I just buy any two good quality 14’s and have this done? I thought they had to be similar specs? Or is matching done during the conversion? Columnizing. If so I could watch the EE for 14’s until I found two fairly new good quality 14’s and have them converted. Does anyone know what the conversion costs?

I’ve still got to call TNVC back. I was traveling and couldn’t get time to call due to such a difference in time zones. My fault. I’m working my way through the list provided above. I feel in the end I’m doing my research and will end up with something that will be good.

EDIT: also...mounts. Will all mounts work with all set ups? Do they have a universal mounting point? What mounts should I look at? I’ve got an ops core fast bump helmet. I didn’t need ballistic and figured less weight the better.
View Quote
Having matching 14s / culminated is not an absolute must, but is less eye strain on your membrane. As far as bridges go the Mod Armory D-14 light weight 350.00 or quick disconnect 550.00. I run the light weight and when I split them I run each 14 with a Norotos dual dovetail adapter 120-170 each. You can run the QD version and buy 1 Norotos DD or a Mod Armory "dovetail" J Arm both will be slop wiggle free. Definitely call TNVC back, but I strongly suggest calling Glynn at night vision Inc to see what he can build for you. He can build you a set of Mod 3Bs pods culminate it for a bridge mount that you can buy in the future when money allows. He can build.match tubes and basically build, purge, culminate a verity of bridges, tubes, and housings that are available today. Also Glynn has some of the best prices out there, extremely honest, a great guy to boot before and after the sale.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:03:22 AM EDT
[#14]
The MOD 3 bravo is 6200.00 if I read correctly and if I choose Photonis Hybrid Green. ( forgive any spelling errors). The other option that I would choose is L3 I filmed green. Difference in price is 2300 between the two. So L3 tubes or Photonis tubes. I definitely want the capability to split into two monoculars. Goggles for me or split them up when my son is out with me. My budget started at 4-5k. The MOD 3B would either be 6200 or 8500. Thoughts on the Photonis tubes? 6200 might be doable. Also can the TNVC sentinels or Adams Industries sentinels be split apart when need be? Again my goal is a giggle set up that I can split up for two people on occasion. To be used just as a civilian to see things on my land at night or just walking around the woods. 8-9k is very steep for the use I would give them. 5-6k is doable.
The MOD 3B’s do look good. The Photonis tubes could be in my budget. L3 tubes may not be. I understand all the arguments about paying for quality. As with everything in life. I just need to find that balance for me of cost vs quality vs the use I’ll give them.
Also I appreciate everyone taking the time to give advice on this stuff. It’s definitely helping.
Wish I was closer to TNVC or NVinc so I could actually try a few things out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:36:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m hoping the mod-3 will be in the Black Friday sale.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top