Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2018 1:59:10 PM EDT
So I have been looking at plates and carriers for a little bit. Last night I had a few beers and was looking at the Grey ghost iii+ composite that optics planet has on sale.

Needless to say it’s just so easy to hit buy now while feeling a little too good. Haha

I got the plate and carrier for $395. How bad did I screw up?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Well...better to have it and not need it....
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Grey ghost is best ghost.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How bad did I screw up?
View Quote
Dunno, what were you drinking?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I have been looking at plates and carriers for a little bit. Last night I had a few beers and was looking at the Grey ghost iii+ composite that optics planet has on sale.

Needless to say it’s just so easy to hit buy now while feeling a little too good. Haha

View Quote

Badly, since you didnt get level 4
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems lilke a solid purchase.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Needless to say it's just so easy to hit buy now while feeling a little too good. Haha

Explain your reasoning.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dunno, what were you drinking?
View Quote
Just beer. Can’t drink whiskey anymore so I just drink a shit load of beer.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Explain your reasoning.
View Quote
Heh. I'm pretty sure he's joking. Pretty good one, too. Had me going for a second there.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope. Id take level 3 over the level 4 pates I have currently.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Explain your reasoning.
View Quote
Lotta bangers have draco's, etc.
Not just 9s
Rma level 4 plate is just $100 shipped
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not just 9s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain your reasoning.
Not just 9s
So? III will stop 7.62x39 no problem.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I hope to god I never have to find out what it will stop but like they say. Better to have it and not need it.....  
it’s not that it won’t be nice to have around but I don’t plan on running in to a stream of bullets either. I’m civilian so it’s not like I’m deploying or anything.

With that said thanks to all who have served and those that have given everything for this great country of ours.
Happy Veterans Day! May you be surrounded by loved family and friends on this day.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not just 9s
View Quote
Is that a stand alone composite plate?  I work in a fab shop and can’t imagine strapping a steel plate to my chest and wanting to wear it. The shit only works if you wear it right?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh hell shows what I kmow.
. 308 then
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not just 9s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain your reasoning.
Not just 9s
Level III plate's stop 7.62x39 just fine. NIJ level III testing is against 7.62x51 M80 ball projectiles at ~2780 FPS. The plates OP bought having a ceramic strike face means they'll also stop M855.

Weighing in at just over 4 pounds per plate I think they're a fine choice aside from being single curve, but that's primarily a comfort issue.

ETA: Also, RMA's 1155 plate weighs over 8 pounds per plate. OP's plates are half the weight of RMA's plate and they'll still stop all common CONUS rifle threats.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is that a stand alone composite plate?  I work in a fab shop and can’t imagine strapping a steel plate to my chest and wanting to wear it. The shit only works if you wear it right?
View Quote
https://rmadefense.com
Got a condor to carry it.
I know it's not the best but it passed a pretty harsh test I've seem.
Guy doing much more with it on than I'll ever do
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Oh hell shows what I kmow.
. 308 then
View Quote
Hey I’m asking because I don’t know everything. I asked because I want to learn not start a pissing match.

Please enlighten me. I just assumed for a hundred bucks it was steel and said that I wouldn’t be willing to use steel. I carry that around all day at work.

If I made a stupid purchase I will cancel the order or send it back?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://rmadefense.com
Got a condor to carry it.
I know it's not the best but it passed a pretty harsh test I've seem.
Guy doing much more with it on than I'll ever do
View Quote
Thank you that’s some valid info for me to digest. I will watch the vid right now.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Also, I just now processed exactly what it is you ordered.

If I'm looking at the same thing you only bought one plate. You'll still need to get another plate.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes it’s only one plate. Hopefully I will get another but I figure I will be facing the threat and hopefully not running away. Not that that doesn’t happen?  I still need plates for my wife and family so this is a start.

Do you think it was a bad purchase I loved the idea of half the weight but the other guy does have a point on the cost of the other brand. I just can’t see moving running getting up and down with the extra weight worth the cost savings?

Maybe to protect people in the group that aren’t actively engaging threats?  Like I said it’s all hypothetical more of prepper sort of thing.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nope. Id take level 3 over the level 4 pates I have currently.
View Quote
What plates did you buy?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hey I’m asking because I don’t know everything. I asked because I want to learn not start a pissing match.

Please enlighten me. I just assumed for a hundred bucks it was steel and said that I wouldn’t be willing to use steel. I carry that around all day at work.

If I made a stupid purchase I will cancel the order or send it back?
View Quote
I didnt mean any disrespect. I may indeed be the unenlightened one here
Here's the condor review. Dude puts it through it's paces
https://youtu.be/rXj9QvxW27g
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes it's only one plate. Hopefully I will get another but I figure I will be facing the threat and hopefully not running away. Not that that doesn't happen?  I still need plates for my wife and family so this is a start.

Do you think it was a bad purchase I loved the idea of half the weight but the other guy does have a point on the cost of the other brand. I just can't see moving running getting up and down with the extra weight worth the cost savings?

Maybe to protect people in the group that aren't actively engaging threats?  Like I said it's all hypothetical more of prepper sort of thing.
View Quote
You're going to want another plate otherwise the weight balance of the carrier will be off and it won't wear properly. You can always buy a cheaper plate like the RMA 1155 as your second plate, it doesn't have to be the same. If you end up with a heavier second plate I'd recommend putting that one in the back as all your gear (if you choose to mount any) will be mounted in the front or near the front.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#24]
That was not a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That was not a good deal.
View Quote
Ehh... he could have done worse.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#26]
As mentioned the carrier is designed to work with two plates. There are rigs that use only one front plate, like the RRV, but that is a dated idea. Plate carriers typically rely on the structure provided by the plate to distribute weight and keep the PALS webbing in position. I have a GGG minimalist, and I like it a lot for use as a hand out carrier. It's buckle side closures make it don quickly and you can mount just the minimum stuff you may need. This is how I have mine configured. https://imgur.com/MCWWbFQ
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm guessing that's a Hesco re-brand?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hesco level IV plates are only 125 bucks. They are a little less than an inch thick, but most PCs can handle it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hesco level IV plates are only 125 bucks. They are a little less than an inch thick, but most PCs can handle it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which model? There are 3 Hesco models that meet level IV specs, and the one with the closest weight to the plate OP bought, the BI 4800, is a ~$1000 plate.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Now the info is flowing. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. I had no idea there were this many facets to body armor.

I like the idea of a heavier plate in the back sounds like it would balance out a few mags in the front.

I will probly keep the one I have ordered and supplement with other plates as I can afford them. Maybe some higher end and some low end then I will have loaner plates for friends and fam when I figure out my favorite setup.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#31]
GGG sells 3610s and some of the other Hesco plates. I bet it was a 3410.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Weight is a HUGE component. So you did good there.

But there are just too many yahoo’s out there with big ass bolt action rifles.

As much as I hate it I’ll take the extra poundage that comes with my lvl 4 plates.

If I was constantly patrolling or doing long hikes or marches I’d probably change my tune. But I’m not and I doubt I will if shtf.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:51:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
GGG sells 3610s and some of the other Hesco plates. I bet it was a 3410.
View Quote
Yep. I was basing this off the NIJ cert list for GGG being a lot of Hesco part #
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What plates did you buy?
View Quote
I’ve got spartan armor level 4s. They’re comfortable, because they’re  multi-curve, but I wouldn’t mind shedding some weight.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it multicurve? If not you screwed up.

Did you want to upgrade carriers later?  If so, I hope its a SAPI cut and not a non standardized 10x12 random shape. If that is the case, you screwed up.

Its pretty easy to not screw up. Same reccomendations in countless threads. All you have to do is get:

SAPI shape
Multicurved
Stand alone
Level III+

Thats it. Pretty straightforward. If you have those features, you did not screw up. If you have none of those features, you made a bad purchase.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Btw, level III+ is kind of a made up designation.   NIJ only has III or IV, but manufacturers seem to use it to denote level III with M855 capability.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#37]
So I received my plate. I’m pretty sure it’s a standard size. It’s III+ and it is single curve but fits me well. It is really light but doesn’t feel right in the carrier with out a rear plate. I ordered the hessco level IV for $125. I hope it all evens out. Guess shot happens when you are learning but it’s a work in progress.

Maybe I should quit drinking? I don’t really research shit when I’m drinking.

Thanks for all your help. Keep the info flowing cause I still have a lot to learn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top