Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2020 8:19:11 PM EDT
Last night I took a nice 20 mile drive with my OMNI VIII PVS-14, it was a clear night but low moonlight.

I was out in the middle of the desert so no urban lighting to assist.

I just had a few questions for those of you who do drive around with nods on.

Do you guys use any kind of supplemental IR when you drive?

I didn’t think that my windshield was tinted at all but I noticed that looking through it was about 30% darker than when I looked out the window rolled down. (Anything to aid in that or is it just darker when looking through thick glass?)

Final question do you guys roll around with your gain up high? I noticed up high I could maybe identify things a little more but the clarity was definetly effected vs lowered gain I could make things out at a distance more clearly but it was annoying how hard I had to focus on darker images.

All in all it was fun and it definitely makes me think about getting into Binos it’s actually making me beg the question if I even need manual gain since I only ever go to places that are usually devoid of urban lighting. I’m thinking about getting ANVIS-9s for the price.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve only drive a few times with nv and didn’t use supplemental light, although I think there was plenty of moon light. One thing that did annoy me was excessive instrument light. I wouldn’t mind throwing a heavy piece of tinting over my instrument cluster in the future.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Windshields block a whole lot more light than we think. Night vision, cameras and regular binoculars all suffer when looking thru auto glass. And thermal is really bad

Interior / instrument lights are a problem; tape them up.

Manual gain is nice but not necessary. Everyone thinks they're gonna crank the gain up but the opposite is true - you'll crank the gain down to reduce noise (speckles). With bino goggles noise is not a problem; the noise from each side cancels each other out. Weird huh.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Windshields do affect it some. If you have lighting inside the ABC will dim your image also.

Ideally you should cover the instrument lights/stereo/etc if you can’t kill them. Towels, etc or better use  some Velcro and rig up cardboard/plastic/etc. cut outs to cover them up.

Something to consider if you do Anvis. I have an older F350 with green accent lighting and I replaced my instrument cluster with one with green LEDs. Works great with my Anvis goggles. This may or not work with your vehicle however.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Suplemental IR depends on how dark it is and how fast I'm going
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I drive country roads blacked out. Have to cover the dash, but generally don’t need supplemental ir, it is a future purchase though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Forgot to add. I don’t run IR lights on the truck or my previous Jeeps but I would use the running lights sometimes. They’ll look like headlights
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Suplemental IR depends on how dark it is and how fast I'm going
View Quote
This.

On some vehicles we use small red led’s if we want to be cheap. Can barely see them with the naked eye but they help.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the reply/advice guys.

I usually use my old beat up Toyota just for the fact that It’s the vehicle with the least interior lighting when all the switches are off.

Kinda sucks that the auto glass kills the lighting that much if I shot out the windshield I’d be able to see good as day

Makes me want an ATV even more...
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
ATV's are really fun, I prefer our quiet little honda recon 250 over the 550fi. I take my 4runner out under nod's quite a bit, I am looking at adding Baja Designs IR pods to the roof rack to go with the BD lightbar, fogs, & reverse lights I have. Just need to wire up a brake light kill switch..
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ATV's are really fun, I prefer our quiet little honda recon 250 over the 550fi. I take my 4runner out under nod's quite a bit, I am looking at adding Baja Designs IR pods to the roof rack to go with the BD lightbar, fogs, & reverse lights I have. Just need to wire up a brake light kill switch..
View Quote
Edited I realized you already stated it was quieter. How does the 250 fair climbing the hills? I’m a bigger guy..
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Dam.. wish my friends weren’t losers with no night vision I feel all alone

Kidding I know some people aren’t interested I’m probably the nerd
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Ir light magnet mounted to front bumper. Using a wireless remote to turn off. The wireless box hooks up to batt with a quick connect by my front grill to hook up light when needed.

Older f350 pressing the emergency flasher switch down and holding it cuts out brake lights. Simple Velcro strap and a small bolt or object to hold down the switch works.  Interior switch which replaced fuse with a switch and an inline fuse makes quick work of wiring a kill switch for lights.

Windscreen drops light level, so adding IR light helps.  Windows down side mirrors don’t reduce light level and work for thermal as well. Sometimes critters wait for vehicle to pass before coming out.??  Popped many a critter that thought I was driving off, when I stopped and got out.   Put transmission in neutral so no reverse lights, works well in soft dirt/ sand.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:02:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a set of Ridgid IR pods on my side by side, glad I have them, I can run around the farm at 50mph and feel totally comfortable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got my ANVIS-9s about a month ago and have been driving around as much as I can. My truck interior dash lights dim down enough to not mess with me, so I don’t cover it.

If the night is clear skies and at least half moon, I don’t even bother with any additional illumination help. If I need it, I just use my running lights, the wannabe audi led strips on my pickup. Since the glass dims the image, the running led lights work perfectly.

I’d like to get some IR and white lights for off roading. Where I go, you only drive about 30mph tops so right now it’s not a huge deal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I have my Tacoma set up for NV hunting. Rigid IR lightbar, brake & reverse light killswitches, rifle racks in the bed. 2nd gen Tacoma dimmer switch blacks the instruments all the way out like it was destined to be a boogaloo truck. The IR lightbar is not always needed, but another added benefit is that it illuminates holes/ruts in the trail so you know an obstacle is coming up and you can go around or brace for impact . I could easily drive 80+ mph blacked out if I wanted/needed to. You definitely lose some light through the windshield. I keep those little window cleaner wipes handy under the back seat to keep my windshield and mirrors clean if needed. Also, it was cheaper than a side by side, I can drive it on the road, and its 87x quieter than any ATV or side by side. The only downside is no thermal scanning through the windshield, but that's what the cooler top in the bed is for.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have my Tacoma set up for NV hunting. Rigid IR lightbar, brake & reverse light killswitches, rifle racks in the bed. 2nd gen Tacoma dimmer switch blacks the instruments all the way out like it was destined to be a boogaloo truck. The IR lightbar is not always needed, but another added benefit is that it illuminates holes/ruts in the trail so you know an obstacle is coming up and you can go around or brace for impact . I could easily drive 80+ mph blacked out if I wanted/needed to. You definitely lose some light through the windshield. I keep those little window cleaner wipes handy under the back seat to keep my windshield and mirrors clean if needed. Also, it was cheaper than a side by side, I can drive it on the road, and its 87x quieter than any ATV or side by side. The only downside is no thermal scanning through the windshield, but that's what the cooler top in the bed is for.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316047/taco_jpg-1289554.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316047/grill_jpg-1289555.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316047/rack_jpg-1289557.JPG
View Quote
Damn I’d like to do a similar setup on my truck but I also have a Cummins with a 5” straight pipe lol.

For the kill switches did you just tap into the 12v wire going to the brakes and reverse and put a switch in between?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Damn I'd like to do a similar setup on my truck but I also have a Cummins with a 5" straight pipe lol.

For the kill switches did you just tap into the 12v wire going to the brakes and reverse and put a switch in between?
View Quote
Haha yeah that wouldn't be very stealthy

Yeah. Exactly that on the switches. Also forgot to mention: there were a couple small seatbelt/airbad/doodad lights on the dash under the radio that weren't dimmed by the dimmer switch, so those got the gorilla tape treatment.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#22]
@Jeepinjoe17 what gun mounts are those? Happy with them?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@Jeepinjoe17 what gun mounts are those? Happy with them?
View Quote
@ThisWildAdventure

Kolpin. I love them. You can angle/orient/turn them any direction you need. The only weak link is the little rubber keepers at the top. Hunting buddies think they need to have them ratcheted to 500 ft/lbs of clamping force to hold their rifle in and tear them . Luckily, I'm a forward-thinker and ordered spares to keep in the glove box.

I did weld upper supports on mine to tie into my headache rack that I also built. The mounts are basically a floor-mount in stock form.

Mount

Straps
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
SNIP

Finally, take into consideration that for the most part, you're not going to be able to use your mirrors, except for potentially your passenger side, your rear view and driver's side mirror will be too close and too blurry to really use, and if you have a backup camera, most likely you will have covered the screen during your low light preparations, otherwise, you're going to have a blooming infotainment screen that suddenly lights up and causes your goggles to auto-dim, and you won't be able to see shit.

Guys often forget about this, and they'll physically look at their mirrors due to muscle memory, not realize that they can't actually see their mirrors clearly, and since they're not registering any obstructions, back right up into stuff. Many an accident report has been written because of this, and many a supervisor has been badly dinged for not adhering to proper ground guiding procedures because of this.

~Augee
View Quote
Augee, as usual I agree with all of your other points 100%. But in my experience, the opposite of this (in red) is true. I have a 2005 Tacoma. I can see crystal clear through my driver's side and rearview mirrors under NODs without adjusting my objective lenses from infinity. I can easily drive 5-10mph in reverse looking through my drivers side/rear view mirror, depending on ambient light. Usually someone is in the bed scanning, thus blocking my rearview mirror, so I use the driver's side. Also, my back glass has the factory tint, which is not optimal. Need to see if I can remove that. The passenger side mirror is always blurry whether I'm sitting in the driver's or passenger seat. I think it may be slightly convex (objects in mirror are closer than they appear) which causes it to be blurry under NODs. IDK.

The same is true on my 2018 F-250. Also, the convex blind spot mirrors below the regular side mirrors are blurry as well.

As always YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Augee, as usual I agree with all of your other points 100%. But in my experience, the opposite of this (in red) is true.
View Quote
Same.  I think Augee got it backwards.  We have discussed this and I provided a video here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-/18-502763/?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted: . . . .  FWIW, this is not consistent across vehicles and vehicle types . . . .
View Quote
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/why-are-objects-in-the-mirror-closer-than-they-appear

All passenger vehicle driver side mirrors are flat.  All passenger side mirrors are convex.  In the video I provided at the link above, you can also see the aftermarket convex blindspot mirror demonstrate the same issues as the passenger mirror.  It's not different from one car to another.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@Jeepinjoe17
@ThisWildAdventure

Fair enough.

If anything, I would say "don't trust your mirrors until you've verified," to be honest, it's been so long now, I've just gotten used to simply not trusting the mirrors, whether they be HMMWVs or various types of NTVs. So, when you're driving a new vehicle under NODs for the first time, probably best to verify, like, and not saying anyone would ever do this... if you happened to be in a rental.

Fun semi-related story, we went to Overland Expo West last year with Lightforce, and I was just like some of the dudes who show up to our booth at trade shows, I'd look at stuff on display, and be like "man... I got issued all this stuff in the military, and I know how to use it and used it a lot overseas, but I don't know the first thing about it!"

~Augee
View Quote
I'll agree with that!

And to your rental point, I'd say just get the insurance!
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Aluminum foil for the instrument panel.  electrical tape for other random lights in the cab.  supplemental IR depends on how dark it is.  i have a 8 inch ir light bar with magnets on it that i can attach to the hood and connect to the cigarette lighter outlet.  Having clean windows is VERY important with night vision.  keep a bottle of good glass cleaner in your car and make sure the windows are clean before you go out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Aluminum foil for the instrument panel.  electrical tape for other random lights in the cab.  supplemental IR depends on how dark it is.  i have a 8 inch ir light bar with magnets on it that i can attach to the hood and connect to the cigarette lighter outlet.  Having clean windows is VERY important with night vision.  keep a bottle of good glass cleaner in your car and make sure the windows are clean before you go out.
View Quote
Is that the Goblin Tactical one? I dig the cigarette lighter & magnet attachments so you can use it on multiple vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Supplemental light is a good option to have when there is low % vis. Some lights will also have a bit of directional light and give you a hard line to use as an aiming point while turning or keeping a certain distance trailing other vehicles
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#35]
One very boring FTX, using beater -7s, I managed to crash a humvee into a dirt berm next to an LZ.

Not my proudest moment.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Can I come next time?  I have NV and thermal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Is that the Goblin Tactical one? I dig the cigarette lighter & magnet attachments so you can use it on multiple vehicles.
View Quote
No its a cheapo bar from amazon:

Amazon Product
  • 850-Nanometer Wavelength
  • 35 Degree Beam Pattern
  • 18W / 12-28VDC

Amazon Product
  • ? Powerful Magnet - Our superior strong magnetic light bar mount are made of powerful Neodymium Magnetic Discs, therefore providing strong connection between the vehicle and led light bar.
  • ? Anti-scratch Protective Cover - Soft rubber covers help prevent scratching surface.
  • ? No Drilling Installation - Mounting LED light on the base and tighten anti-loose screws, then adsorbed on your car. No-hole drilling to fix on your vehicles and devices.

Amazon Product
  • 10FT long
  • This is a standard parts, apply to almost all models of cigarette lighter socket.
  • Also can use other appliances with terminal. Line nose aperture is 6.3 mm.

Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice!
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Yep. Perfect budget setup IMHO. Can be moved to whatever vehicle you want.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Freaking Genius
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow, great info and links - Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#42]
The leds red signature will be seen from a long distance. The black t shirt trick should cut down the glow.  It’s very very bright.  Guy I know bought it thinking it was a red light and after getting it said it wasn’t bright enough to see the dirt roads around the fields. After He looked thru my pvs14 he saw how bright they were. They lit up hundreds and hundreds of yards. Pvs 14 had to be turned way down. He ended up using a baby cam on the hood and the monitor inside his truck for driving around the fields.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#43]
That’s amazing with the baby cam and monitor.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
NP.  I’ll show it to you when we meet up.

Keep in mind that some truck bodies are aluminum and the magnets won’t stick to those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top