Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2018 11:31:41 PM EDT
I am looking for a driveway alarm/motion detector. I have had issues with my cars being broke into, and had someone attempt to get in my front door in the middle of the night. I'd like to get some alert that someone is coming up the drive or approaching the house. I have some motion lights already.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info. I’m having the same issue.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 12:51:25 AM EDT
[#2]
You can scare 'em or you can slow 'em down. You'll never stop 'em.

Put a LOUD alarm on your driveway alarms. Let the neighborhood know they are around!
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:18:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I use Chamberlain and have 2 sensors. Had it a few months now with no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I have used these from Harbor Freight for years.  Only problem is the in-house annunciator goes "BING-BONG" every time a deer or dog comes within range.

The in-house annunciator has a "LOUD/LOW" volume setting.

The sensor must be within 400 feet of the annunciator they say, but they work better if they are a little closer.  Mine work fine at around 120 feet.

I painted the outdoor sensor camo so it was less noticeable.

https://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-security-alert-system-61910.html
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got this one. Sometimes it is cheaper at TSC. It's going into the 3rd year of use with no major problems. The battery out at the sensor lasts at least a year...maybe longer, but I change it every 12 months just in case.

Mine is 200' from the base to the sensor and that includes the signal having to go all the way through all the walls in my house. Out in the open, it will reach at least 300' just based on what I tested.

It used to give a false alarm sometimes (like once per month) but I turned down the sensitivity and that stopped. If the sensitivity is turned down too much, it won't pick up a car that zooms by fast.

Deer, people, and other non-metal things don't set it off. No problems with being in the rain/heat/wind/snow. I've got the above-ground part sitting in some trees so it isn't easily seen until its too late.

The indoor chime is pretty loud, but has a volume knob. There is only one chime to select and it can be annoying, especially when UPS, USPS, meter reader, propane guy, all show up within an hour of each other. Old folks like me think the chime sounds like a beep version of  the keyboard part of "Hold Your Head Up" by Argent.

Amazon Product
  • Instantly alerts you when someone pulls into or out of your driveway
  • The outdoor electromagnetic sensor only detects vehicles; no false alarms due to animals, children, etc.
  • Easy-to-install Electromagnetic Sensor Wand is buried next to your driveway, and detects mass metal moving within a 3-12 ft. radius of the wand.

Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Harbor Freight has a coupon now for theirs.  It can be purchased for $9.99:

LINK
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had the HF at the end of my 300 ft driveway.  It is about 375ft from the inside sensor.  Works, I get false alarm occasionally.  But I'd rather have false than nothing.  I use as just another notice same as my dogs who don't miss much...... Worth the 10 bux
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Length of driveway??? That's important.

For longer driveways, or instances where you want 100% reliability, Dakota Alert seems to have a great reputation. But they are more costly (IIRC, a single sensor is over $100).

The advantage is, you can get a handheld MURS radio as your "base station" and just carry it with you around your property etc. You can have multiple sensors (and even difference sensor types) feeding signal back to that radio.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used these from Harbor Freight for years.  Only problem is the in-house annunciator goes "BING-BONG" every time a deer or dog comes within range.

The in-house annunciator has a "LOUD/LOW" volume setting.

The sensor must be within 400 feet of the annunciator they say, but they work better if they are a little closer.  Mine work fine at around 120 feet.

I painted the outdoor sensor camo so it was less noticeable.

https://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-security-alert-system-61910.html
View Quote
I've used these, too.  One died, and I replaced it with the same item. It works great.  Like above, it is sensitive and will trip in the presence of small animals.  I like it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 1900' winding, hilly, tree lined drive.

I'd like to put one about halfway to alert us before a vehicle pulls up to the house.

Do these things need to be line of sight with the base unit?

A few that I looked at require a buried sensor but I can't do that since my driveway is asphalt.

Would it be possible to run several sensors to the same base station with different tones?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M3QINCM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518458250&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=driveway+alarm+wireless+long+range&psc=1#nav-search-keywords

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00436XKXG/ref=mp_s_a_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1518460220&sr=8-28&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=driveway+alarm+wireless+long+range
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a 1900' winding, hilly, tree lined drive.

I'd like to put one about halfway to alert us before a vehicle pulls up to the house.

Do these things need to be line of sight with the base unit?

A few that I looked at require a buried sensor but I can't do that since my driveway is asphalt.

Would it be possible to run several sensors to the same base station with different tones?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M3QINCM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518458250&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=driveway+alarm+wireless+long+range&psc=1#nav-search-keywords

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00436XKXG/ref=mp_s_a_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1518460220&sr=8-28&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=driveway+alarm+wireless+long+range
View Quote
I can only speak to the Mule brand one that I have and it is line of sight with walls and trees reducing the distance. To my knowledge, it can't be setup with several sensors. The sensor is buried next to the driveway and not under it in my case. (asphalt driveway too). The downside to it is that it won't trigger if a person walks up my driveway, so I use a camera for that.

I tried a motion-detector-type system like in your links, but it would go off with deer, dogs, and other critters. I never could get the sensitivity adjusted to a reliable point, but that could be user error.

There is a type of system out there that runs on MURS like a personal radio and it can reach a longer distance and will do different alerts for each sensor feeding into one base station. It also has a handlheld receiver which could be handy if walking around outside. It may even work with other handheld radios.  It would still have the issue of going off if a deer crossed the road unless you could find the right height to be above a deer, but still pick up a car or person. I'm still considering trying it because it has a driveway sensor version and a motion sensor version.

https://www.absoluteautomation.com/long-range-driveway-alarms/index.html
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use Chamberlain and have 2 sensors. Had it a few months now with no complaints.
View Quote
I have a similar rig and they're not bad. They are VERY inconsistent on range. Some days I get 50 feet, some days I get 10.

I've also noticed that if you walk by them up close, with a brisk walk, it may not go off.

They're still better than most. I plan to upgrade to Dakotas eventually.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used the Harbor Freight one for years.

I mounted it on my mailbox post and put black tape over 1/2 of the sensor to keep it from going off every time a car goes down the street.

Works great for anyone pulling in or walking up the drive.

I sometimes have to turn off the inside unit when the neighborhood kids are riding bikes and using my drive for the turn around spot  
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got this one. Sometimes it is cheaper at TSC. It's going into the 3rd year of use with no major problems. The battery out at the sensor lasts at least a year...maybe longer, but I change it every 12 months just in case.

Mine is 200' from the base to the sensor and that includes the signal having to go all the way through all the walls in my house. Out in the open, it will reach at least 300' just based on what I tested.

It used to give a false alarm sometimes (like once per month) but I turned down the sensitivity and that stopped. If the sensitivity is turned down too much, it won't pick up a car that zooms by fast.

Deer, people, and other non-metal things don't set it off. No problems with being in the rain/heat/wind/snow. I've got the above-ground part sitting in some trees so it isn't easily seen until its too late.

The indoor chime is pretty loud, but has a volume knob. There is only one chime to select and it can be annoying, especially when UPS, USPS, meter reader, propane guy, all show up within an hour of each other. Old folks like me think the chime sounds like a beep version of  the keyboard part of "Hold Your Head Up" by Argent.

www.amazon.com/dp/B003765W0W
View Quote
I have the same one. It is very basic, but does what it is designed to do well. In the future I'd like to get something with smart home connectivity so I can trigger as many different types of alarms as I want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top