Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2022 7:47:46 PM EDT
I've got two uppers with muzzle devices pinned and welded on.  My old Harbor Freight drill press was damaged years ago, I never replaced it and have been looking for an excuse, now I've got one.  That and I really don't want to ship them to a gunsmith when the task is relatively simple.  So I don't want to break the bank and could probably make do with another HF, but is there anything out there a little better at not much more money?  And I'll need a vise, which I never had on the old press.  Regular vise or XY?
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Every one I've ever seen removed that didn't look like rats ate it off was done in a mill.

Not discouraging you from buying tools, just sharing my observations. However if I was going to attempt the drill, I would use a grinder to remove the weld to the greatest degree possible before I went to work with the drill.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#2]
A good old fashioned drill press works great.  Like an old 500 lb South Bend drill press.  Surgically drill right into the pin.  Use a carbide or HS bit.  Go slow
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]
A vice isn't really needed, I've done it with a simple V-Block.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I would look at a bench top mill/drill way better then any drill press and you can mill with it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:57:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would look at a bench top mill/drill way better then any drill press and you can mill with it.
View Quote

180-degree / 109% disagree.  A solid old fashioned drill press will focus energy down and hold it tight to drill right into the pin.  A mill is a sideways tool with very little vertical travel or torque.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

180-degree / 109% disagree.  A solid old fashioned drill press will focus energy down and hold it tight to drill right into the pin.  A mill is a sideways tool with very little vertical travel or torque.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never ran a Centre-cutting end mill cutter,eh
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#7]
My boss did his FN w/ a hand file and Dremel. Didn't look pretty, but the device was getting tossed, anyway.
Offered to do it on my mill, but he's...impatient.

Quoted:Centre-cutting end mill
View Quote

Yup.
Not to mention, a loose fitting pin can "break loose", once the weld is compromised, and start spinning or cause the bit to go off-center and possibly snap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top