Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2020 10:40:36 PM EDT
I have a Hornady small primer pocket reamer kit which includes the reamer head and a knurled aluminum handle for doing this by hand.

Some of you have mentioned placing the reamer head (which is threaded) in a drill chuck. Hornady does not seem to sell this item or is this something to be had at the hardware store?

Guidance, please.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I just cut the head off a #8-32 screw. Works just as well and found it in the misc. fastener bucket I have so it was free and didn't even have to leave the house.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've just chucked mine up and it has worked. If the threads get a little messed up, that's okay because I'm not using it on my prep machine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd read (and ended up doing this) that the threads on a lot of cheapo gun cleaning kits brass rods, the type that are like around 8ish inches long, in a compact kit, and u screw them into each other to make a long rod to use bore patches/brass brushes etc.. ....
Anywhow...someone mentioned just chopping one down and screwing the reamer piece into it..
Anyways yeah can confirm..does work..I chopped mine to like 3ish inches long..
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I do exactly the same.  Probably have reamed 3-4k cases and no issues with the threads.

But the coupler is so cheap I'd grab one but always forget about it till I go to use it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
One of my gun cleaning kits, with the multi section rods, the end you put the cleaning parts on, like the loop and brush is 8x32 thread.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I use both the Hornady reamer and the Mighty Armory on-press swager kit.

Both work equally well but the reamer has an advantage in that it creates a much more visible chamfer making it easier to determine if a piece mil-crimped brass has already had the crimp removed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Scored one at Lowes this morning. It was the last one in stock and finding the coupling nuts was a pain in the ass and of course not a store associate to be found. The store has also removed those call buttons that summon the person who's supposed to be working that area.

If you go to Lowe's looking for these you will find them in the "specialty/hard-to-find" nut/bolt/fastener drawers. In the "stainless steel" section (blue drawers). Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Scored one at Lowes this morning. It was the last one in stock and finding the coupling nuts was a pain in the ass and of course not a store associate to be found. The store has also removed those call buttons that summon the person who's supposed to be working that area.

If you go to Lowe's looking for these you will find them in the "specialty/hard-to-find" nut/bolt/fastener drawers. In the "stainless steel" section (blue drawers). Good luck!
View Quote
Time is money...  what, you didn't like my links above???  

$16 delivered at Grafs
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine, with military discount and tax, $3.16
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#13]
That's excellent but...  Just curious - how much time, effort, blood, sweat, & tears, etc.???  What about the time/money duality???  I know, there IS the thrill/adventure of the chase and everything you learn in the process...

PS: I thank you for your service good sir!
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Took me probably 10 minutes. Got my drill out, a gallon bag of LC brass, and will be reaming away this afternoon.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Took me probably 10 minutes. Got my drill out, a gallon bag of LC brass, and will be reaming away this afternoon.
View Quote
Sounded like more than 10 minutes of store time not to mention the drive time to and fro...  but no matter, glad you got it for a great $price$ - enjoy your afternoon reaming session!

Cheers!

- R -
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Not sure why you didn’t just put the threads in the chuck.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#17]
That new coupling nut is going to come in handy and I just culled 75 mil-crimped cases out of a haul of 750 pieces of range pick-ups.

Busting out the drill!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top