Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2023 4:39:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sketti]
One of my goals has been to enhance my gun maintenance abilities. I'm currently doing this through online videos and better/more equipment. To reach this goal, one of the items I wanted, and finally got, was a drill press (see below). This is the first drill press I've ever used so I'm not sure what accessories to get. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Start with a set of toe clamps, like these...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=toe+clamps&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=moz-us-20

...and a vice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
An Albrecht keyless drill chuck and a nice vise as previously mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I came to say jackshaft speed-reduction kit because almost all consumer drill presses spin much too fast for most metal drilling tasks…

But it looks like you have a press with a DC motor and speed controller so my suggestion is moot. Tell us about it. Looks nice!

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
A good vise and the means to clamp it in place. A nice set of drill bits.  The keyless chuck is a nice to have but spend your money on the other stuff first.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, added a vice, clamps, and a keyless chuck to my list of things to get.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:
I came to say jackshaft speed-reduction kit because almost all consumer drill presses spin much too fast for most metal drilling tasks

But it looks like you have a press with a DC motor and speed controller so my suggestion is moot. Tell us about it. Looks nice!

View Quote

It's a Nova Viking, very quiet, and has a lot of automated features. Video on press
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:
I came to say jackshaft speed-reduction kit because almost all consumer drill presses spin much too fast for most metal drilling tasks

View Quote

It's a Nova Viking, very quiet, and has a lot of automated features. Video on press
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Depending on what you're working on a set of soft jaws for the vice might come in handy.
I use mine all the time.
Soft jaws

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:59:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sketti] [#9]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
Depending on what you're working on a set of soft jaws for the vice might come in handy.
I use mine all the time.
Soft jaws

View Quote

I have these for my main Wilton vice, I think they should work.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:48:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Sketti:

View Quote

Holy crap. That thing is amazing. I love old high quality American iron manual machines, but I have to get me one of those.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rleonard:
View Quote
This one ? Yikes, they are expensive, is there a middle of the road one that you recommend?
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#13]
This one ? Yikes, they are expensive, is there a middle of the road one that you recommend?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Shars makes one that will do the job.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mnd:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mnd:

Ok, I'll check them out, thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top