Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2023 3:07:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sketti]
My drill press sits on a bench that's not leveled (see pics below), how much of an issue will this be?

Left to Right
Attachment Attached File

Front to Back
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:20:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Not knowing the work you are planning, it would take little to no effort to shim the drill press or press table so it's level.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The table squareness to the spindle in all directions is much more important than the table level to whatever it is mounted too.  After that would be spindle runout to the chuck.  Get some bolts and shims/washers and level it if it bothers you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shortround:
The table squareness to the spindle in all directions is much more important than the table level to whatever it is mounted too.  After that would be spindle runout to the chuck.  Get some bolts and shims/washers and level it if it bothers you.
View Quote

How would I get the table squareness to the spindle in all directions? I don't really mind the unlevelness on the press, its not really noticeable. However, I wasn't sure if this would actually affect the straightness of my holes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Idaholandho:
Not knowing the work you are planning, it would take little to no effort to shim the drill press or press table so it's level.
View Quote

Not really planning anything specific just figured I would use it when I needed to drill straight holes etc. Nice to have thing. I got it for my gunsmithing setup/general workshop. Per your advise, I just purchased these

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Chuck up a piece of (straight) rod stock and use a square to check the spindle to work surface.

Bench being out of square/level is largely meaningless unless your indexing your work on it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:
Chuck up a piece of (straight) rod stock and use a square to check the spindle to work surface.

Bench being out of square/level is largely meaningless unless your indexing your work on it.
View Quote

right.  it is only chuck to table that matters except for round stock maybe rolling of the table when you turn your back.  Hint:  1. Paint chuck key something bright.  2.  buy a super magnet from HF and glue it someplace obvious but out of the road(like maybe above the power switch) .  Doing this years ago  would have saved me more time than i spend drilling stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top